• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cousin Eddie classics. I found these on the Bay. Would these qualify me as a filthy barn weasel?
You know when I saw those, I immediately thought of this -

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only two pair? Maybe it's the work stress talking, but I could easily go ape on 4 or 5 that are on sale right now!
happy.gif
Unfortunately, many are on lasts I haven't tried.

Has anyone noticed all the Dundees are at $199? Addison is at $189 too. These were not shown on the sales flyer I received.

Heard someone wrote an article to try to help in this area - might be worth a look
smile.gif

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barn weasel PSA. Spotted some Madison aves in Walnut at my Nordies Rack (I'm in the DC area). Various sizes but mostly in D widths. The bad: They're going for $209. I really like the shade of walnut and how it looks on this captoe:
I remember that one when it was new. Not bad - they used that style on a few I remember - San Marco & New Orleans included. Like the 5th, I'm just not a fan - I like either totally plain toe or all-out medallion. Definitely a try before you buy if possible - my guess is a lot of people might find the Madison on the narrow side. Price seems way too high considering how old they were and considering NR usually sells 2nds.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for recommendations for a 2nd pair of shoes to rotate with a pair of Bourbon 5th Avenues I just picked up on the ShoeBank.

Short background, 35 year old engineering project manager that meets with clients at least once a week and gives presentations in front of 20+ people once a month. Normal business attire (slacks / button shirt) 4 days a week with denim on Friday. Until now I've mostly had Kenneth Cole shoes but looking to take my appearance up a notch.

Thanks!

Quick thoughts: Leeds, Yorktown, or MacNeil, depending how ornate you want to go. All but the Yorktown work well with jeans, too, and if you're comfortable with it you can wear them with jeans and damn the critics. The Strand and McAllister are classic looks, but don't work as well with jeans as the others (although again, confidence > rules).

Oinkedmoo

Reaction score

Looking for recommendations for a 2nd pair of shoes to rotate with a pair of Bourbon 5th Avenues I just picked up on the ShoeBank.

Short background, 35 year old engineering project manager that meets with clients at least once a week and gives presentations in front of 20+ people once a month. Normal business attire (slacks / button shirt) 4 days a week with denim on Friday. Until now I've mostly had Kenneth Cole shoes but looking to take my appearance up a notch.

Thanks!

I'm a fan of a simple cap toe in a subtle shade of brown, they're nice but still flow with all the black, bicycle toed shoes the other engineers wear. I find myself reaching for my bourbon Lexingtons more and more, and a pair of brown Park Avenues are on my short list.

I've seen other engineers with sleeker wing tips, the Madison Avenue from Nordstrom or the Leiden come to mind.

Unfortunately, the guys on the top floor all wear loafers. With tassels.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

If you want to stick with something in the brown family, I'd suggest something in either Walnut, Oxblood/Chili or Burgundy.

Since you already have a punch cap, you might want to look at a wingtip, so either a McAllister, McGregor, MacNeil (classic burgundy shoe) or the Leiden. I personally love the look of a walnut McAllister.

Possibly even a Strand if you don't prefer wingtips. Are your 5As dainite? Might make sense to grab a dainite shoe for wet weather wear.

RTD1

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers is having a today only sale (30%) on everything, including shoes, for Corporate Members. Does anyone know if the Brown Suede long wings are made by AE? It says Goodyear welted, made in the USA, and the regular price is $398, so it sounds like it, but wanted to confirm.

gm928

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers is having a today only sale (30%) on everything, including shoes, for Corporate Members. Does anyone know if the Brown Suede long wings are made by AE? It says Goodyear welted, made in the USA, and the regular price is $398, so it sounds like it, but wanted to confirm.
Yes, those are AE. Sorry I don't have any links, but I remember them being discussed on this board before. Also, one of the reviews posted on the BB website says that they are made by AE, and a Brooks representative responded to the review without making any corrections to that statement.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So not AE, but I get sad and lonely when I don't post pictures here. Wolverine 1000 mile Centennial from Nordstrom. I wish my Daltons would have broke in as easy as these bad boys...

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I wonder if it would improve over time as the leather works out a bit - tried 'em on again this morning and was able to make the gap smaller with slightly tighter lacing. I guess it could go the other way too... :( I'll talk to AE

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember that one when it was new. Not bad - they used that style on a few I remember - San Marco & New Orleans included. Like the 5th, I'm just not a fan - I like either totally plain toe or all-out medallion. Definitely a try before you buy if possible - my guess is a lot of people might find the Madison on the narrow side. Price seems way too high considering how old they were and considering NR usually sells 2nds.

That's why I liked them: they were sleek looking! I'm not 100% but I think these were 1sts, due to the no stamp on the sole. Also, they all had leather soles.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Some has to do with bad finishing by AE. Some has to do that you can't wear that last. Return and move on. For me the most perfect last is the 333: no gaping at all. Worst may be the Macneil one. Can't remember the #.

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I just finished a chat session with AE. They can send another D as well as an E and see how that does. I love the look of these, and think they'll be stunners with some patina. The 5-last is so good for me, and the finishing on these is otherwise pretty much perfect - I hate to give up...

Last edited:

AllenEdmonds

Reaction score
The change was made to shoebank.com because of performance issues we were seeing with the pages. Due to the high volume the sale was triggering, the site was becoming unavailable. Many customers are only selecting their size and width, which on popular sizes can return between 300-350 items and pictures. Believe me when I say, I don't like pagination either. However, we needed to do something quickly to make the site work for our customers. Also, we would never implement a change to the website during a sale period unless its absolutely necessary. In this case we decided it was necessary.

We have fixed the issues with the filters. We will look at adding an additional option to select the number of items per page to display.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions as we continue to improve shoebank.com

Thank you,

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The change was made to shoebank.com because of performance issues we were seeing with the pages. Due to the high volume the sale was triggering, the site was becoming unavailable. Many customers are only selecting their size and width, which on popular sizes can return between 300-350 items and pictures. Believe me when I say, I don't like pagination either. However, we needed to do something quickly to make the site work for our customers. Also, we would never implement a change to the website during a sale period unless its absolutely necessary. In this case we decided it was necessary.

We have fixed the issues with the filters. We will look at adding an additional option to select the number of items per page to display.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions as we continue to improve shoebank.com

Thank you,

I hope you are able to prioritize the "items per page" fix - I'm confident the new design is costing you money as people get tired of paging and paging and paging...

Also, some more refinements on searching ShoeBank would be great - the easier to search, the more we can buy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads