Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I, too, LOVE cxl - but was worried about them in something more formal. They've aged nicely and I'm ok with the darkening. Has actually allowed me to feel better about them in more formal pairings. My other cxl are pretty close to yours: Kirks in brown, navy, and red; Maries and LBs in golden brown; and natural Clark Sts.

2. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

I have a pair of Rush Streets as well but they have not darkened. I have not put anything on them as long as I've had them. I've simply brushed them and used my trees. What do I use on the CXL to darken them and also soften them? Will VSC darken them?

3. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I have used Bick 4 on them twice. The rest has just been damp wiping and brushing. I have noticed a lightening near the toes, almost like the finish is getting thinner... or considering the CXL, maybe the oils have shifted to reveal slightly lighter patches. Moving forward I will be a little more cautious caring for them (i.e. just leave them alone).

4. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Jefferson in 9D for $177 in brown on the shoebank. Wish this would fit me. I have to imagine there is something really wrong with it as its not the first time I've noticed it. I'm tempted to order it just to see if A its ok and B if I can jam my foot in it. 9E on the 5. I know the 201 is supposed to be a little wider but I don't think enough to make up for the size difference.

5. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

These were summer 2014 webgems. The austerity came stock with linen as well. @peppercorn78 MTO'd a really nice pair, I think he was the only one smart enough to do so. And no one (to my knowledge) got one in shell, which seems a damn shame. [​IMG] Oh hey, they were pushing sockless then, too!

Last edited: May 27, 2016

6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Interesting. I thought the same thing about sockless.

7. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

Wasn't Paul the CEO recently talking about an austerity wingtip on an AMA?

8. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Its casual Friday going into a three day weekend. Going home early today and I feel like going against the flow of all of the talk of blue Strands and Memorial Day sales. I will revel in my comfortable, casual shoe.

[​IMG]

9. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Quick question. Was the Sea Island suede loafer made in the USA before? I've read something about that but didn't know if it was true or not. Or maybe it was called something else before? Not sure...

10. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Senior member

I believe that the Jefferson was on the 65 last. The Jefferson 2.0 is on the 201 last. And based on my experience, the 201 is a lot roomier. I'm a 10.5 B on the 65, but a 10 B on the 201 is too big for me.

11. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Wearing my favorite casual today (Clark). Found some ways to almost completely eliminate the heel slip, so I'm pleased. Going home early today too after this crazy week.

12. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Umm.... I would say it fits roughly a 1/2 size wider than the 5. You'd probably have a decent shot at stretching it, too, since it has the Indy leather.

13. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

He was. He also mentioned a shortwing blucher, which he's been talking about for two years now. So fingers crossed, but it's a long way from conception to shelf.

It was, as a webgem that Paul said didn't sell well enough. So they moved production offshore, brought it back at the same MSRP with higher-quality suede, and discount it $100 routinely. I object to DR-made shoes retailing for $295, especially since they have US-made handsewns retailing under $300, including the Sanibel on the same last and the Cavanaugh which comes in suede (presumably not Stead).

14. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Good catch I didn't even look for the 2.0 marker. You are right the 1.0 was on the 65 last.

Good info in case any pop up in my size on the bay. If none do I will order several pairs from them during the RDA sale to get sized accordingly since their store near me apparently doesn't carry much beyond the display of the indy line.

15. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Damn. I didn't know. You think it's worth it for the $199 sale price right now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.