Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

These Brown Crackle Pine Rivers at $24.99 are the lowest I've ever seen at a BCF. Wonder what AE recrafting can do with them.

[​IMG]

2. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Excluding other brands sort of skews this toward more casual for me but here are my Top 7 (+8) AE's. It's sort of a mix between "favorite" as in a "I really love wearing these" and frequency of wear, though there's a lot of overlap in that Venn diagram.

1. Cambridge (burg shell)
    2. Jefferson (1.0) (brown calf)
    3. Maritime (CXL - both red and navy)
    4. Long Branch (Golden Brown CXL)
    4. (tie) McGraw (Truffle shell)
    6. Black Hills (walnut)
    6. (tie) Clark Street (natural CXL)
    8. Eagle Country (merlot, GMTO)
    9. Macneil (walnut grain)
    10. Sanderson (brown, RL x AE)
    11. Singleton (tan, RL x AE)
    12. Heritage (walnut & bone, MTO (normal sole))
    13. Sauk Drive ("russet" a/k/a red)(I wear the heck out of these, though I get mad how much better AE could have made this boot)
    14. Strand (walnut)
    15. Neumok (snuff suede)

Last edited: May 25, 2016

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@thinwhiteduke You guys are killing me with the Cavanaugh stories - if everyone agrees to stop buying them maybe the 114 will finally go away.

Here's my surprised look [​IMG]. I have the same damn problem. The 114 is just short, as in the shortest they come. Going up the half size and down the width sounds logical, except you're talking c width, which isn't an option. Up the length without the width is usually too big for me. Having got them from shoebank I think you're sol, but at a minimum, don't get anymore 114 stuff without trying them first. Hope I didn't sound too harsh, I just have dealt with a lot of 114 frustration myself.

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@RichieP Yeah I know what you mean about bicycle toes, but for a sneaker I think it actually looks kind of cool. For a dress shoe hell no. The other thing I see a ton are elongated chisel toes, probably what turns me off of the 333 so much.

5. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

I posted this on another forum, but figured I'd repost here for more opinions:

I remember getting measured at a shoe store years back as a 10D. Sometimes 10D works, sometimes 10.5D, sometimes 10E. On a lark decided to buy a Brannock off eBay.

Right Foot: 10D, Arch Length - 11.5
    Left Foot: 9.5D, Arch Length - 11

Now, it's pretty common for one foot to be a half size larger than the other, and I always suspected this was the case, but the arch length really threw me. What does this mean exactly? That my feet are long for my toes or my toes are short for my feet or something? I can't imagine actually getting an 11 or 11.5 shoe, as I sometimes get heel slip even with a 10.5D or 10E despite them fitting better in the toes than a 10D.

6. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

I've learned that most people have longer heel-to-ball(arch length) than their heel-to-toe(foot length), and your shoe size should be the longer of the two. In your case the shoe is 1.5 size shorter than your arch, so your foot flex further toward the widest part of the shoe, and that will cause your foot tired easily and discomfort... Heel slippage is not necessarily a length issue... too much volume in your shoes, the heel is too wide, etc.

7. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I wear my walnut Strands with jeans all the time.

If you are looking for a stitch cap, the Hopkinson is your answer. The Indy line is just incredible and the 201 last makes them feel like slippers with that buttery soft leather that they use. I got a practically brand new pair of ebay for $85.

If you are looking for something walnut, the pricing on Strands right now is ridiculous. I also think the McAllister is a great walnut shoe.

8. M2511

M2511 Senior member

If this is true I might have to do this.... I don't foresee them being better priced than that. Problem is I just ordered the blue strands and I don't want to join the hiding shoes at the office club just yet.... My to purchase list is Walnut Strands, Cornwallis in brown or chili, a brown suede wingtip or strand, and a casual suede loafer. Eventually shell.....

Last edited: May 26, 2016

9. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I put my pants on just like the rest of you. One leg at a time. Except once my pants are on, I put on oxblood. (seriously waited all night to post that haha) [​IMG]

10. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

As Do I. I really want the mctavish, longbranch or the saddle in gray. I love those.

We have similar taste. I also ordered the blue stand and have walnut strands, brown and chili Cornwallis. Haha

11. matwa

matwa Senior member

[​IMG]

Chili Varno today - Aldenish?

12. danny17

danny17 New Member

Hello everyone, first time posting here. I love recently started a new job (new to office work) in the past couple months and have decided to grab a few pairs of AE's. I went with the chili McAllisters, dark brown McTavish, and a pair of the infamous walnut Strands. The McCallister shined up beautifully with the chili polish however my walnut polish has really lightened a spot. I just noticed it this morning when leaving for work I thought I could buff it out with a bit of polish and elbow grease. Turns out I only made it worse. Any suggestions to get the color back to normal?

Edit: I should mention I also have the AE conditioner cleaner I got with my McTavish pair - I was thinking of trying that when I get home. Any input would be great. Thanks everyone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2016

13. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

Chili Bradleys on a casual Thursday.

14. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

Walnut or Burnished Walnut? If the latter, then the Walnut Polish or the Cleaner/Conditioner will remove the darker polish used to burnish the shoe letting the lighter Walnut of the shoe to shine through.

15. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

As I see it you have a few options.

1. Contact AE and tell them that their polish stripped off the burnish. Don't tell them that you used any elbow grease and it's likely that they will respond by asking you to send them in for "evaluation". They will cut you a shipping label and refinish them for free.

2. Try and correct it yourself by using a bit of black polish and apply some light coats until the color is a better match.

3. Take it to a cobbler for them to use a burnishing wheel.

4. Repeat the process you did on that one spot to have uniform light walnut shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.