Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Does anyone have a pair of Eglins? They look like tan (maybe cognac) McTavish except captoe vs wings. Is there much difference here? I like them but seems like they would fill the same roll.

2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@gotribe You're fighting the 65 last, drastically screwing up the length to compensate for high arch and closing the vgap. Why continue to punish yourself? Check out the 201 before proceeding.

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@ace13x I saw two pairs of gray long branch at bcf get down to like $40 before they disappeared. I also remember passing on first quality gray McTavish from AE directly for 117 (don't comment on that second item, still sore about it).

4. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Walnut Park Aves on NR are also gone now. Didn't take long for those to go at $199...

5. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

157 for both?? You couldn't take my money fast enough.

6. DeathandTaxes

DeathandTaxes Well-Known Member

I have the Elgins in waxy tan in 10E, Rush Streets in golden brown Chromexcel with Dainite soles in 10D, and pairs of McTavish in both cognac and brown distressed (and black) in 10D and find they all serve different roles (I just added a few more for your consideration and comparison).

I like to think of the Elgin as a more casual strand, due to the style and the color being much more like a darker walnut than it is anything like the cognac McTavish. As the Elgins are made of a different type of leather, they take on more character over time and I have probably received more compliments on them than all of my pairs of McTavish combined (and I likely wear the Elgins least frequently).

Also, although all of the shoes are on the 65 last I found the sizing to be different, with the McTavish running the largest, followed by the Rush Street (which has some stretch due to the material) and then the Elgin (hence the size up in width in the Elgin). I do find that all of these do fit larger than their 65 last dress welt counterparts.

I find room in my closet for many shoes some may call similar, but these I find to be distinct and great shoes that I wear with anything spanning dark denim to a sport coat and tie. It also probably doesn't hurt that my 3 favorite Allen Edmonds models are all versions of a tan: the Rush Street, the Elgin, and the Rutledge.

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Well, I swung by the Mebane, NC AE Outlet/Shoebank and tried on some 11.5D Warwicks in the Brooks Brothers Dark Chili Burnished color...

...and they're too tight. I guess the 1-last isn't much better for a higher instep - they're tight across the top just in front of the strap :( They had a 12 and there's just too much heel slip. No "E" in Brooks styles and based on my experience with the Rush St an "E" might not solve it anyway (which is why I'm selling the Rust Sts.) - not loving the AE colors (Oxblood and Walnut) anyway.

Dang.

8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Filthy barnweasels.

Just pulled the trigger on two pairs. I had been thinking of saving for a pair of Alden Indy boots, but that just went right out the door!

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

That's when I got mine!! Such a great clearance sale. I got Amoks too for a similar price.

10. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

You're right. I didn't read it correctly...

11. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I'm contemplating the same exact purchase. But sales and barn weasels...

12. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

I can't catch a break!!!!

Brooks Bros Park Ave 2nds that I've had for 6 months tops and the heel is cracking. They aren't loose but why the freak are they cracking? 2nd or that I've had this happen to. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Can you feel it moving? If not, I'd hit it with edge dressing and carry on...

14. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

No movement. So is this normal? The heels don't feel loose...

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'd guess there is a tiny bit of movement that is wearing the color off the edges. It doesn't look structural to me, so I'd just hit it with the edge dressing and go from there. Just my (non-expert) opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.