Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

There's a Merlot strand for $245? It makes me second-guess my order of oxblood strands for $275, which I haven't yet received and which possibly haven't even been built yet.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Navy McAllisters today with Gustin taupe denim.

[​IMG]

3. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I'm definitely interested in boat shoes and suede. If anyone has details please share :)

4. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

I think both colors could have a place in your rotation. Not to say one fills a void the other wouldn't but I like both quite a bit. I have the oxblood myself but merlot in the Mcallister. Going to potentially order the merlot strand during the sale.

5. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Anyone looking for the Cornwallis in 10.5D chili? I am goin to return mine. Gonna give all first dibs since sale is off. PM me.

6. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Stop posting these!(kidding, sorta) I wish this was something still offered because they are great looking.

They definitely can have a place in the rotation. The merlot McAllister is a nice somewhat more formalish look while the oxblood has a more pop/red going on. I wasn't aware they made the Strand in merlot but if they do I don't think you can really go wrong as both colors look good. It doesn't really make sense to me that merlot Strands would hit the market at $245 after having just put all other strands on sale for $275.

7. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

Merlot isn't a standard color in which the Strand is offered. I think it's exclusive to the upcoming sale. Sort of like how Dark Chili is exclusive to Strands from Nordstroms. I've come to the realization that I'll eventually own Strands in every color except black (currently have Dark Chili and Oxblood, with Walnut arriving tomorrow). It's just such an incredibly versatile shoe.

As for pricing, someone else mentioned earlier in this thread about not ever paying full price on AE. I tend to agree. I'm up to 9 now, all new firsts, and didn't pay full price for any of them. Paying $395 for a pair of AEs is like going into JAB on one of the rare days they don't have a Buy 1 Get 3 Free sale and buying one suit at list.

8. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I agree with never paying full price for firsts from AE, there is always a sale around the corner. What is surprising is the offer of even cheaper strands almost immediately after having a 30% off sale on them even in the midnight navy color. Dark Chili is exclusive to nordstroms but it is an available color where merlot is not an exclusive to anyone. If it is a sale time offer only then it would seem to be like midnight blue except in a more available leather color. I also agree I eventually want strands in every color except black (perhaps 1 or two barlett instead but same look). Also want a shell strand in brown. It is my favorite AE shoe and I currently own 0. I have ordered the midnight navy ones, hopefully they turn out as good as the pictures. Otherwise I will exchange for walnut.

9. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

This is just my personal opinion, and I mean no offense to anyone, but I just can't imagine wearing navy Strands with anything in a business environment and I struggle to envision wearing them casually. On the bright side, I suppose they are slightly more versatile than the red, white, and blue webgems someone posted, which I can't envision being worn in any other context than a parade on the 4th of July.

10. M2511

M2511 Senior member

It will certainly depend on how dark or light the shoe turns out. I can wear them in my business environment but I imagine for others it will be more difficult. The pictures which maybe turn out different in real life seem to go with kahki, navy, or grey depending on your style. I probably won't wear them with jeans but who knows. I would say they have the potential to be considerably more versatile than the red, white and blue webgems that I agree seemingly only make sense on patriotic holidays.

11. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior member

I just received a Hopkinson in Black and if that's piping I will pass. Mine are going back pronto.

12. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Here is a close up of the piping on my Hopkinsons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Back in the office counting down the days to the 4th of July. Comfy Lauderdales.

[​IMG]

14. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

As previously stated I believe it is a special color for the upcoming sale.

I love the stand as well. I have them now in midnight navy, black, oxblood, walnut and brown. The merlot may need to also come home especially if dainite is offered.

Still haven't seen anything regarding the 1776.

15. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior member

Thanks Matt.

I opened the box and I can barely see that "piping". Not what I had in mind for the upgraded Independence Collection.

I have the Jefferson 1.0 in all three colors and the 2.0 Hopkinson leather does not feel/seem the same to me. Gotta send these back and continue my search for another nice black cap-toe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.