Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Tingleys overshoes. Or long branches on casual days.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

Square-toed, black, rubber soled, slipon, department store shoes. The one thing they're good for, and you'll just look like the 99% of other men out there on your way in. Only when you get to the office, you swap on your nice shoes whereas the other 99% of men continue wearing theirs.

3. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

4. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I have some Tingleys (and it makes me laugh to type that...) that I'll throw on if I need to wear something that is less built for wet weather, but most of the time I just switch to one of a couple pairs of "weather boots" (JCrew boots I consider beaters although they are damn decent boots, but my Alden Indys work well too) or the J&M's I loved, over-wore and ruined in the rain (mainly because I over-wore them) but had rebuilt into rain-beaters.... (warning: non-AE content in link) ;) I have a couple pairs of AE's I'll wear because they have rubber soles (AExBB with lug soles and pebbled leather and Dainite Rust St.), but those mainly when the weather is uncertain or rain is light...

The whole "weather dimension" has fueled and complicated my acquisitions...

5. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I recently purchased an older pair of J&M boots that appeared to have very light use, with the intent of using them in foul weather. They were part of their Italian collection (Cellini). The other reason I bought them was to practice some refinishing on them before I attempt a project on a pair of AEs. I like what you did with the sole on yours. If I wear mine down enough to need a new sole, I think that I'll copy yours.

6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

So I probably shouldn't mention the NOS Lloyd & Haig shell gunboats I got for $75 this week?

7. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Wow! That is an awesome find. If they are in at-all good condition you've got an absolute classic for the price of these ugly tennis shoes I'm wearing right now for my walk at the beach.

8. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Sweet, sweet vintage shell.

9. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Burgundy shell Kenwoods are $297 in the shoebank. Its more than $75, but considering how much people in this forum love shell, I'm surprised they've hung around for this long. Is it not considered to be an attractive style?

10. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

Funny how we pay more attention to both the hourly and 5 day forecasts! 3 rain pair all with either topy or V tread. In fact old Merlot PAs resoled by a cobbler in Pctn who is turning 100 are ready for tomorrow's rain in NYC!

11. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I don't think it's the style at all. A casual burg shell loafer is darn popular and versatile. I suspect it's simply a matter of the right fit for the right foot. Loafers are just tricky for most of us. And of course, some folks don't care for loafers at all at any price.

Back to style, I suspect there are also folks who would pay three bills for a loafer if it were a full strap or tassel, and therefore a candidate for sport coat and tie, but who might back off paying that for a more casual loafer. So maybe style might have a bit of impact.

Or it might have a three inch gash in it. [​IMG]

12. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Not in my size, there aren't! I'd have them by now if there were. People keep saying they see them but I haven't seen any 10 or 10.5D.

13. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Yep. I throw on the Bostonians. Although not actually bad looking. They are a split toe black blutcher that a topied and wear as beaters to work for travel or winter.

14. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Personally, I don't wear slip ons. Not a fan of loafers or boat shoes in general. Just a personal preference. So, even if they were in my size, I'd probably just pass over them and not notice.

15. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

The walnut leeds for $209 were too tempting. Gonna have to check myself into rehab soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.