Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

I've been using a little bit of every polish, but the rain has been fighting the finish. I like to think of it as antiquing

I work in cube-vile, I'm just waiting for a part to be delivered. It was this or some macallisters, but a pair of wing tips would have been even more out of place...

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'm a bit of a tweener - great in 11.5D in a McTavish, but a little tight and poor closure in a Strand that no size combination seems to fix without unacceptable tradeoffs. I'd like to get an E and D in the same room to try them on...

3. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

Some might say that the Carlyle, Macneil, and Leeds are bread and butter. At a minimum, they are dress shoes, and should have a finished heel. If you want to eliminate the piping on the Badlands and other jeans shoes, fine, but not these.

4. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

So then why discount shoes from $395 to $275 4 times a year? It sets consumer expectations that your shoes cost that much, and there's no reason to ever pay retail. I'd rather pay more and get the piping. I'm happy to pay retail most of the time, but they don't make me. Maybe most people are paying retail, but I have no idea and they aren't telling. But considering how well Alden and Carmina do, it seems like there's a good spot to come in beneath them but still not compromise QC and build quality.

Last edited: May 28, 2016

5. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

My last two posts have been somewhat negative, so here's some appreciation. I love my walnut Rutledges. [​IMG]

They fit great, look great, and I got them off the bank for a steal!

6. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

I haven't paid more than half price for any of my pairs of Allen Edmonds. I found two pairs of new firsts on eBay for $140 and $160 (Six Avenue and Clifton), clearance MacNeil 1.0s for $197, and Shoebank pairs for $125 (Dalton and Elgin) , $147 (McGraw), $157 (suede Park Avenues), and $197 (Jefferson 1.0 and Dundee 2.0). Oh, and Chester wingtips for $15 at a thrift shop. I only started buying Allen Edmonds in 2013, so I can't comment on how their quality compares to the old days, but I have basically paid Johnston & Murphy or Cole Haan prices for every pair in my closet. And they've been sizes that few other manufactures make, or at least keep in stock. Considering how it's virtually impossible to get Alden and Carmina at discount, I'm happy to continue to buy Allen Edmonds, even if the piping is less than ideal.

7. vmss

vmss Senior member

How does the current Allen Edmonds line compare to the old days? Are their any big differences in terms of overall quality and material between the old AE and the current AE?

8. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain to me what exactly "piping" is?:embar:

9. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

It's that line at the top of your shoes by the ankle, aka that dark line that looks like a little pipe. I'm going to use an "interesting" shoe to demonstrate.

10. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

A piece of leather that gets folded over the edge of the opening of the shoe that that it looks finished, rather than having the raw leather just end.

11. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

Thank you both, gents. I've found my AEs without the piping in that area scuff much easier.

By the way, the catalog I received today says Merlot collection will be $245 for the Father's Day sale.
    [​IMG]

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Oops - walked away from my PC for a while before hitting *ENTER*

Sorry for the duplicate content

14. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Perfect advice

15. Oinkedmoo