Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Yea I wish I could pull them off somehow, but aside from some foot modification I think I'm sol. Going to check out the midnight in person after work on the dangerous walk to my parking garage that conveniently has an AE store otw.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I've got a beautiful navy calf belt from the British Belt company BNIB. I bought two from massdrop by mistake and can't return it. Size 38, but if you're not As fat as I am you could get it resized by a cobbler for peanuts.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  3. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

How much would you want on it?

4. spizike9

spizike9 Member

So it appears that AE has discontinued the McGregor. Are likely to bring it back in a year or two or is it gone for good? Same question with the color Bourbon as well.

I'm new here and gradually building my AE collection.

5. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Bourbon appears to be gone forever. Rumor I've read is that the color was losing them too much money because too many seconds were being created due to color inconsistencies. I like the color and am sad to see it go. Hoping my bourbon Carlyle's last a long time.

6. chuang4u

chuang4u New Member

I just bought a pair of fifth ave black from the anniversary sale and a pair of strands in walnut from the seconds sale.
    I had my sizing performed at an Allen Edmond's store for the fifth ave as a 10.5D.
    For whatever reason the walnut strands feel a little more tight. how does the fit look based on these pictures?
    Just wanted to know if the shoe is supposed to have such a wide V at the laces.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

Ah, the good ole 5 last. They look a little tight. My advice on the 5 last is to try your brannock size, up a width, up a size, and up a width/down a size. Since you're a 10.5D you should try a 10.5D, 10.5E, 11D, and 10E. Pick whichever one feels best. Better a little tight than a lot loose IMO. If your toes are getting pinched you may have to do some spot stretching using a shoe stretcher with the pressure point attachments. And if you have high arches, it's unlikely the laces will close regardless of how big/wide you go.

8. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

The 5A look fine, but the Strands look like they aren't even the same size. You should be able to reduce the v-gap some after they break in... maybe 1/4-1/2".

9. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I wear dress pants and button downs at work mon-thur and jeans/chinos on fridays. I wouldn't hesitate to wear the cornwallis mon-thurs. Black is probably they only one that I'd say could be considered a little too formal but honestly I'd wear them. I wear black 5aves all the time.

10. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Sheltons on a Monday:

[​IMG]

11. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

Man I want these!

12. angelescrest

angelescrest Senior member

One can do what they want, but the strand is certainly more suitable for business casual than the Cornwallis, which is best paired with a suit.

13. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

I have both and have worn both with business casual but would have to agree. The Cornwallis would be a better suit option.

14. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Never liked the black/burgundy version of these. Then I saw this pic. Now I want a pair. fbw

Edit: actually, now I want a midnight/burgundy pair! Hmmm

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  15. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Rainy and casual Monday in snuff Gobis...

Pants definitely need a hem, but they aren't nearly as baggy as they appear in this pic. As far as the chukkas, well, a certain little one decided walking on my shoes would be a fun game this morning. Time to bust out some Omni'Nettoyant and a suede brush!

Speaking of chukkas, recently I've had my eye on a pair of burnished brown (or maybe even black) calf Dundees. How does the fit compare to a Dalton? Or other 5-last fittings? My Daltons in 9D (also my 5-last size) are borderline too short, so I'm wondering if I need to go to a 9.5D.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.