• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never stepped foot in a brick and mortar location because I live in upstate NY and the closest actual AE store that carries anything close to my size is at least a 6 hour drive. I will be in Manhattan in 2 weeks and I want to finally get properly fitted at a store that will have my size in stock. I measure 8E on the brannock device printout and I would like to be able to try on sizes that range from 7.5 E 7.5EE 8E 8EE for many different shoes so that after being fitted, I am confident with my orders moving forward. I have returned so many seconds due to the fit not being correct and it is quite draining.

What store would be my best bet? Am I going to have issues finding these sizes or having an SA work with me to try and find my size for 5-10 different style shoes? What is a good strategy to go about doing this? I was thinking about just putting my cards on the table and telling them that I want to try on a ton of different shoes to find my size but then maybe committing to the student interview offer so that they know I will at least buy something.

Thanks in advance

I think you've got the right idea. Let them know you are coming in so they can bring in some sizes in different lasts for you to try on. Also, do some research on your own about how to read a brannock device and take pictures of your reading on both feet.

whodey14

Reaction score

I'm more conservative in that sense.  I'll match my belt, shoes and watch strap (if it's leather) whenever possible, but I typically leave stock laces on my shoes.  

I do the same but having numerous color variations at my disposal makes me want to try some variations. I laced up the walnut strand I just can't decide. What do you think.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have never stepped foot in a brick and mortar location because I live in upstate NY and the closest actual AE store that carries anything close to my size is at least a 6 hour drive.  I will be in Manhattan in 2 weeks and I want to finally get properly fitted at a store that will have my size in stock.  I measure 8E on the brannock device printout and I would like to be able to try on sizes that range from 7.5 E 7.5EE 8E 8EE for many different shoes so that after being fitted, I am confident with my orders moving forward.  I have returned so many seconds due to the fit not being correct and it is quite draining.

What store would be my best bet?  Am I going to have issues finding these sizes or having an SA work with me to try and find my size for 5-10 different style shoes?  What is a good strategy to go about doing this?  I was thinking about just putting my cards on the table and telling them that I want to try on a ton of different shoes to find my size but then maybe committing to the student interview offer so that they know I will at least buy something.

Thanks in advance

Drop into the Allen Edmonds next to the corner of 44th and Madison. Give them a call ahead of time, speak with a SA and they will try to help. But be warned, this is the most dangerous intersection in Manhattan because the Alden shoe store is immediately around the corner. Depending on your needs and budget, you may want to drop in there too.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the sheer number of your purchase history with the company earns you the right to be "that guy."

SOMEONE has to say something about the new "spray-on" lacquer finish. Hand polishing is so much better.

I do not frequent this thread the same as I used to, so have not heard anything about this spray-on lacquer finish. What is it?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not frequent this thread the same as I used to, so have not heard anything about this spray-on lacquer finish. What is it?

It's a shiny plastic-y finish they've been putting on most/all their shoes over the past several months. My first experience with it was with a brand new pair of dark chili Daltons. They have a tacky/sticky feel to them, and squeak 10x worse than usual.

Middlife

Reaction score
I think you've got the right idea. Let them know you are coming in so they can bring in some sizes in different lasts for you to try on. Also, do some research on your own about how to read a brannock device and take pictures of your reading on both feet.

Thanks, I will call in advance.

Drop into the Allen Edmonds next to the corner of 44th and Madison. Give them a call ahead of time, speak with a SA and they will try to help. But be warned, this is the most dangerous intersection in Manhattan because the Alden shoe store is immediately around the corner. Depending on your needs and budget, you may want to drop in there too.

Funny...I'm staying at the Roosevelt hotel which looks like a 2 minute walk away. This could be dangerous.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a shiny plastic-y finish they've been putting on most/all their shoes over the past several months. My first experience with it was with a brand new pair of dark chili Daltons. They have a tacky/sticky feel to them, and squeak 10x worse than usual.

Thanks. Seems very counter-intuitive as I can get plasticky shiny shoes for a 1/3 the price that AE charges. The selling point is buying quality shoes that do not look like plastic.

I wonder if they are treating the soles with something similar. The soles on the recrafts that I got back a few weeks ago were treated with something as they do not scuff at all.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will call in advance.

Funny...I'm staying at the Roosevelt hotel which looks like a 2 minute walk away. This could be dangerous.

Definitely get sized for the popular Alden lasts while you are there as well. They are going to have a much wider range of sizes/widths on hand than AE will.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I really wish that the made-for-Brooks Brothers/Jos. A. Bank/Ralph Lauren shoes were available in 14E and 15!

Your message made me laugh. We realize that some people do enjoy the "hunt" for shoes. You can still reach out to any of our retail outlets and work with them directly. You can also call or email customer service, and they will be glad to help you. For those that want more control, there is shoebank.com. For Allen Edmonds its all about giving the customer options, and a better experience. Thanks for the laugh and being a great customer.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never stepped foot in a brick and mortar location because I live in upstate NY and the closest actual AE store that carries anything close to my size is at least a 6 hour drive. I will be in Manhattan in 2 weeks and I want to finally get properly fitted at a store that will have my size in stock. I measure 8E on the brannock device printout and I would like to be able to try on sizes that range from 7.5 E 7.5EE 8E 8EE for many different shoes so that after being fitted, I am confident with my orders moving forward. I have returned so many seconds due to the fit not being correct and it is quite draining.

What store would be my best bet? Am I going to have issues finding these sizes or having an SA work with me to try and find my size for 5-10 different style shoes? What is a good strategy to go about doing this? I was thinking about just putting my cards on the table and telling them that I want to try on a ton of different shoes to find my size but then maybe committing to the student interview offer so that they know I will at least buy something.

Thanks in advance

I have been very discouraged over the limited stock at my local AE store, which has been open for a little over a year now. This is in stark contrast to a couple other Atlanta area stores that seemed to have at least one size in every last. Or the Leeds outlet, when on the rare occasion Earl didn't have a size in, he'd immediately have it drop shipped.

So, I would definitely call in advance. Make sure you are not catching them at a busy time; offer to call back or let them call you when it isn't busy. Channel your inner @Neo1 and give them as much information as you can about sizing, past models you have tried, desired models, etc. Letting them know you are interested in making at least one purchase, provided you get the correct fit might help their motivation.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do the same but having numerous color variations at my disposal makes me want to try some variations. I laced up the walnut strand I just can't decide. What do you think.

I work in a casual dress environment and my AE choices tend to reflect that. I like switching up my laces from time to time. With that being said, I don't think that the lace swap works for the Strand in general. I personally love the Strand, and have a pair in oxblood, but the reason I like it is that it can dress down a more a formal look (wool trousers and a dress shirt), or it can dress up a casual look (chinos and a polo). By changing the laces to a striped pair, you've got a lot of elements fighting against each other. Formal (balmoral) shoe, with broguing (casual), with a cap toe (formal), in a walnut color (casual). I think a more neutral type of lace is the only one that works for a walnut Strand. If I were to change laces, I'd probably stick to a solid color that matched something I was wearing that day - shirt, watch band, etc. - to keep the fighting to a minimum. But, that's just one filthy barnweasel's opinion. Your mileage may vary. Opinions here do not reflect the opinions of Allen Edmonds and its subsidiaries. Talk to your doctor before embarking on any shoe program.

Full disclosure: I'm wearing cognac McTavishes today with orange laces (to play off the Seiko Orange Monster), and also because my inner-Illini believes they just look great with orange. I'm not just a filthy barnweasel, I'm a biased, filthy barnweasel. The McTavish has a ton of casual elements working for it (double oak sole, wing tips, rougher calfskin) that colored laces tend to work great with. Here's a really crappy iPhone photo I snapped off at work before anyone could notice I was looking at my shoes. I'm pretty sure I just desecrated everything that is holy and good in the typical Watch Idiot pose. For that, I'm eternally sorry.

In the end, the choice is up to you. If you like it, rock it. Own that mofo. Confidence is king. Stride like a boss, striped laces and all. There's no shoe jury in the world that would convict you of crimes against Allen Edmonds.

whodey14

Reaction score

I work in a casual dress environment and my AE choices tend to reflect that. I like switching up my laces from time to time. With that being said, I don't think that the lace swap works for the Strand in general. I personally love the Strand, and have a pair in oxblood, but the reason I like it is that it can dress down a more a formal look (wool trousers and a dress shirt), or it can dress up a casual look (chinos and a polo). By changing the laces to a striped pair, you've got a lot of elements fighting against each other. Formal (balmoral) shoe, with broguing (casual), with a cap toe (formal), in a walnut color (casual). I think a more neutral type of lace is the only one that works for a walnut Strand. If I were to change laces, I'd probably stick to a solid color that matched something I was wearing that day - shirt, watch band, etc. - to keep the fighting to a minimum. But, that's just one filthy barnweasel's opinion. Your mileage may vary. Opinions here do not reflect the opinions of Allen Edmonds and its subsidiaries. Talk to your doctor before embarking on any shoe program. Full disclosure: I'm wearing cognac McTavishes today with orange laces (to play off the Seiko Orange Monster), and also because my inner-Illini believes they just look great with orange. I'm not just a filthy barnweasel, I'm a biased, filthy barnweasel. The McTavish has a ton of casual elements working for it (double oak sole, wing tips, rougher calfskin) that colored laces tend to work great with. Here's a really crappy iPhone photo I snapped off at work before anyone could notice I was looking at my shoes. I'm pretty sure I just desecrated everything that is holy and good in the typical Watch Idiot pose. For that, I'm eternally sorry. In the end, the choice is up to you. If you like it, rock it. Own that mofo. Confidence is king. Stride like a boss, striped laces and all. There's no shoe jury in the world that would convict you of crimes against Allen Edmonds.
I greatly appreciate your input and completely agree in the competing styles. That said I am pot committed now since I have already laced both and I am about to head out the door. That being said I am in an extremely casual business where no one comes close to allen edmonds. Johnston and murphy are the nicest shoe you'll see on my coworkers. To conclude I certainly have the confidence so I am set and will likely switch the laces back this evening but one wear can't hurt. Inaugural wear at that.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in a casual dress environment and my AE choices tend to reflect that. I like switching up my laces from time to time. With that being said, I don't think that the lace swap works for the Strand in general. I personally love the Strand, and have a pair in oxblood, but the reason I like it is that it can dress down a more a formal look (wool trousers and a dress shirt), or it can dress up a casual look (chinos and a polo). By changing the laces to a striped pair, you've got a lot of elements fighting against each other. Formal (balmoral) shoe, with broguing (casual), with a cap toe (formal), in a walnut color (casual). I think a more neutral type of lace is the only one that works for a walnut Strand. If I were to change laces, I'd probably stick to a solid color that matched something I was wearing that day - shirt, watch band, etc. - to keep the fighting to a minimum. But, that's just one filthy barnweasel's opinion. Your mileage may vary. Opinions here do not reflect the opinions of Allen Edmonds and its subsidiaries. Talk to your doctor before embarking on any shoe program.

Full disclosure: I'm wearing cognac McTavishes today with orange laces (to play off the Seiko Orange Monster), and also because my inner-Illini believes they just look great with orange. I'm not just a filthy barnweasel, I'm a biased, filthy barnweasel. The McTavish has a ton of casual elements working for it (double oak sole, wing tips, rougher calfskin) that colored laces tend to work great with. Here's a really crappy iPhone photo I snapped off at work before anyone could notice I was looking at my shoes. I'm pretty sure I just desecrated everything that is holy and good in the typical Watch Idiot pose. For that, I'm eternally sorry.

In the end, the choice is up to you. If you like it, rock it. Own that mofo. Confidence is king. Stride like a boss, striped laces and all. There's no shoe jury in the world that would convict you of crimes against Allen Edmonds.

This post is both hilarious and factual. I still wish you guys had beaten those dirty tar holes back in '05. Ugh.

Shoes4play

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a pair of Dundees that I bought from a retailer that I suspect sells seconds not marked as such. The prices are usually good and the flaws so minor that I don't mind and I have bought more than one pair of AEs from them over the internet. I have another pair of Dundees that I bought as firsts directly from AE.

Can you tell which is which from this picture?

Seconds are on the right.

drcharlie

Reaction score
Your message made me laugh. We realize that some people do enjoy the "hunt" for shoes. You can still reach out to any of our retail outlets and work with them directly. You can also call or email customer service, and they will be glad to help you. For those that want more control, there is shoebank.com. For Allen Edmonds its all about giving the customer options, and a better experience. Thanks for the laugh and being a great customer.

It's fun to think back to the "old" days. I went digging through old emails and found an old inventory spreadsheet from the Labor Day sale in 2013. There are 439 lines of shoes listed for my size. Looking through the list, I see at least 6 pairs I regret not buying. I especially regret that I never bought a Ralph Lauren branded shoe--those were beautiful shoes. During that sale they were being sold a a very, very fair price. For all newcomers that only know the shoebank website, here is is just a little sample of what the spreadsheets looked like. One of the fun things was that it listed how many of an item were in stock. No, that's information I never needed to know but I found it interesting. Another cool thing was you had a list of all these names and then you had to figure out what kind of shoe they were (such as the RL branded shoes). Man, how I wished I would have gotten a pair of the Saunders chukka boots! Anyone here have one? Do you still wear them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads