1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

I have never seen bourbon that color. Every time I saw it in person, it had a sickly greenish hue. I could never understand the love it got here. But that color? That color I dig.

2. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I love mine in chili as well and I was considering a pair in walnut in the near future if a second sticks around in my size for a while. Was the only reason you didn't keep them because of the splotchiness? Do you have any pics?

3. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Well, the spots of darker color didn't help, but I was always only planning on keeping one, and I prefer the chili color for both suits and odd jackets (don't tell anyone, but I would probably even wear them with dark jeans). Walnut for me is only for very light grey and mid to light blues, so it just isn't as versatile. Especially since I have both the Strawfut in brown/linen and the Boone in sand for linen/seersucker suits.
    Haven't returned the walnut yet; I'll post pics tonight. They looked pretty great aside from the spotting on one shoe.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Rubik1014 How could you do that to me [​IMG]. Yeah I'm actually relieved - by my last count im up to 43 pairs, a sign I need to slow down.

5. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Why slow down? Especially when a nice even number like 50 is so close!

I've been telling myself to slow down too. I have done a decent job tapping the breaks, but still have a few models on the wish list: Normandy (with actual contrast stitching), Cornwallis, and perhaps a casual suede loafer (like the sea island).

1 person likes this.
  6. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

It would indeed! I'd love a bal version, which the Cornwallis should be (but isn't due to the dreadful 1943 last).

7. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Speaking of suede loafers...
    We'll, technically not suede, but wore my Addison loafers today. Went well with the hot and wet forecast.
    [​IMG]

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yeah, that's right, these are awesome.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  9. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Member

I don't think I have 43 pairs of anything!

10. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I love that shoe for the exactly look that you are going for. How long have you had those / how many wears? All the eBay ones I see have me worried about how that nubuck (?) leather ages.

11. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

That's impressive...

Something I've thought about and never seen brought up here...

Does anyone else think AE could do something for customer loyalty like this? I've acquired around 15 pair in about two years, and that is nothing compared to some.

I would love something like a buy 10, get your 11th free program. It's 10% off, and only for the select few that are willing to make a significant purchase block.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  12. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

So, a bit of an update on my resizing journey that I started on Sunday. I had AE stretch my bourbon PAs and the results were fantastic. I think I'll have the same done for my bourbon strands and probably just one of my Bradleys as my own fit is the trouble maker on that shoe. If you are ever undecided on a shoe, I would err on the side of tight and have AE stretch them if they don't loosen up after they break in. Way better than trying to fill a bigger shoe up with a bulky insole.

I'm undecided on my Rutledges as I haven't worn them enough to know how they will break in and I would think the Indy leather is going to stretch more than the regular calf.

I'm rather excited to get the 12B Strands tomorrow from the Nordstrom exchange as I don't really know what it feels like to have a shoe in a narrow width that actually supports my mid foot. I've been swimming in my shoes for 31 years and it has really caused my feet to flatten out and arches collapse. This could be a real game changer.

1 person likes this.
  13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Grade A enablement.

2 people like this.
  14. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

Also does anyone think there is any way to get the wedding deal without actually getting married? The discount all in at $150 seems pretty good.

I was at my AE store yesterday and was told they are doing a "soles4souls" promotion of $50 for a trade in on March 10th. And the Anniversary sale in April appears to not be including Cornwallis. [​IMG]

15. robster35

robster35 Senior member

and just like that,someone snagged the snuff suede McGregors i had in my auction site watch list. knew i shoulda picked em up quicker. gorgeous shoe

16. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Better off to pay full shell price for calf. Still would be cheaper than getting married.

1 person likes this.
  17. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

Question... the right shoe on my new McGregors has some wrinkles where it's creasing in the forefoot. I know creasing is normal with calf, but are the wrinkles near the creasing anything to be concerned about?

Don't recall seeing this on my other AE's.

[​IMG]

18. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Pics as promised:
    [​IMG]
    And a close-up of the vamp. Not sure why they burnished these so heavily; I prefer minimally burnished walnut calf.
    [​IMG]

19. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Wow! Looks like those went the way of a bourbon burnishing by accident. I suppose they could even out some, but definitely not firsts grade shoes.

20. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Shoe looks a little long... do you feel like the toe box is flimsy at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.