Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

What do you mean by hard as a rock at the heel cup? Are they uncomfortable?

2. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion. Both of the Achser and the Grayson(and all of my other AE fully-lined shoes) have full heel cup stiffeners that make heel counter feel supportive and steady. But on these Patriots, the sides of the heel counter are not so reinforced therefore they feel very soft and not durable as other pairs... Not sure if it just happens to this particular pair or the Patriots was designed like this.

Anyway, I just paid $137 for these and I don't think I'll send them back...

3. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

Look what Mr UPS just brought. Timing was perfect - I'm working from home today and he arrived right after my wife left to take my kids to an event so she is none the wiser. Hopefully it's not too late for my contribution to Walnut Wednesday.

[​IMG]

A few observations:

The current Walnut is markedly darker from the one I saw in store late last year. It's not so much the base color itself, but the amount of brown polish they layer on top. It's not really burnishing either, it appears to be sprayed on evenly. If you look at the toe cap, about 1/4 inch in front of the cap seam, you can see a straight line across dividing the colors, it looks like the mask the shoe with tape and then spray it.

At some point, I may just use some AE Cleaner/Conditioner to strip it bare and then apply a light coat of brown polish on the toe cap and along the seams.

I'm glad I stepped up to 10E in the Strands. I had to commit some unnatural acts with a shoe stretcher to make my 10D pairs comfortable. And I'm very much a D on the Brannock.

4. J o s h

J o s h Senior member

Haha, love it!

5. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Anyone else start out in the AE thread, make their way to the Alden one, then over to Vass, C&J, J Fitzpatrick, G&G...then work is over and you don't remember anything? Me either

6. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I think I've done that more with the watch threads on watchuseek. I think I've got shoes pretty figured out so I'm trying to expand my subtly improve other areas of my wardrobe and I find watches fascinating... so many options.

Some of those other brands have some crazy looking stuff that is probably too over-the-top fashionable than my style allows.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016

7. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

It's in North park, San Diego... I called them after my last post and they don't do Bonafe. The person who told me about them was mistaken. I was SO excited, too! Alas, the only place nearby to see bonafe in person seems to be in Beverly Hills or at a store in West Hollywood, so that's a half day wasted driving for me.

Anyway, it's Gentlemen's footwear. Google says that's these guys -- http://gentlemensfootwear.myshopify.com/collections/shoes they do Carmina and several other great brands, and claim to do Alden (though they don't have much stock.) And they seem into doing group orders, which makes me happy. I know I've got an AE store 90 minutes north of me and another alternative just 20-30 minutes away, so it'll be easy when I'm ready for a really nice pair.

8. froyz25

froyz25 Member

My first official contribution to Walnut Wednesday!

Walnut Jeffersons picked up from the shoe bank for $179!

[​IMG]

9. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

SCORE! Those the 1.0 Jeffersons? They're awesome shoes, and that's a fantastic bargain.

10. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Went to the "barn" today and got a little filthy.

Merlot Strand firsts. Got these today (at the $245 Father's Day sale price HA!). Thought you all might be interested in some pics and thoughts. Apologies for the lighting, its the best I can do today.

[​IMG]

Closer up. To me the actual color is in-between the above and below but much closer to the picture above.

[​IMG]

Comparison with my Walnut Strands, the color in this picture is the most accurate:

[​IMG]

I had them bring out a pair of Oxblood Strands when I was in the store to compare the Merlot to Oxblood. I know I'm going to fail miserably at describing this, but the color is almost the same, but much darker for the Merlot. Also, most of the Oxblood I've seen has a sort of satin finish (which I like), the Merlot is shiny.

When I ordered these up last week, I was actually going to order the Oxbloods. Kristen (at Paramus) suggested I may like the Merlot (which I guess is not a standard makeup, i.e. not normally listed on the AE website in the Strand). It was an easy decision for me since she said she would honor the $275 sale price on the Oxblood if I didn't like them. Frankly I love them. I also took a cursory look at a pair of the Dk. Chili Strands while I was there. Haven't really formed an opinion on those vs. the Brown Burnished, but I think I'm leaning Dk. Chili.

Edit: Left my phone in the car so no pics from the store.

11. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

More filth. I also snagged Bourbon Daltons that had been listed on ShoeBank. These are seconds, and I was expecting the worst, but they don't seem too bad. No real tiger striping, but the burnishing seems a bit heavy in some spots (not that big a deal). The ubiquitous slight eyelet misalignment, and looking at the soles, the stitching doesn't seem to be very well centered. My big concerns are 1) when I tried them in the store they seemed a little loose, but I was wearing very thin socks. I typically wear thicker boot socks with my Daltons, and when I got home and tried them on with those socks they feel much better, but not quite as snug as my other pair (that other pair has Dainite soles if that makes a difference). 2) The right boot has something of a weird bulge in the ankle. Its more evident if I flex my foot back. I took some pictures, but its not the easiest angle to shoot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shots of the odd ankle bulge:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Soles:

[​IMG]

Anyone have thoughts on the bulge or the soles? I don't think the sole issue is an issue. From above they look fine, but I wonder if it may affect a redrafting down the line. Thanks.

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I mentioned a few months ago that a pair of new dark chili Daltons felt significantly looser than my other two pairs that were older. I don't know what they're doing differently but you're not the only one who experienced this.

14. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

The thing is I don't have any way of knowing when these were made compared to yours, but maybe it IS something.

BTW, I so wish those Natty shells in your .sig were my size.

15. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Senior member

Which shoebank location did your Daltons come from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.