Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Interesting on the comment about that last tearing your feet up. I typically don't wear any of my nicer shoes without socks, but instead use invisible socks because I do love that sockless look... especially with loafers. I find that the invisible socks both protect my feet and the shoes (my feet sweat a lot). Apparently the last that shoe is made on is roughly the same one as the 97 (toe box is slightly different) used for the Grayson, so just keep that in mind.

I actually think the Grayson is more of a "young mans" tassel loafer if you compare it to something handsewn like a Maxfield for instance. The sleek look that a lasted loafer can give lets you pull the tassels off (if that makes any sense, it does to me at least). #8 is definitely awesome and if you can hold off and find a pair that you like, that would be a great way to save some coin.

If you were going to go with some handsewn, I would forgo the tassels.

2. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

New lasalle just bought on clearance. So Damn comfy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

+1 on that store. Alyssa worked w/me on my shell PAs. A good team all around.

4. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Well-Known Member

I would have thought that too. But, I bought the brown grain Dundees on the right as firsts directly from AE. Unfortunately, they lace up a bit diagonally as you can see. After I sent the SA this picture, she replied that she was sorry that they were not up to my (?!?) standards. I'm sorry that these were up to AE's standards as firsts. (I admit that I would have kept them as seconds.)

She did also send me a UPS label for an exchange, but I think I'll just return them if this is indicative of AE's standards for this model number. This reinforces what I've experienced--AE has nice products, but their quality control is wildly inconsistent.

Ok, done complaining. I just pulled off my tie and PAs and it's time to relax....

5. flaminiom

flaminiom Active Member

Hey guys. Closest AE store for me is about 90 minutes away and happened to be over there last week. Stopped in and they recommended a 1/2 smaller than my first pair. I tried on both my size and the recommended size in store on the 5 Last and the smaller seemed like it might work fine. I decided to give that a shot for my second pair.

I purchased a pair on the shoebank sale and they came in today. I'm being very aware of the fit here because I'm trying to decide whether to keep these or not. I'm planning to carry them into work tomorrow and wear on the carpet for a bit.

I noticed the sides are bowing slightly. At first I thought this was a fit issue, but didn't experience this in the store. Then when I took them off, I noticed they appeared to be bowed on their own. They don't seem that bad on the foot. I'm not looking for perfection and I accept some issues with seconds. Just wondering if this should be a concern such as it may get worse over time or otherwise cause a fit issue. Or perhaps may improve with wear, conditioning and tree time.

Here are some pics best I could manage.

Seems the greatest bowing is on the right side of both shoes.

[​IMG]

Hard to tell, but here's me standing. Slight bulge in corresponding spots on right side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

My favorite dress shoe. Dark chili looks great! And yes, they are very comfortable. Wearing my Lasalle's right now...

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

You can probably improve that a bit by lacing slightly tighter too...

Last edited: May 19, 2016

8. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

New color dropping Sunday!

9. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

Such as?

10. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Look outside at 12am :). Only available for a week in two styles. Real good price for firsts.

11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

The proverbial waiting for the shoe to drop.

12. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

I think you should tell us haha.

13. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

14. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Well-Known Member

15. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

When I look outside at Midnight it looks Midnight Blue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.