Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny17

danny17 New Member

What I bought was the plain walnut Strands and walnut polish. Not sure why it's lightening up so much from the polish that's to my understanding supposed to be color matched to the shoe

2. danny17

danny17 New Member

Ok thank you for your thoughts, I'll try and give AE a call and see what they say. I may end up just applying to the rest of the shoes, I just hope (worried) to get a uniform finish at the end.

3. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I would go with option 1, tell them you had applied a little bit of the AE premium walnut polish and it wiped the finish off. Ask if it's supposed to do that. I made this mistake with a pair of bourbon Park Avenues and they offered to fix them for free.

AE puts a heavy burnish on the walnut now and that burnish will come off if you do certain things like apply too much polish or rub the polish while it's still wet. The AE conditioner/cleaner is probably the worst offender for removing the burnish. I would use either Bick 4, Lexol or Saphir Renoveatur in small quantities to condition the shoe. For the walnut, I don't even use that much of the premium polish as it does tend to add a reddish hue to the shine. I use a little from time to time, but mainly use meltonian neutral.

4. M2511

M2511 Senior member

The burnishing definitely makes it harder to polish the shoes. Oxblood and chili seem to be better for working with the premium polish but bourbon is not good and I imagine for similar reason the walnut is not either. I still have not found a great way to care for bourbon. Great color hard to polish (at least in my experience).

5. danny17

danny17 New Member

That's interesting, maybe I can even inquire if they could get rid of the burnishing altogether. The pictures I've seen online of light walnut Strands is exactly what I was looking forward to. Not that I mind these in the least. Might be easier to maintain over the years that way too.

6. DeathandTaxes

DeathandTaxes Well-Known Member

I don't get to be casual tomorrow, so I decided to break out the Gatsbys today:

[​IMG]

7. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

A friend just told me that Bloomingdale's Big Brown Bag's Sale puts both the Cornwallis and Strand at $233.20 shipped with promo code: BROWNBAG but it looks like they are starting to run low on sizes.

8. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Sounds like it!

9. joman8390

joman8390 Well-Known Member

Great shoes! I got a pair of those last thanksgiving when they were $99, but I haven't found an opportunity to wear them and I'm not sure when or if I ever will unfortunately.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  10. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I wore the Cavanaughs again today, and if they don't start breaking in soon, I'm going to give up and deem them unwearable. They feel like the toe box is not big enough from top to bottom, and the irony is that I went to the store to get fitted.

11. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I ordered mine early Sunday morning when the email came through. Can't wait to get them.

12. Echoes14

Echoes14 Well-Known Member

Hello, everybody! Short-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'd love some advice on my first (sorta) AE shoe. I'm jumping on the sale for a pair of Strands, I believe. Just need helping picking a color. I'm a 40-something married guy, trying to improve my wardrobe a bit. I would not be wearing them to work at all, except when I fly to the ATL for meetings and such. Otherwise, I'd like to wear them with nice jeans or chinos. I have a pair of Bentons I picked up cheap at a thrift store (Score!)...they're merlot (or oxblood, can't really say), but a tad too big, so I'd like to banish them eventually.

So, what say you, SF experts? Oxblood? Walnut?

Thanks for your help!

13. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Well the moment I've been worried/excited about all week!

Got my bourbon Strand firsts off amazon today and they look decent. Build is on point, fit is on point. As expected the finish is a bit paint brushy but looks good in most key parts.

Direct sun - good
    [​IMG]

Indoor lighting - pretty good. Only part that really bugs me is the drip mark near the back outside brough- looks straight yellow and bugs me enough to think about returning. Although the next pair could be garbage, and I paid 229 for firsts so am I a clown to return?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oxblood would be great but I got a gift card to Amazon ( only way to justify more shoes right now) and that's the only other color I would want strand in right now. As I just got a walnut Carlyle.

Cheers to a beautiful Memorial Day. Grilling tonight!

14. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Nothing at all wrong with those.

15. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

I'll jump in to the rankings of my (small) rotation:

1a. Strand - walnut
    1b. Bradley - burgundy shell
    3. McAllister - black
    4. Westchester - walnut
    5. Wilbert - tan
    6. Glasgow - black

Bottom three were $50 specials from eBay that I have not flipped back yet. That's how I experimented with lasts and styles on quite a few pairs.

Navy Sea Islands and brown shell Strands are the next two I have my eye on.

Down the road I also want to look into a monk strap (maybe shell Norwich) and woven (New Orleans, Boca Raton, or Shreveport).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.