• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTD1

Reaction score
I told myself I wouldn't, but I was weak. Earlier today I ordered a pair of Walnut Strands (I already have Strands in Dark Chili and Oxblood). This will be my 9th pair of AEs. The $275 - $50 Amex offer = $225 was just too good to pass up.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark chili Fifth Avenues with Suit Supply up top for an interview.

Apparently it worked, considering the offer I got a couple hours later.....

Last edited:

RichieP

Reaction score

@RichieP Yeah I know what you mean about bicycle toes, but for a sneaker I think it actually looks kind of cool. For a dress shoe hell no. The other thing I see a ton are elongated chisel toes, probably what turns me off of the 333 so much.

What's even worse is I've seen both styles combined in one shoe! :facepalm: (dang, this board needs a vomit smiley)

Southwick

Reaction score

Can anyone comment on how the Sea Island loafers fit? I like the blue suede there to wear with shorts and down here they can be worn year round. They are described to be quite comfortable but I've never been fitted for these and I was told to go from 9E (5last) to 9.5EEE for these. I was pretty surprised at this and was wondering if any one could confirm its feel and sizing.

Quote:

Sounds like it!
A word of caution...that 555 last is really narrow. I have a pair of Naples that are very broken in and are beatific tassel loafers, but I just can't wear them because the are too damned narrow across the front. My Naples are 11Ds, and were I to order the Sea Island I would likely order the EEE. But your mileage may vary. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TummyBoy

Reaction score
So, I'm getting a new pair of Allen Edmonds this weekend, and unfortunately there is no retailer in my country so I need to order online. I used the official sizing guide to check my fit. It gave me a size 12 length (I was really quite between 11.5 and 12) and an E width. According to their sizing chart if I went with a 12.5 I wouldn't need to get the wide version though.

This is the pair I want to order: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Dalton-Lace-Up/dp/B004TDUMJI

Does anyone have these and know if they tend to run small or big? Any info on sizing would be great!

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a pair and I believe they run fairly true to size for me. In other words, I usually wear a 9.5 D and a 9.5 D was the right fit for me with these. The toe box is roomy, however, so don't be surprised of you have a bit of extra room up front.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with option 1, tell them you had applied a little bit of the AE premium walnut polish and it wiped the finish off. Ask if it's supposed to do that. I made this mistake with a pair of bourbon Park Avenues and they offered to fix them for free.

AE puts a heavy burnish on the walnut now and that burnish will come off if you do certain things like apply too much polish or rub the polish while it's still wet. The AE conditioner/cleaner is probably the worst offender for removing the burnish. I would use either Bick 4, Lexol or Saphir Renoveatur in small quantities to condition the shoe. For the walnut, I don't even use that much of the premium polish as it does tend to add a reddish hue to the shine. I use a little from time to time, but mainly use meltonian neutral.

Yes, I made this mistake recently too. Put some conditioner/cleaner on my bourbon Carlyles and now one of them is lighter than the other. I have found that letting the polish sit and dry for a long time and then gently taking a cloth to them works in restoring the color. However, I agree that bourbon is the most difficult color to get consistency with. I understand why they eliminated it.

I was at a film-screening event today and I got to see lots of people. I saw a lot of men wearing casual shoes, but I saw a few men in very nice suits wearing very tacky Nike shoes. I know this is Los Angeles, but that's just unacceptable.

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, everybody! Short-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'd love some advice on my first (sorta) AE shoe. I'm jumping on the sale for a pair of Strands, I believe. Just need helping picking a color. I'm a 40-something married guy, trying to improve my wardrobe a bit. I would not be wearing them to work at all, except when I fly to the ATL for meetings and such. Otherwise, I'd like to wear them with nice jeans or chinos. I have a pair of Bentons I picked up cheap at a thrift store (Score!)...they're merlot (or oxblood, can't really say), but a tad too big, so I'd like to banish them eventually.

So, what say you, SF experts? Oxblood? Walnut?

Thanks for your help!

All other things being equal, I think merlot/oxblood/burg is lot more versatile than walnut, particularly for business wear. But, you said you don't intend to wear these for work.

However, I'm sorta old school and therefore, I:

* rarely wear shoes lighter than trousers
* even more rarely wear any oxford dress shoe with chinos
* and never wear a dress oxford with jeans of any sort.

You might consider something more congruent with the casual wear you have in mind for your next shoe purchase. In other words, a more casual shoe than a semi-brougue oxford.. E.g., it'd be great if a Clark Street in your size were still floating around.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
All other things being equal, I think merlot/oxblood/burg is lot more versatile than walnut, particularly for business wear. But, you said you don't intend to wear these for work.

However, I'm sorta old school and therefore, I:

* rarely wear shoes lighter than trousers
* even more rarely wear any oxford dress shoe with chinos
* and never wear a dress oxford with jeans of any sort.

You might consider something more congruent with the casual wear you have in mind for your next shoe purchase. In other words, a more casual shoe than a semi-brougue oxford.. E.g., it'd be great if a Clark Street in your size were still floating around.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I'm getting a new pair of Allen Edmonds this weekend, and unfortunately there is no retailer in my country so I need to order online. I used the official sizing guide to check my fit. It gave me a size 12 length (I was really quite between 11.5 and 12) and an E width. According to their sizing chart if I went with a 12.5 I wouldn't need to get the wide version though.

This is the pair I want to order: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Dalton-Lace-Up/dp/B004TDUMJI

Does anyone have these and know if they tend to run small or big? Any info on sizing would be great!

Nothing anyone will say will replace trying them, but here is what I've found. My best fit in the 65 balmoral is an 8E. I state this first, for comparison, since its the most likely other AE you might have. In the Dalton (which is on the 511), I can go with either 8D or 8E. If I want to wear dress socks, then the 8D is just fine, but If I want to wear thicker boot socks, I PREFER the 8E, but the D works OK. On the other hand, in the Dundee (also on the 511) I HAVE to wear an 8D (again stating this for comparison). My Brannock is 8.5 D/E but at 8's in both the 65 and 511, length is not an issue for me.

The 511 is a more forgiving than the 65 in toe box, and in the Dalton you don't have to worry about balmoral issues (like on a Fifth Street boot). I would NOT suggest the 12.5D, since you are between 11.5 and 12. My best guess is 12 in length, and E in width seems like a safer choice, but D could work also if you don't typically require wide shoes.

I would also make sure you buy from a source that allows returns, even if its a pain to do so or costs you shipping. The last thing you want is poor fitting boots. Good Luck.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with BB that suede is something @Echoes14 should consider. The suede Dundee with its split welt would work with a lot of casual pants.

Last edited:

Echoes14

Reaction score

Thanks for the replies. I understand the arguments against wearing dress oxfords with jeans. That being said, I see it a LOT. The reasons I was leaning towards the Strands were the sale, the Amex $50, and a pretty decent discount I can get. If the strands are too formal, I could always purchase something a little less formal in the near future......

Newberry

Reaction score

I've been wanting the walnut McAllister for some time now for causal wear but I also wanted something different than what I already have. I remembered seeing these Nordstrom exclusive Neumoks before but wasn't really sure about buying them because I've recently purchased the Fifth Ave, Cornwallis, Clark Street and Maritime all in the past 2 months. Then I just decided to go for them during the sale and I'm glad I did. Something casual and different. I can't believe how addicting AE footwear can be!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads