• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where in the hell were you???

New Jersey.
satisfied.gif

MJM (a BCF company), and I rounded off. It was actually $53.99.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Edit: I also found 5 other pairs of Daltons sub $60, but they were 5.5EEE and 6EEE. Should have bought them and put them on yahoo.jp

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a Dalton dilemma here. Posted a few pages back about how I was thinking of pulling the trigger on some walnut Daltons. Well....I waited and they went back up in price on the shoebank site, but the bourbons went down to a ridiculous $199. So i'm giving serious thought to just getting the bourbons, but im not 100% sure thats my favorite color in general. Compounding my problem, I saw them in oxblood the other day and I thought they looked exceptional.

Anyway, im leaning towards holding out a bit in the hopes that the oxblood go on sale at some point. Ive seen some refer to a March Madness sale - is that an annual thing?

Also, any opinions on walnut vs bourbon vs oxblood Daltons from those who own one of those colors?

Thanks guys!

I have, and love, the bourbon Daltons. No personal experience with oxblood Daltons, but for my preferred use (jeans or business casual), bourbon is about right.

However, if you are on the fence between bourbon and walnut, you can have both! Bourbon is walnut-dyed leather with black burnishing. If you get bourbon and decide you don't like it, you can strip the burnishing (renomat recommended) and hit with a coat of walnut polish. Voila - discounted walnut Daltons. If you place too high a premium on your time to make this worthwhile, a cobbler can probably do the same for far less than the price difference.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New Jersey.  :satisfied:

MJM (a BCF company), and I rounded off.  It was actually $53.99. 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Edit:  I also found 5 other pairs of Daltons sub $60, but they were 5.5EEE and 6EEE.  Should have bought them and put them on yahoo.jp

No clue what those acronyms are. And size 5 & 6? Could I buy them and send them back to AE to be recrafted to an 11?

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own Quoddys and Rancourts and these AE made in DR shoes can certainly hold their own (Sorry!). Get some. Pretty sure that they use Horween leathers on all of them. I already have my Kirkwoods or I would be picking some up.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am having a dilemma with the strand seconds in 11D I purchased a month ago, after getting sized at the AE store. I have been wearing them twice a week. They are pinching my pinkie toe - after a days wear there is some redness on my toe. I gave them to the AE store to get them stretched, but the stretching did not help any. Do these look too narrow? I learned that the V should not be more than 0.25" (mine is 1"). The store associates did not tell me about this. I am hoping to exchange these seconds for an 11E, but those might have too much heel slippage, and it might be too late for an exchange...

pressure point here

I had the exact same issue with Strands in 11D, though I may have had slightly less room in the heel. I had a great AE CS experience, which I detailed on the last thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/...eviews-pictures-sizing-etc/69285#post_8265755
This was with firsts rather than seconds, but I don't expect that should make a difference . . .

EDIT: I should note that I got a bit lucky with the specific pair of 11E's that I got as replacements. There is sample variation from one pair to another, and I got a pair that was like an 11D in the heel and overall volume, and an 11E in the toebox. May be worth it to try a couple of samples to really dial it in . . .

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue with Strands in 11D, though I may have had slightly less room in the heel. I had a great AE CS experience, which I detailed on the last thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/...eviews-pictures-sizing-etc/69285#post_8265755
This was with firsts rather than seconds, but I don't expect that should make a difference . . .
My post from 10 Jan 2016:

In the spirit of AE appreciation, I'd like to offer a couple of anecdotes about AE's superior customer service:

(1/2) My first pair of AE shoes were walnut Strands (surprising, I know). I had initial qualms about the fit but got fitted multiple times and assured that 11D was the size for me and that the toebox tightness would resolve after the shoes were broken in. After a few weeks of occasional use, the issue was very clear; the footbed did not quite accommodate my two smallest toes (no roast beef and wee wee wee for those of you with kids). This was in clear evidence based on depressions in the cork and wear on the inside of the shoe; it was enough of an issue that I had certain socks I wouldn't wear with the shoes (tight fit + seam in wrong place = blisters). I took them in to the AE store from whence they came and explained the issue. After several attempted stretchings (in retrospect, likely doomed to fail because of the shape of my foot versus the footbed), they fitted me in an 11E and ordered replacements. A week later, I had brand-new Strands that fit perfectly. AE stood behind the purchase and took care of the problem (at zero cost to me other than a little bit of time). I'll note that the firsts weren't quite perfect (maybe halfway between firsts and seconds), but I'm more than happy with the result and will equate the small imperfections with comfort. Bravo Allen Edmonds - that is true customer service.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SLCRich Did you try the suede Cavanaugh or regular calf? The suede has a little more give at the vamp. The 114 is a pain - I always feel like an E would be better, but after the D us broken in, I'm relieved I stuck it out. But either way, make sure the length works - too short and you're crushed in there, too long and your heels get shredded with enough walking. If you feel like you just can't make either 8.5 or 9 work, check out the 2592.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cc808314 I tried the LaSalle, Delray & Clark St and all fit really well, I just really didn't like the look - if you like these id recommend them.

alexnb

Reaction score
Now I think I see what you were saying. There is a big difference between a kirkwood type boat shoe with a rubber sole and nubuck uppers, and the leather soled sea island in suede from Charles F. Stead. Two completely different animals and price ranges. The Sea Island is more like a seasonal beef role Cavanaugh with better suede.

Agreed. The Sea Island is great (I just special ordered some in my size), but the Kirkwood is even more casual given the white rubber sole.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@alexnb Definitely post about your impression when they arrive. I looked at them in person - the material is extremely soft & supple but I thought the sole attached to it was iffy, plus I couldn't believe they would charge $300 for something non-recraftable. Hopefully they fare better than my expectations - they definitely looked really good.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own Quoddys and Rancourts and these AE made in DR shoes can certainly hold their own (Sorry!). Get some. Pretty sure that they use Horween leathers on all of them. I already have my Kirkwoods or I would be picking some up.

I went overboard last year with the Kirkwoods/Maritimes when they had them on sale. Bought a bunch in various colors/sizes to try to get the fit right.

Ended up with 3 pairs:
- Kirkwood in dark brown
- Maritime in dark brown
- Maritime in navy

Was going to keep a Kirkwood in navy but it was all adding up too quickly.

I'm a pretty young-ish guy at 33, but loafers have grown on me quite a bit the past 1-2 years. I started with a pair of walnut Ralph Lauren Singletons and realized I love them. I bought a pair of brown Singletons too but have since sold those off to make room for others, as I wasn't wearing them much and I think I had the size wrong. Then I got a pair of the Sperry gold cup tan beefroll penny loafers and realized they're super comfortable lightweight shoes that I can beat up or "dress up" at work (I'm a doc, but chinos/button down with no tie is standard for me). Also got a great deal on one of the last existing pairs of Sperry Made in Maine beefroll loafers on a white boat shoe sole.

Next I added the Brooks Brothers version of the AE Kenwood with brown grain leather and a natural colored leather sole. Beautiful shoes, although I am thinking I may have to sell them as the 9D is just a bit too snug on my forefoot and they don't come in wider sizes.

Just recently I took my first step into Oak Street Bootmakers (I know, this is an AE thread). Picked up a pair of the crepe sole brown beefroll loafer for cheap, and they are amazing. Love the leather/craftsmanship, and the crepe sole is unique and ultra-comfortable. I liked them so much that I have just purchased (and anxiously waiting the arrival of) a pair of OSB natural beefroll loafers on the standard leather sole.

So, in just a few years, I went from "loafers? who needs 'em?" to "I think I've purchased too many loafers." Must be the turning 30 thing.

tharkun

Reaction score

201 is odd last for me. I'm an EEE. They are tight in the wide part, not unacceptably so, and loose everywhere else. They look longer on the foot relative to other lasts. 

Hah, so I'm not crazy. Based on my experiences with the 511 I had ordered my Sauk Drive in 9 EEE but the right pinky didn't like them at all while I have perfectly fine 9 EEE Leeds. Had to get the SD in 9.5 EEE. The rest of the shoe now requires me to use thick socks. Which is fine for a boot but still. Makes me not want a Rogue, although I was thinking about one for a long time and now would be THE time to get one. Can't wear thick wool socks in a Rogue in summer ...

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went overboard last year with the Kirkwoods/Maritimes when they had them on sale.  Bought a bunch in various colors/sizes to try to get the fit right.

Ended up with 3 pairs:
- Kirkwood in dark brown
- Maritime in dark brown
- Maritime in navy

Was going to keep a Kirkwood in navy but it was all adding up too quickly.

I'm a pretty young-ish guy at 33, but loafers have grown on me quite a bit the past 1-2 years.  I started with a pair of walnut Ralph Lauren Singletons and realized I love them.  I bought a pair of brown Singletons too but have since sold those off to make room for others, as I wasn't wearing them much and I think I had the size wrong.  Then I got a pair of the Sperry gold cup tan beefroll penny loafers and realized they're super comfortable lightweight shoes that I can beat up or "dress up" at work (I'm a doc, but chinos/button down with no tie is standard for me).  Also got a great deal on one of the last existing pairs of Sperry Made in Maine beefroll loafers on a white boat shoe sole.

Next I added the Brooks Brothers version of the AE Kenwood with brown grain leather and a natural colored leather sole.  Beautiful shoes, although I am thinking I may have to sell them as the 9D is just a bit too snug on my forefoot and they don't come in wider sizes.  

Just recently I took my first step into Oak Street Bootmakers (I know, this is an AE thread).  Picked up a pair of the crepe sole brown beefroll loafer for cheap, and they are amazing.  Love the leather/craftsmanship, and the crepe sole is unique and ultra-comfortable.  I liked them so much that I have just purchased (and anxiously waiting the arrival of) a pair of OSB natural beefroll loafers on the standard leather sole.  

So, in just a few years, I went from "loafers?  who needs 'em?" to "I think I've purchased too many loafers."  Must be the turning 30 thing.

The Singleton is a shoe that I must have at some point. How's the fit compared to other AEs?

Last edited:

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Neo1 I didn't try a suede version of the Cavanaugh but that's a really good idea. I think the 8.5 in suede might be the one.

@BackInTheJox would love to see a picture of the Oak loafers. (I own zero loafers, yet, handful of boat shoes but I think I'm about to make the plunge into the exact same scenario you're in, going from no loafers to, "I might need another closet to store these loafers.)

Am I the only one in the forum that doesn't own a walnut shade yet? I think it's a great color, but I might need to join or start the Oxblood Anonymous group. The dark chili doesn't quite do it for me (beautiful shade, just like the walnut) but something about oxblood just draws me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads