Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mosy

mosy Distinguished Member

Does it make sense that I am a 9D in the Park Ave and an 8.5E in the Carlyle? (my Brannock is 8.5 heel to toe and 9 heel to ball - on the wider end of the "D" spectrum)

2. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

My black shoes are a black grain (very grainy water bison) wingtip blucher, and a casual pebble grain plain toe blucher with a mini lug sole (AE Athens). I've also got a black pair of AE Stowe loafers, which definitely seems too casual for a pallbearer.
    I will fix my Park Avenues into a proper black pair after I return. (Now that it's started, there's no turning back.) I don't plan to buy another pair of the same.

3. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Senior Member

Actually, the color is "Gold Diavolo" ...it's more of a tan shade (hard to tell from the pictures). I did apply venetian cream over the weekend so I think it made it just a shade darker.
    Out of the box, it was more goldish brown than tan.

Yeah...the rubber sole feels too 'soft'. Really comfortable but I don't think it will last as long as traditional rubber soles. But like you, when the time comes, I'll get mine recrafted with something more harder.

But love the comfort for now. At $159, it was more than a bargain!!! I had it in my cart all day thinking and by the time I pulled the trigger, they just got sold out. Not sure if I bought the last pair..haha.

4. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior Member

Something about wearing a good pair of shoes and smelling good that gets me through the day. Also my photography skills have advanced to "step out of your car and snap a picture" level, so there's that.
    [​IMG]

5. MattRiv

MattRiv Distinguished Member

It's crazy how similar the MacNeil is to these Florsheim Imperials.

[​IMG]

6. whodey14

whodey14 Senior Member

Twining
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2016

7. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior Member

@whodey14 such a comfortable shoe. And the pebble grain is realllllllllllly growing on me a lot.
    @MattRiv I should branch out and get some non AE but I need that instant gratification knowing it'll fit. If there was an Alden store in my area I might be in trouble. Although Brooks Brothers does sell them...

8. MattRiv

I own some non-AE shoes other than these Florsheims. I just picked them up off ebay for $70, turns out they are 60's-70's vintage shell cordovan with original soles and heels, which is insane for that price. I would not recommend new Florsheims, but these are indeed "gunboats". They are the same size as my 5 last, probably with a bit more room in the ball of the foot.

As far as Alden, I was in SF a few months ago and stopped in to get fitted for the unlined chukkas and Indys. I honestly think I like the AE styles better. What impressed me about the store was that they had TONS of shell shoes out on display, while an AE store might have 1 in your size.... maybe.

9. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Senior Member

Did u try the Indy's? It's my 'go-to' boots now. I'm not sure how Alden designed it but the boots molds around your feet/ankle like a basketball shoe over time. Out of all the boots I own (not much), it's my most comfortable. Also, there's something about the Indy's sole...I wear mine to work a lot (hospital) and the traction is extremely good on tile floors compared to my few leather sole dress shoes. I also love the horween leather. Scuffs up easily but few brushes and it shines in no time. I also find Alden's leather is a cut above AE (thus reflects in price).
    [​IMG]

10. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior Member

@SSingh1975 that's probably the boot I'd buy through Alden. I have 1000k with Wolverine and love them. Figure Indys would be similar to those

11. MattRiv

I did get my size, but didn't splurge on them at the time. I've got a Frye replica (the Walter) that I'm a big fan of, which is a bit more sleek than the Indy. I've got followed searches on ebay for both the Indy and the unlined chukka.

12. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Senior Member

Nice! I'm wearing brown grain MacNeils today too!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2016

13. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior Member

Haha post them up. Triplets with me, you, and @whodey14

14. whodey14

whodey14 Senior Member

Thats funny, good taste all around. Probably my second favorite behind the oxblood strands. I love those things.

15. whodey14

whodey14 Senior Member

What's everyone's opinion on the Hagerstown. I like those at the price point but haven't seen much talk of them. Figured I would check into the forum prior to pulling the trigger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.