1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

It looks like your whole foot could use a little extra volume, not just the instep. Try a thin insole or sockliner. That's what I use for my dundees!

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:Well, with my luck they wouldn't offer them again, and the 'bank had a good pair. And my wife loves Christmas...

3. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    As a "P.S." to my recent post about split-toes, I thought I would share this double monk example from Bruno Magli. All in all, I think it works pretty well. Too bad they do not fit or I would totally rock them for a while. 10.5 M in case you need to know.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

When I asked if this was a first, I was referring to the fact that you shared a picture of your shoes. I don't ever remember that from you, and then you shared two in a row. WHOA... pace yourself!

5. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

I'll get the quality of these. But I just have a natural instinctual crnge when I see these, as well as any split that goes up much further than an couple inches in the toes. I just can't help it, but not for me.

6. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

The Newberg looks very much like something from the likes of Original Penguin. Just awful. These would be littering BCF's all over the country if BCF were still getting AEs.

7. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I've always preferred the Santa Mok to the Jingle Bell, but I'm more of an Arbor Day guy.

8. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Wore my Leeds 2.0 today and wow, this Double Butyl sole takes a long time to gain traction. After 7 or 8 wears they are still quite slick. But these shoes are going to be awesome when I replace it with a single sole. I realize a lot of people on here like the double sole better, but it has its disadvantages.

New shoe arriving from ebay tomorrow. Found a nice long ago discontinued style and I'm trying a new size that might not work. I'll post a pic when it arrives, and if it's too narrow for me, I'm going to put up a classified on here. It's a really nice shoe I got very cheap.

1 person likes this.
  9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I haven't actually seen those - very cool!

Not sure that closure would work for me...

10. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Do I need to repost Nobel Prize winning physicist Richard Feynman playing the bongos again?

If you wander over to the Rock Your Socks thread, they'd say you aren't even trying. Check out this post: post #23341 then scroll on down the rest of the page. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Try the 333 last, grasshopper.

12. peppercorn78

I agree. Way off, IMO.

13. cnation

cnation Well-Known Member

Been hoping someone would post pics of the st johns.

14. cnation

cnation Well-Known Member

nvm spoke to soon

15. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@peppercorn78 Is it just me, or do all these 1943 styles look very much squared off in the toe, even more so than the 333? I never tried the 1943 but I've seen the Cornwallis up close and didn't notice that before.

16. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

I'm curious why AE doesn't just offer all of their mainline shoes in all of their colors. Especially now that they've discontinued Merlot (and Bourbon previously).

For example, while you can get the Park Ave in Oxblood, you cannot get the Fifth Ave or McAllister in Oxblood or any other shade of burgundy. Likewise, the Leeds, Macneil, and Warwick are not available in Brown (well, the Macneil and Leeds are but only in country grain).

At a minimum, it would seem that all of their workhorse shoes should have a brown and a burgundy (Oxblood or Merlot) option. I know you can special order, but I'd think demand would be such to render that unnecessary.

17. peppercorn78

I think Paul G stated that this last was to replace the 333 as the company's chisel last option, so it makes sense. I haven't seen any 1943 shoes in person, but from photos it doesn't look any more extreme than English or Italian chisel lasts like GG, CJ, or Bonafe.

18. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

I haven't seen any side by side comparisons, but I'm going to say that the AE one looks blobbier.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. [​IMG]

19. peppercorn78

;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

I'm not a fan of chisel toe shoes in general, but in this comparison I'd take the AEs. The others look like something you'd use to kill a cornered cockroach.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.