1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I'm having a hard time matching a dog to my suede Patriots. This is as close as I've got.
    [​IMG]
    Does AE sell a better matching dog?

7 people like this.
  2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@RichieP That sounds weird that the maritime would give you trouble over the Kirkwood - hope they work out. I just picked up a pair of northland finally and they blow the Kirkwood out of the water.

@Lobster33 You goofin on me are you [​IMG]. For the record, I said the one on AE.com with the lug sole was ugly as sin - the one you got isn't bad, it just has no support.

@ace13x Enabling, its what we do, not how we do.

3. firefit

firefit Senior member

In reference to my perceived foot size (9.5 3E), I wear a 10.5 sneaker to compensate for my width, and even then it's still pretty tight. If I go to the mall tomorrow to measure my feet, after biking, would that reduce the accuracy of my measurements when using the Brannock device (Since the width is squeezed together in the sneaker?). On another note, I can't wait to purchase a pair of Allen Edmonds as soon as possible.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

That's ruff.

5 people like this.
  5. supplychainman

supplychainman Senior member

6. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Knowing your Brannock size (have you read the primer on using the device?) is just a starting point, but a pretty decent one. Seems your bike is your main means of transportation. Its likely that your feet will swell somewhat after a long ride. Thats not necessarily a bad thing. I'm assuming if you are thinking about purchasing a dress or casual dress shoe you wouldn't be wearing it when you bike from place to place, but might put them on upon reaching a destination. In that case, the "natural, post ride" state of your foot will likely be a better way to gauge your size.

I still think your best option is to order up something in the 9.5EEE or 10EEE size on one of AE's wider lasts (the 511), trying them out in your home and then returning them once you have a better idea of how they will fit you. Once you have your size nailed down in that last, it should be easier for the members of this forum to suggest what size might work best for you in other lasts/shoes.

Regardless, you should get your Brannock done first.

In my experience sneaker size is not a very good indication of what will/won't work in a dress shoe. In some sneakers I wear 8's others 9.5's snug. I'd be swimming in anything 9.5 AE.

7. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Not a big fan of The Wire?

8. firefit

firefit Senior member

I haven't been able to get my Brannock size done because of the all the rain, limiting my ability to bike places. To clarify, yes! My bike is the only way I can go from place to place currently. That's what I was thinking (referring to the swelling). And yeah, definitely! I would probably bike for about two hours or so, go home, and gauge. Referring to the sneakers, yeah that's what I was assuming. I'll definitely get the Brannock done as soon as I can, in fact, I'll take pictures as well to help clarify.
    I already can't wait. I purchased two bottles of cleaner-conditioner from AE. I'll be stocking it near my old Cole Haan's box, until the shoes arrival.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  9. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

This is true. I wear 9.5 in most sneakers, but I'm usually an 8 in Allen Edmonds.

10. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Hey! Keep your mits off my 8's. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I have wondered who on this board is my competition. So it was you who bought the last Freiburg's in 8 off shoebank?!

Nah, the only thing that would really piss me off is if you bought the last walnut Carlyle with the old piping.

12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I am Freiburgless. All kidding aside I'm mostly 8E's, aren't you in the D camp? Gut feeling, I would probably be best in a 7.5 on the Freiburg anyway.

13. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Yes, I'm a D person.

Serious question: Has anyone tried using the dark brown polish on a bourbon shoe? I'm finding that the bourbon polish is too light to darken my shoes. I know this bourbon topic is a bit tired, but I'd like to know.

14. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Fellow FBWs, I thought I'd share a few (non-AE) sightings from a recent trip:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This probably represents less than half of the photos I took of this candyland of shoeful frivolity; it was remarkable.

I went back to the store before skipping town, half expecting that I would end up walking out with the shiny blue/purple paisley shoes (primarily as a conversation starter). I actually considered these pretty seriously:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  15. dino408

dino408 New Member

I just saw these in a Nordstrom mailing advertising their July sales. "Allen Edmonds Bainbridge Cap-Toe Brogue" Will be selling for $199.90 during the sale...$299 afterwards. Also other colors will be available but doesn't say which.

16. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Some of you may be wondering (rightly so) what my previous post has to do with AE. In fact, they are directly linked: I didn't end up getting the rattan shoes (which were pretty much the tamest shoes in the store), though I had spousal approval (eye rolling does not negate a verbal agreement).

Combined with my forbearance during the midnight blue sale, I not only had some shoe spending money permissioned, but I also had a $50 Amex credit that looked like it may go wasted (a true shame). I checked the tent sale almost as an afterthought, thinking that I probably wouldn't get anything, when I saw:

[​IMG]

Brown shell strand, which has been on my "someday" list, for $350 with the Amex offer. Yup.

Oh, and by the way, if you haven't already clicked on the spoilered links, you should really consider doing so. It may not change your life, but thinking about which you might wear and with what is a nice distraction. I'm still petty sure I would have killed it with those purple paisley shoes (first pic).

Edited for parenthetical typo.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    3 people like this.
  17. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Only two issues with the brown shell:
    1. The right shoe is lighter than the left. A bit exaggerated here because the lighter shoe is closer to the light source:
    [​IMG]

I'm debating whether to address this by lightening lefty with sun exposure, or by trying to even them out with cordovan cream. If any FBWs have advice, please send it my way!

2. The second issue actually bothers me more: the edge of the sole is pretty generous. I have a pair of strands where the sole barely protrudes past the shoe; these appear to be on the extreme end in the other direction:
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking about sanding them down a bit (eventually); these might look good with lighter edge dressing (a la the brown Bartlett). Not sure I have the fortitude to try that, though - we will see.

Neither issue is a deal breaker for me; well within the realm of seconds. I'm pretty stoked overall.

18. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

^ at least they come with watching belts hahaha

19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Lobster33
    1) You would have been swimming in the 8D Freiburg, not a big loss there.
    2) My brand spankin new Carlyle 1sts in bourbon don't have the piping.

Always glad to help you feel better[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

General question- any thoughts on polishing/upkeep for midnight blue? Just the leather conditioner, etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.