Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

I'm glad to hear they make a perfect pair. My first pair was pretty beat up with scuffs but worst of all the inside of one of the shoes didn't even get dyed. About a centimeter thick 3 inch long section of a pale color.

2. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

cross post from MTO thread

Wearing 2014 MTO chestnut Dublin Odenwalds, made on 511 last in size 15.

And just conditioned these two 2014 MTO Long Branches,
    black CXL and golden brown CXL, both with medallion only perforations.

[​IMG]

3. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Pretty nice -- what brand is that?

4. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

Those are beautiful.

5. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Such a busy Tuesday that I forgot to post pics of my AEs. Walnut Black Hills - a SUPER comfy, beater shoe that occasionally pinch hits for my (rainy day) boots. These have received a coat or two of conditioner cleaner/Bick 4, but that's about it. At some point these need some TLC, and maybe some new laces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

(Unintentional, close enough to walnut) Walnut Wednesday! I keep thinking it is Tuesday... great in that Friday is right around the corner, bad for this week's to-do list.
    Golden Brown CXL Long Branch, with the yellow laces that came with my MTO Normandy boots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Looks like some Magnannis?

8. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

No.

AE has its good and bad points, like every company, but customer service is almost never a bad point. If you try on a pair of shoes that hasn't been explicitly sold "As is", they will take them back. And they'll probably be cheery and very helpful when doing so. It's one of the best points of dealing with them.

9. J o s h

J o s h Senior member

Yes, Magnanni. The Luca model in mid brown. I find most of their models a bit pointy myself, but this one is perfect for me. In fact I'm wearing them today!

They look and feel great. And while we should dress for ourselves first, I do love the frequent compliments that I get from women when wearing these shoes!

[​IMG]

Lobster, depending on where you live they may or may not be available in a brick and mortar retail store. I bought mine after trying them on at an independent menswear store that is affiliated with other similar stores around the country. They had one of their sister stores send them to the store near me before purchasing. I wear the same size in the Luca as I do in the Park Ave, though the Luca gives my toes more wiggle room.

$395 at retail.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016

10. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Its summer people! Woven shoes and sockless boats are the order of the day.

[​IMG]

11. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

I don't mean to bitch too much. I mean, I have two good pair and a couple of more-than-adequate pair of AEs. They're nice to me in customer service, even when I have problems.

The thing is, at some point last year I decided I wanted to stick with fewer, higher end shoes and since then the prices have all gone up and selection down. Ironically, my cheap Rutledge convinced me of this, as the leather is just better and I can see and feel it. I thought the Indy line would be good to focus on when they went 201, but at the current price I'm reticent. I have been lusting after shell, too, but AE just doesn't make shell in my lasts. As I said, I'd totally get shell strands if they made a 201 last version -- maybe shell bartletts -- but they don't. Plus, their shell isn't much cheaper than others', so it isn't worth wearing a poorly fit shoe just for fancy leather.

There's a place pretty close (much closer than the nearest AE store, especially when you consider traffic) that stocks Carmina and has some Bonafe and Alden in what should be my size. I really should visit and see what lasts I can squeeze my feet into and then look for bargains or shoes I REALLY want -- be they Allen Edmonds or another fine manufacturer. For all I know, by the time I've decided I'm ready for something new, AE might have started expanding their line again.

12. J o s h

J o s h Senior member

Moose, where is that store?

13. mosy

mosy Senior member

Recent pickups during sale - dark chili 5th Ave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

Salt enter wound

15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Do you find a difference in the feel of the brown vs natural OSB CXL leather? I own the natural CXL loafers with the normal leather sole, and a pair of the crepe soled brown ones. The brown ones seem much softer, while the natural feels more stiff. I've owned both for the same (relatively short) amount of time.

I had been considering getting a pair of brown leather-soled loafers, but actually now that I see the beautiful new cognac calf beefroll loafer they have, I may have to go for that instead.

/OSB

Back on topic, I realized last weekend that I went even crazier on last year's boat shoe sale than I thought. Back in June for the Father's Day (I think?) sale, they were all $125. I bought a pair of golden brown CXL Maritimes, and liked the fit and feel/look so much that I then bought 3 more pairs - dark brown Maritime, navy Maritime, and dark brown Kirkwood. Overkill I now realize, but I do like them all. Getting back to last weekend, I went to move some stuff around (I am moving in a few weeks and trying to pack boxes) and I realized I had forgotten about the dark brown Maritimes still sitting in their box (worn 1-2 times, and then stored away for the winter ostensibly). Here I was thinking I was crazy for the 3 shoes I had purchased all at once, forgetting about the 4th.

I, like many of you barnweasels, clearly have a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.