1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbm1

sbm1 New Member

Hello all. I've followed this thread for a while and wanted to get your feedback.

I have a pair of Merlot Maxfields that are about done and not worth resoling. With the upcoming sale, I'd like to replace with another Merlot.

I primarily use these for travel in a business casual setting (wool trousers and shirt never a coat given the office standard) to carry one pair of shoes to match a few pant colors.

With that said, would the McAllister be too formal? I've searched a few threads and it seems to always be a mention of a coat. Should I look toward the Randolph instead? I don't like fit of the Maxfield or I'd reorder that.

Sorry for the long post, look forward to your feedback. Thanks!

2. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior Member

LaSalle today... Loving this shoe, pretty confident I can pull it off with a blue or light gray suit. [​IMG]

3. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior Member

Like you, it is probably my favorite design, and I don't own any of them. That's what comes from my primarily shopping for close out seconds, I guess. However, until now my priority has been to cover my bases with good shoes, and now that I have the shoes I need for work, plus loafers, a suede pair, and a dress boot, I hope to slowly add to it/replace my old pairs with some more strands. Brown will probably be my next pair.

4. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

I find myself doing exactly the same thing.

To anyone looking for further confirmation their summer catalog just came in the mail and it does have a merlot strand for $245. McAllister, PA, randolph, maxfield, 5A and strand in merlot for $245 (maxfield $175). Sea Islands are on sale yet again, maritime $125, cheetah $195, schreier $225. They also show a fall sneak peak of "St. John's" which is a double monk strap with perfing on the cap toe and the "Liverpool" chelsea boot. Sale from June 2-19.

Last edited: May 31, 2016

5. thera

thera Member

Any walnut belts on sale?

6. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

The Poplar is on sale in all colors at $79

7. thera

thera Member

Thx!

8. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Distinguished Member

As to the former, I'm of the same mind. As to the later, to paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School, "you're leaving out a whole lotta stuff."

* Memorial Day
    * Flag Day (June 14)
    * Fourth of July
    * Any election day
    * Spring and summer outdoor events where one might wear a more typical spectator.
    * Hanging around somewhat disreputable folks at the horse track or political conventions (but I repeat myself)

9. RTD1

RTD1 Senior Member

Memorial Day is supposed to be a somber day of reflection on those who gave everything, I wouldn't wear flashy shoes.

Flag Day is not an actual federal holiday, and I believe the only state where it's celebrated as an official state holiday is Pennsylvania. Had you not posted the date, I'd have had to look it up.

Election Day? I've voted by absentee ballot every year for at least the last 8 or 9 years, so I'm not sure where I'd wear them if not to a polling location.

Outdoor event? I'd be embarrassed at any sort of event short of a patriotic-themed parade.

Horse tracks and political conventions I have no experience with, but I could kind of see it fitting in at the latter.

[​IMG]

10. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

Me too! My favorite old man shoes.

[​IMG]

11. Middlife

Middlife Senior Member

I think I'm going to have to pick up a pair of Maritimes at $125. I've heard a lot of noise about the brown chromexcel color looking great but the suede is appealing as well. What do you guys think?

12. Burzan

Burzan Distinguished Member

I have the Golden Brown and the Navy maritime and they are both fantastic. I think the Brown from this year is like the middle loafer, which is Brown CXL from Oak Street Bootmakers. The suede offerings this year are quite nice too, I really like the Jade and the Bone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Wow! Love that lineup. What are the 3 loafers with no laces?

14. Burzan

Burzan Distinguished Member

Natural CXL from OSB
    Brown CXL from OSB
    Loden Fenmore, made in USA from GH Bass

15. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

The rest of this week is supposed to be super crappy weather, so Walnut Wednesday is happening on a Tuesday (socks are in honor of my university's baseball team advancing this weekend):
    [​IMG]

Also, received my blue suede Cavanaughs in the mail:
    [​IMG]

I also received black Grayson's in the mail, but the seller shipped my the wrong size with Commando soles- those are definitely going back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.