Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drcharlie

drcharlie Well-Known Member

It's fun to think back to the "old" days. I went digging through old emails and found an old inventory spreadsheet from the Labor Day sale in 2013. There are 439 lines of shoes listed for my size. Looking through the list, I see at least 6 pairs I regret not buying. I especially regret that I never bought a Ralph Lauren branded shoe--those were beautiful shoes. During that sale they were being sold a a very, very fair price. For all newcomers that only know the shoebank website, here is is just a little sample of what the spreadsheets looked like. One of the fun things was that it listed how many of an item were in stock. No, that's information I never needed to know but I found it interesting. Another cool thing was you had a list of all these names and then you had to figure out what kind of shoe they were (such as the RL branded shoes). Man, how I wished I would have gotten a pair of the Saunders chukka boots! Anyone here have one? Do you still wear them?

[​IMG]

2. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

I found another issue with my recrafted Strands yesterday (a gouge on the upper similar to what happened to New Shoes1's Strands), and ended up speaking with a supervisor. I'm sad that there's really nothing that can be done to fix the shoe at this point, but the supervisor was very concerned and overall I'm happy with the resolution.

One thing that may be of general interest, according to this supervisor the AE top lift with the "arrow" and AE monogram is going away. When I mentioned that they had used a v-tread top lift on the heels, she told my I'm one of the first to receive that as standard, but that AE is transitioning to it for both recrafts and new shoes.

Last edited: May 19, 2016

3. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I assume that this means it looks the same as the v-tread at the front of the shoe? Still wish they did it with dovetails....

4. Apache Moneyman

Apache Moneyman New Member

That's a real shame, I sent my McAllister's to the recrafting department and they were returned with a quite large gouge on the upper by the heel which had been glued over as if that was the appropriate solution... I felt pretty deceived by this and ultimately the issue was not resolved by them until a full two months later
    Quote:

5. Amercs

Amercs Active Member

A little late but this was my walnut Wednesday, Bel Air by the beach
    [​IMG]

6. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

The strands out in the wild. [​IMG]

7. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

I'm looking for a new pair of loafers to compliment my brown McGraws. The options are tan saddle penny loafers, burgundy shell beef roll penny loafers ($300 right now), or tassel loafers (in any color). Which do you think would offer the most versatility? I would primarily wear them for travel, and on weekends when I have something very casual in the afternoon and something slightly dressier at night.

8. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

That's really up to your sense of style I guess. If it were me, I'd probably get the shell beef rolls since you already have a brown(ish) loafer in the McGraw. I do find myself drawn to the Grayson, but haven't bitten the bullet on seeing if I can pull off a tassel loafer or not... otherwise, I really like the shape of that shoe.

9. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Tassels ftw. Love my Graysons. Might wear them tomorrow actually...

10. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

New Neumoks arrived. Clearly a break in the weather around Baltimore of late is a sign.....so they're accompanying me on the evening's Uber journeys.

[​IMG]

11. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

Love these, they really pop. Probably my favorite casual dress shoe.

12. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Love that blue color with red laces combo. I wish they would offer that for the Leeds or Lasalle.

13. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

I'm still trying to figure out my sense of style with regards to loafers. Since I started buying Allen Edmonds's shoes a few years ago, I have mainly focused on dress shoes and boots. I bought the McGraws because they seemed to be about as versatile as a loafer could get, but something about the last makes them blister my feet if I wear them without socks, or if I walk to far in them (I could wear them for a full day of playing tourist, for example).

I'm a 36 year-old lawyer. I love how the Graysons look, but I mainly see them on older men -- people at the partner/supervisory level, and I'm worried about looking like a parvenu!

Also, tassel loafers seem to be particularly popular in #8 shell. Would it make sense to hold off on burgundy pair finds its way to eBay or the Shoebank?

14. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Quick question to everyone. Is it normal for a pair of AE shoes to cause blisters in the back of your ankles after the first wear? The shoes feel good and I'm sure they're the right fit. I have 6 other pairs of AE shoes/boots and those felt good during the first wear...

15. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Took this just for you. Grayson in brown. I'm 33, not a lawyer, unless you count bird law then pretty much everything is boiler plate (Always Sunny reference for those not in the know). I love love love oxblood but have an oxblood shoe for every working day of the week, I needed a versatile brown. These are it. I'll end up with an oxblood for every day of the month when it's all said and done probably...
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.