Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I'm an oxblood fiend so that's my choice. Walnut is growing on me though

2. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

I told myself I wouldn't, but I was weak. Earlier today I ordered a pair of Walnut Strands (I already have Strands in Dark Chili and Oxblood). This will be my 9th pair of AEs. The $275 - $50 Amex offer = $225 was just too good to pass up.

3. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

Dark chili Fifth Avenues with Suit Supply up top for an interview.

[​IMG]

Apparently it worked, considering the offer I got a couple hours later.....

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  4. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

What's even worse is I've seen both styles combined in one shoe! :facepalm: (dang, this board needs a vomit smiley)

5. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

A word of caution...that 555 last is really narrow. I have a pair of Naples that are very broken in and are beatific tassel loafers, but I just can't wear them because the are too damned narrow across the front. My Naples are 11Ds, and were I to order the Sea Island I would likely order the EEE. But your mileage may vary. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TummyBoy

TummyBoy Member

So, I'm getting a new pair of Allen Edmonds this weekend, and unfortunately there is no retailer in my country so I need to order online. I used the official sizing guide to check my fit. It gave me a size 12 length (I was really quite between 11.5 and 12) and an E width. According to their sizing chart if I went with a 12.5 I wouldn't need to get the wide version though.

This is the pair I want to order: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Dalton-Lace-Up/dp/B004TDUMJI

Does anyone have these and know if they tend to run small or big? Any info on sizing would be great!

7. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I have a pair and I believe they run fairly true to size for me. In other words, I usually wear a 9.5 D and a 9.5 D was the right fit for me with these. The toe box is roomy, however, so don't be surprised of you have a bit of extra room up front.

8. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Yes, I made this mistake recently too. Put some conditioner/cleaner on my bourbon Carlyles and now one of them is lighter than the other. I have found that letting the polish sit and dry for a long time and then gently taking a cloth to them works in restoring the color. However, I agree that bourbon is the most difficult color to get consistency with. I understand why they eliminated it.

I was at a film-screening event today and I got to see lots of people. I saw a lot of men wearing casual shoes, but I saw a few men in very nice suits wearing very tacky Nike shoes. I know this is Los Angeles, but that's just unacceptable.

9. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

All other things being equal, I think merlot/oxblood/burg is lot more versatile than walnut, particularly for business wear. But, you said you don't intend to wear these for work.

However, I'm sorta old school and therefore, I:

* rarely wear shoes lighter than trousers
    * even more rarely wear any oxford dress shoe with chinos
    * and never wear a dress oxford with jeans of any sort.

You might consider something more congruent with the casual wear you have in mind for your next shoe purchase. In other words, a more casual shoe than a semi-brougue oxford.. E.g., it'd be great if a Clark Street in your size were still floating around.

10. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

11. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

My olive Shannon drive and my new Gustin's both made their maiden voyage today...
    [​IMG]

12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Nothing anyone will say will replace trying them, but here is what I've found. My best fit in the 65 balmoral is an 8E. I state this first, for comparison, since its the most likely other AE you might have. In the Dalton (which is on the 511), I can go with either 8D or 8E. If I want to wear dress socks, then the 8D is just fine, but If I want to wear thicker boot socks, I PREFER the 8E, but the D works OK. On the other hand, in the Dundee (also on the 511) I HAVE to wear an 8D (again stating this for comparison). My Brannock is 8.5 D/E but at 8's in both the 65 and 511, length is not an issue for me.

The 511 is a more forgiving than the 65 in toe box, and in the Dalton you don't have to worry about balmoral issues (like on a Fifth Street boot). I would NOT suggest the 12.5D, since you are between 11.5 and 12. My best guess is 12 in length, and E in width seems like a safer choice, but D could work also if you don't typically require wide shoes.

I would also make sure you buy from a source that allows returns, even if its a pain to do so or costs you shipping. The last thing you want is poor fitting boots. Good Luck.

13. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I agree with BB that suede is something @Echoes14 should consider. The suede Dundee with its split welt would work with a lot of casual pants.

14. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

+1 on Dundee's

15. Echoes14

Echoes14 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I understand the arguments against wearing dress oxfords with jeans. That being said, I see it a LOT. The reasons I was leaning towards the Strands were the sale, the Amex $50, and a pretty decent discount I can get. If the strands are too formal, I could always purchase something a little less formal in the near future......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.