• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which shoebank location did your Daltons come from?

I don't remember which one they were listed in. I had Paramus order them into their store when I was there last week. I think they may have been in Port Washington.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It isn't. When they recraft, you get a whole new sole anyway. They rip that one off, do the welt and the hot cork and put on a complete replacement.

Only issue I would worry about is whether they're comfortable and whether you are worried about that bulge looking bad. That's for you to answer, of course.

Do you think its possible that the more ample fit could be from the boot being stitched to the sole further out towards the edge?

If I'm just standing the bulge isn't as bad as in the pictures, but when I flex my foot it becomes more pronounced. I'm definitely leaning towards keeping, but I'm going to think on it for a few days. I may be experiencing some residual barn high.

HoldenMI

Reaction score
I don't remember which one they were listed in. I had Paramus order them into their store when I was there last week. I think they may have been in Port Washington.
Get them from Kristen? I ordered some shoes from her and thought she was great to deal with.

The reason I asked where you got them is because I've had especially bad luck with the Consumer Assistance Center. Maybe the worst of the seconds end up there. Or maybe it's just because they can't eyeball the shoes while you're on the phone with them and give you an honest description. Your Daltons don't look bad at all, especially compared to some of the crap I've received from the CAC.

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think its possible that the more ample fit could be from the boot being stitched to the sole further out towards the edge?

If I'm just standing the bulge isn't as bad as in the pictures, but when I flex my foot it becomes more pronounced. I'm definitely leaning towards keeping, but I'm going to think on it for a few days. I may be experiencing some residual barn high.
If the bulge is just aesthetic... wouldn't that area experience some creasing anyway? I'd say keep them. They look good otherwise!

joman8390

Reaction score

Went to the "barn" today and got a little filthy. Merlot Strand firsts. Got these today (at the $245 Father's Day sale price HA!). Thought you all might be interested in some pics and thoughts. Apologies for the lighting, its the best I can do today. Closer up. To me the actual color is in-between the above and below but much closer to the picture above. Comparison with my Walnut Strands, the color in this picture is the most accurate: I had them bring out a pair of Oxblood Strands when I was in the store to compare the Merlot to Oxblood. I know I'm going to fail miserably at describing this, but the color is almost the same, but much darker for the Merlot. Also, most of the Oxblood I've seen has a sort of satin finish (which I like), the Merlot is shiny. When I ordered these up last week, I was actually going to order the Oxbloods. Kristen (at Paramus) suggested I may like the Merlot (which I guess is not a standard makeup, i.e. not normally listed on the AE website in the Strand). It was an easy decision for me since she said she would honor the $275 sale price on the Oxblood if I didn't like them. Frankly I love them. I also took a cursory look at a pair of the Dk. Chili Strands while I was there. Haven't really formed an opinion on those vs. the Brown Burnished, but I think I'm leaning Dk. Chili. Edit: Left my phone in the car so no pics from the store.
I just got a pair in oxblood, but those merlot look mighty appealing. I think I may have to have both, or are they too similar in color and use?

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get them from Kristen? I ordered some shoes from her and thought she was great to deal with.

The reason I asked where you got them is because I've had especially bad luck with the Consumer Assistance Center. Maybe the worst of the seconds end up there. Or maybe it's just because they can't eyeball the shoes while you're on the phone with them and give you an honest description. Your Daltons don't look bad at all, especially compared to some of the crap I've received from the CAC.

Yes, Kristen is great. I went last week to check out some fits because of the sale that was going on, and had her order them at that time. She also tracked down a Khaki McTavish in my size, but unfortunately it was an inventory error, else I would have walked out with 3 pairs today.

As you state they can't (or won't) check conditions at the CAC, thats why I just have them sent to the Paramus store. If I don't like them I don't have to bother with the return process.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair in oxblood, but those merlot look mighty appealing. I think I may have to have both, or are they too similar in color and use?

I would not say they are similar in color. Similar in hue, but much darker. Also they aren't as ruby in color as the Merlot Jeffersons I posted a picture of about a week ago. They definitely have more brown in them than those. As for use I would say yes they would likely match up with anything you might wear with Oxblood. But, I suppose the answer consistent with this forum would be, "If you don't have BOTH you may as well not have feet."
facepalm.gif

HoldenMI

Reaction score
Yes, Kristen is great. I went last week to check out some fits because of the sale that was going on, and had her order them at that time. She also tracked down a Khaki McTavish in my size, but unfortunately it was an inventory error, else I would have walked out with 3 pairs today.

As you state they can't (or won't) check conditions at the CAC, thats why I just have them sent to the Paramus store. If I don't like them I don't have to bother with the return process.
Wish I had an outlet near me. It really irks me when the CAC wants to charge a restocking fee after sending me utter garbage. I'm now very wary about ordering from the CAC, whereas I wouldn't hesitate to order from any other outlet if something interesting came up in my size on shoebank. At least there's a retail store near me, but they don't stock my size (B width).

Last edited:

styleaudit91

Reaction score

Late submission of walnut Wednesday. I know I posted these a couple weeks back but hadn't had a chance to WW them yet. Wore for 14 hours feeling pretty good, and started to break in for me. But need a couple more wears to even some lump in the cork.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my father's day catalog. Wow, pretty much nothing is on ale. Guess we'll see what happens in late June.

My only experiences with the CAC have been excellent. Carlyle's looked like 1sts and my Clark Street's were near flawless as well.

HoldenMI

Reaction score
Just got my father's day catalog. Wow, pretty much nothing is on ale. Guess we'll see what happens in late June.

My only experiences with the CAC have been excellent. Carlyle's looked like 1sts and my Clark Street's were near flawless as well.
The merlot PAs I got from the CAC are excellent. Have no idea why they are seconds. The other four pair I've received from them have had major flaws from incredibly wrinkled leather to severely misaligned wing tip to an uneven heel. Those are all apparent defects that would have been caught by any other SA. I think cosmetic blemishes in seconds are ok and that's the reason for the discount, however there is a limit when the flaws are obvious from a distance.

The Hopkinsons (had to return due to sizing) and MacNeils I got through Kristen were almost flawless and I could not complain about them as seconds.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The merlot PAs I got from the CAC are excellent. Have no idea why they are seconds. The other four pair I've received from them have had major flaws from incredibly wrinkled leather to severely misaligned wing tip to an uneven heel. Those are all apparent defects that would have been caught by any other SA. I think cosmetic blemishes in seconds are ok and that's the reason for the discount, however there is a limit when the flaws are obvious from a distance.

The Hopkinsons (had to return due to sizing) and MacNeils I got through Kristen were almost flawless and I could not complain about them as seconds.

Yeah, I understand. I prefer to order from the Ohio store, as they've never disappointed me. I think any of the stores where they can see them is the best way to go. You are rolling the dice when you order from the CAC. I've been lucky, so far.

I do see that the merlot Park Aves are on sale for $245. If I used my amex card offer, it would be around $200 for a 1st PA. Definitely worth considering. I might drive to the south coast store to test if the 65 last will work for me. I have doubts it will.

Dd1101

Reaction score
Quote:
Thats how the Pats are made, Just wore mine tonight. I also have them in Shell and they are not made with reinforced heel cups.

Last edited:

HoldenMI

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand. I prefer to order from the Ohio store, as they've never disappointed me. I think any of the stores where they can see them is the best way to go. You are rolling the dice when you order from the CAC. I've been lucky, so far.

I do see that the merlot Park Aves are on sale for $245. If I used my amex card offer, it would be around $200 for a 1st PA. Definitely worth considering. I might drive to the south coast store to test if the 65 last will work for me. I have doubts it will.
Based on my experience, if you have an average or low instep, the 65 should work for you. I have a low instep and the older lasts, such as the 65, 97 and 511 fit me. I really wanted the Hopkinson in Merlot, but the instep of the 201 is too high for me. So, I have the PA in merlot. Same with the Rutledge--the instep of the 333 is too high for me, so it was a no-go.

I've gotten a decent amount of use with the merlot PAs. They look great with charcoal and medium gray suits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads