Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Thanks! Extra credit to the subway lighting.

2. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Hey @blaster did you get a chance to meet Paul G at the Bellevue Sq store today? J

3. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

That's probably a wise choice. Send him an email - I've heard he reads and responds. I'd be a little more diplomatic/respectful than that... ;)

4. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

9.5D-10D Depending on the shoe. I have AE in all sizes from 9.5D, 9.5E, 10D. 9.5D are very snug on the 65 last for me. Borderline too tight, but stretching allows me to keep wearing them. In something like a 201 last I suspect I might be able to wear a 9.5D loosely and maybe even fit in a 9D.

5. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Which designs in particular? I'm not fond of some of the new stuff, but I like the Cornwallis, Yorktown, Rogue, Warwick, and First Ave.

6. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

It's a blue Neumok Thursday for me with bad office carpet and standard issue office desk/cube.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2016

7. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

PSA: if anyone is an 11.5 A, there is a brand new pair of cigar shell Strands (2nds) for $300 on ebay.

[​IMG]

8. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I think the sheer number of your purchase history with the company earns you the right to be "that guy."

SOMEONE has to say something about the new "spray-on" lacquer finish. Hand polishing is so much better.

10. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

I believe I've asked this before but don't recall the answer. What shoes are essentially required to be straight bar laced? Which are open to interpretation? I got a pair of black park avenues that I have already straight laced because it seemed fitting however I was curious on the Strand, Mcallister, ect ect what the proper way of lacing would be. Other than the 5A and pa being straight laced everything else I have is traditional.

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I bar lace shoes for two reasons. 1) The shoe is an oxford and the v-gap laces completely shut. 2) I would bar lace a black cap toe, regardless of the v-gap.

The other answer is that it's all up to you. I particularly like the look of cross lacing on my non-black oxfords. When I first got into shoes I bar laced everything, but I got tired of the look and they are more difficult to tighten and loosen, especially if you hide the underside of the lacing.

12. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

Ok, thank you and that's where my head was going.

What are your thoughts on colorful shoestrings? Blue and white for instance on walnut strands.

13. gm928

gm928 Senior member

The new "spray-on" lacquer finish has one very big advantage: it causes people to return perfectly good shoes when it flakes off, and then I can buy said shoes at a significant discount. I just recently picked up a pair of first-quality brown shell Strands from a well-known ebay seller for $200. Based on the condition of the soles and the total absence of any creasing or rolling, I'd guess that they were only worn once or twice. The only "defect" that I can find, and that was disclosed by the seller's photos, is some flaking of the finish. Once I have an hour or so to spend with a brush and some Renovateur, I'll essentially have a pair of new shell Strands at a $450 discount.

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I'm more conservative in that sense. I'll match my belt, shoes and watch strap (if it's leather) whenever possible, but I typically leave stock laces on my shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.