Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Saw it today on a guy who doesn't normally suit up, wearing a suit. I just figured he chose to not buy dress shoes to go with his suit. Perhaps I misjudged and he did so on purpose.

Either way, I found it odd. Charcoal suit, black shoes, lumberjack welt. [​IMG]

2. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Just think -- in about 5 weeks, this place is gonna be flooded with blue Stand pics.

3. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Midnight Monday, yo.

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I rarely post questions to the group, but looking for some opinions on this. I consider myself extremely tolerant when it comes to breaking stuff in. In fact, some people like @moose22 would probably call me a masochist. Occasionally something is good to go out of the box, but usually this is not the case.

Off the top of my head, the original park ave destroyed my insteps wear after wear until finally breaking in - were talking like 40 plus wears, full day. They now feel like slippers. The Jermyn destroyed my right big toe for roughly a year (its good now). MacNeil? First wear took the skin off both my heels so bad I needed masking tape for a month - now I wear them at least once a week.

I could go on in case this amuses people. I recently picked up a sojourner. Initial reaction was that they felt uber large up front but do able, since the heel was so reinforced and locked you in. I was honestly expecting total garbage and was pleasantly surprised. With extended wear, I started feeling this weird pressure on my ankles, to the point where it was excruciating. Finally took the skin off my left ankle completely. That was wear #1. Wear #2 (wasn't giving up that easily) was worse - the left shoe is sort of flexing to the point where I feel like I could sprain my ankle. I mentioned this to a store manager who said I could try using a tongue pad under the road warrior insert to see if that helped, but I'm honestly hesitant to even put these on again. I feel like these should be pulled off the market and destroyed.

So what do you guys think - man up, I've dealt with worse, or admit defeat?

5. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I've never had any correct fitting AE shoe tear me up at all. How do shoes tear up your heel if you have socks on?

6. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@SLCRich After my experience with the Jermyn, I must have been delirious to even consider the Grayson but glad I did. Picked up a pair in merlot. Was my favorite loafer too....until I happened upon my burgundy shell Adams [​IMG].

7. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I have not had any shoe aside from my Kenwoods feel great all day in the first few wears from AE, usually takes 10 wears or so (for me at least) and I have not experienced any skin coming off. Occasionally my insteps will be sore with extended wear (10+ hours) but never anywhere near what you are describing. I don't think it is admitting defeat I think its saving yourself from what sounds like actual torture.

8. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

They came today. You were right, much nicer in person and no lime green laces. Sadly, no shoe bags, but that's ok.

Wearing them tonight to dinner with the wife for our anniversary. Quick test fitting:

[​IMG]

9. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Are those the Cooke Bit Choc Suede/Dainite on shoebank?

10. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

I had boots years ago with the plastic reinforced heel (steel toe for work) and the heel reinforcement hit me under the ankle bone. It NEVER got better. Rubbed me absolutely raw, and a bandage over the area wouldn't fix the problem as it was just a bad fit for my ankle. I gave them to goodwill.

I don't understand a tongue pad under the insert. That sounds nuts to me, but I might be picturing it wrong. Only place I'd heard of to put a tongue pad is on the tongue to push you back toward the heel. That's how I fit a 5 last - -go one wider and use a pad to keep me from swimming around in the heel area. A bad solution compared to just buying a better last for me,but it really worked on the PAs in the store. If the problem really is that you're swimming in the heel part of the shoes you have, it might be the thing to hold you in place, and if the raw ankle is from rubbing, not from the reinforcement jamming into you, it could stop that.

11. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

@Neo1

That's one reason I've avoided buying any of the road warriors. I've read a lot of problems with foot pain and fit. If it's causing you extreme pain every time you wear it and it does not improve, what other choice do you have? I'd argue for giving it 10 wears at least and see if it improves.

I've only had two real challenges with break in. My Ashton caused me toe pinching for several weeks, but that went away. My Leeds took 25 wears for it to finally be comfortable, and even so, my Carlyle is more comfortable than the Leeds. Not counting the Wilbert which was mis-sized or defective forcing me to go up 1/2 size. AE's casual shoes have been mis-sized in my experience (except for the Malone).

12. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@MattRiv I find a lot of heels overly large. They destroy me until broken in. The MacNeil heel is huge, as was the freiburg. I consider the patriot a godsend in this department.

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I agree. I almost pulled the trigger on a great deal on a pair of Oak Street Bootmakers beefroll penny loafers in black leather, but then thought twice about it and the combo of black + natural welt. Don't get me wrong, I love natural welts too, but I don't really think I have any use for a black loafer (I'm not sure anyone truly does), and I buy OSB for casual loafers - so natural/brown work much better.

A great deal on something you won't wear is a bad deal.

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Moose22 Yes! That ankle pain is exactly like work boot pain, like with red wings. It isn't wide at all the material is just so stiff.

15. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

[​IMG]

Wingtip Wednesday? McTavish in Cognac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.