• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I understand the arguments against wearing dress oxfords with jeans. That being said, I see it a LOT. The reasons I was leaning towards the Strands were the sale, the Amex $50, and a pretty decent discount I can get. If the strands are too formal, I could always purchase something a little less formal in the near future......

Echoes14

Reaction score
I completely understand. If your collection is small, then versatility is important. Brown is the most versatile. Oxblood is the second-most versatile, but is more fun. Walnut is probably the most fun, but the least versatile. If you don't have a good non-Allen Edmonds brown shoe, then I would suggest giving some thought to the brown Strands.
I'm from Buffalo, so I completely hear you on that. If you waterproof it, they're actually okay in the rain, but slush and, worst of all, salt, are just killer.
There's definitely a scenario in where, in the near future, I could be in shirt, tie, and dress slacks every day. I would like to build around that eventuality, as well as my desire for a more casual look, plus business casual occasionally. Looks like I may be buying more than one pair! ;)

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's definitely a scenario in where, in the near future, I could be in shirt, tie, and dress slacks every day. I would like to build around that eventuality, as well as my desire for a more casual look, plus business casual occasionally. Looks like I may be buying more than one pair! ;)

Another for the ranks.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see it is time to re-post my post entitled, "Are you a Shoe-holic?" I know its a duplication, but if I can only help one lost "sole" it will be worth it.

I thought of one thats happened to me.

Your asked how many shoes do you have and respond, " I have X pairs." Then after a short pause you say, "Oh, plus Y more, but I don't really count those."

Dd1101

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with welt separating or showing its spliting? Anything I should worry about?

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought of one thats happened to me.

Your asked how many shoes do you have and respond, " I have X pairs."  Then after a short pause you say, "Oh, plus Y more, but I don't really count those."

I do this all the time. The shoes that aren't on the racks (sneakers, hiking shoes, bad weather boots) don't get included in the mental inventory. And I'm still at 20-something pairs (plus one still hiding in the back of the closet until my wife is very happy with me).
:embar:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, everybody! Short-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'd love some advice on my first (sorta) AE shoe. I'm jumping on the sale for a pair of Strands, I believe. Just need helping picking a color. I'm a 40-something married guy, trying to improve my wardrobe a bit. I would not be wearing them to work at all, except when I fly to the ATL for meetings and such. Otherwise, I'd like to wear them with nice jeans or chinos. I have a pair of Bentons I picked up cheap at a thrift store (Score!)...they're merlot (or oxblood, can't really say), but a tad too big, so I'd like to banish them eventually.

So, what say you, SF experts? Oxblood? Walnut?

Thanks for your help!
I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I prefer walnut

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark chili Fifth Avenues with Suit Supply up top for an interview.

Apparently it worked, considering the offer I got a couple hours later.....
I made a rookie mistake getting the Park Avenues in dark chili instead of the Fifths. Oh well.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No flies on the PA.

RTD1

Reaction score
I made a rookie mistake getting the Park Avenues in dark chili instead of the Fifths. Oh well.
I prefer the FAs to the PAs in every single color. Yes, as a black cap toe the FA is technically a hair less formal than a black PA, but in the real world it's completely irrelevant. The punch cap adds just the right (minimal) amount of flair and distinguishes the wearer from the hordes wearing black stitch caps from Bostonian, Rockport, CH, etc.

BG 7

Reaction score
Hello, everybody! Short-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'd love some advice on my first (sorta) AE shoe. I'm jumping on the sale for a pair of Strands, I believe. Just need helping picking a color. I'm a 40-something married guy, trying to improve my wardrobe a bit. I would not be wearing them to work at all, except when I fly to the ATL for meetings and such. Otherwise, I'd like to wear them with nice jeans or chinos. I have a pair of Bentons I picked up cheap at a thrift store (Score!)...they're merlot (or oxblood, can't really say), but a tad too big, so I'd like to banish them eventually.

So, what say you, SF experts? Oxblood? Walnut?

Thanks for your help!

You can't go wrong either way, but I would go walnut

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the FAs to the PAs in every single color. Yes, as a black cap toe the FA is technically a hair less formal than a black PA, but in the real world it's completely irrelevant. The punch cap adds just the right (minimal) amount of flair and distinguishes the wearer from the hordes wearing black stitch caps from Bostonian, Rockport, CH, etc.

I'm starting to feel this way about the PA. I have black PAs as well as 5As and I'm thinking about selling my black PAs. I never reach for them except when I was a groomsman which is probably the only time now I'd wear it over the 5As. Brown antibe PAs might be hitting the bay shortly as well. I have 3-4 pairs that aren't listed in my signature I'm going to be selling too since they either don't fit me great or just don't make it out in rotation. Started out with PAs and now they are on the chopping block.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads