Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

You don't? Amateur hour!! ;)

Local B&M. Ordering off the bank, just wanted to make sure size was on. Moras in bourbon.

2. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

I would order in a heartbeat- is there supposedly one coming out?

3. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

I don't fully buy the cost reduction to stay competitive theory that corporate America has been feeding the general public for a good while now. Of course, if you shift your target demographic to the Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and Macy's crowds, which AE has done, and your goal is to put every men walking the face of the earth into a pair of walnut Strand, things will need to change. Today, AE is available at 30-40% discount year round, and they are clearly not competing with Alden or the lower- tier European manufacturers, but instead, Cole Haan and J & M. The person that is ready to pay $400 per pair, is very descerning when it comes down to quality, style, and value in general. After all, Alden and European manufacturers have done OK making higher end shoes, because they have stayed tuned to the needs of their core customer base. Just my 2 cents.

4. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Coming soon, very soon, from what I was told.

5. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Nice, thanks for the heads up- I'll hold off on buying the Warwicks I was looking at, in that case.

Also, in regards to the original question- I would wear them all the time between Memorial Day and Labor Day. My Jingle Bell Moks were worn around 2-3 times a week between Thanksgiving and New Years (a couple days per week at work, and Christmas parties on the weekends)- I imagine a patriotic shoe would be the summer version of the JBM for me.

6. delmar

delmar Senior member

I have a pair of the red, white, and blue web-gems from a few years ago. I wear them when I go to vote and on Veterans Day too.

7. FinanceIS

FinanceIS Member

So it looks like merlot shoes will be on sale for a good price.

Is this color more of a red? or a burgundy? or reddish brown? I'm not sure how to perceive the color. Would appreciate if someone could show off some of their merlot's.

I need wingtips bad, and heart has been set on walnut Mc Allisters, just waiting to catch a pair for cheap.. So buying a merlot pair of Mc Allisters will be a win-lose of sorts.. Is this color too informal for Park Aves?

8. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Well-Known Member

I have merlot in the PAs and find it very useful. I wear it with charcoal and medium gray suits, and occasionally navy or brown suits as well (usually wear dark chili with the latter two). It's darker than oxblood and would consider it burgundy, maybe with a slight tinge of dark red. Like many colors, it can vary greatly depending on the lighting, so description and pictures are relative. I would describe dark chili as reddish brown and think of AE's merlot as much closer to burgundy.

9. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Yea as
    That's been my one question I never see answered clearly. Are all uppers in DR, and if so where can I see that? I thought that might be the case, but I don't see it explicitly anywhere aside from wikipedia, and the source there doesn't have a clear reference to them being made there. PG never answers that question when presented, so all I go off is the factory tour, where we see uppers being made in WI.

10. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

[​IMG]

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

That's not bad. For some reason I thought shell boots were $725.

This has beenPaul's stated strategy for years. Not to try to convert CJ and Church customers, but to convert Ecco and Kenneth Cole customers.

I don't think AE has to worry about competing with Alden or Carmina. AE sells as many shoes in a day as Alden does in a month. They want to grow and expand. Alden wants to stay small and pure.

Apples and oranges, IMO

12. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Just noticed they don't put piping on the Hopkinson. Are you ----- kidding me?! [​IMG]

13. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

They do, it just isn't as obvious as on the regular line models (which originally turned me off of piping). You can see it better in this picture, it's almost internal. [​IMG]

Also, that's a nice rear end :embar:

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  14. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Ah, thanks! I probably overreacted anyway. It's definitely hard to tell in the pics. This will likely be my next shoe.

15. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

These shoes look great. How about these with a red Dainite sole?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.