1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

I'm pretty sure you're kidding, but just in case...

I'd never do that. Paul's goodwill and accessibility are things I'd leverage very carefully.

2. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

Hope yours turn out better than mine. Then again at $149 I might have been a bit more forgiving.

3. gm928

gm928 Senior Member

I did see the pics you posted a few pages back, but for $149 I'm taking my chances. Worst thing that happens is I pay the $10 restocking fee.

4. ace13x

Did you pay by credit card? You may have furter recourse through them if you get no satisfactory resoloution from AE.

5. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm OK. I thought about what "satisfaction" would be, and I really don't know. A full refund feels like I'm taking advantage of the situation. The rest of the recraft was handled very well, and frankly I was most nervous that my bourbon shoes would come back with tiger stripes, and they didn't. They're damn pretty actually - whoever does the hand polishing in that department is very good.

I'm going to try to sand the sole edges myself, and if I don't like where it's going I'll call back, talk to a supervisor, and figure something out.

Now, in the spirit of returning positivity to this thread, below are my lecture-worthy McGregor seconds resting after their first day out. Only issue I've found is a "kink" on the inside of one shoe near the heel counter, which isn't noticeable when they're being worn. Huge upgrade from the pair they replaced.

[​IMG]

6. ace13x

Mine were $298 direct from BB, after 25% off, so $149 is a nice discount. Good luck, and please post pics. I'm curious to see if I was supremely unlucky.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

I will have to give serious thought to whether I will send another pair of AE's in for re-crafting. I sent a pair of chukka's in a few years ago that returned with a deep scratch very prominently placed in the center of the toe. I did not say anything because I naively thought I could polish over it. It was too deep and remains very prominently on the toe of the boots.

Chalking the first instance up to bad luck, I sent a pair of Walnut Strands in for re-crafting recently. They returned with a deep gouge on the outside of the left shoe near the toe. The gouge is large enough to resemble a hole in the leather. AE initially claimed the hole was there before the re-craft and that it had photographic evidence of the same, but eventually backed off this when I asked to see their picture. At that point, AE acknowledged the gouge/hole was considerably worse after the re-craft. To its credit, AE eventually offered a full refund of the re-craft fee but this is not really a make whole remedy since I had a pair of Strands in pristine condition and now have a pair with a gouge in the left shoe.

I will probably accept the re-craft refund and call it a day, but will give serious thought to whether I will ever send another pair of shoes in for a re-craft. Below is a picture. It does not fully capture how the leather looks like it has peeled away from the hole.

[​IMG]

8. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

My Clark shoes arrived today! :D The invoice stated that these were the last pair of 8D Clark's. The only blemish is that little brown spot on the left shoe by the laces, which I don't mind.

After trying these on, I realized they are very comfortable, but they fit very much larger in the heel than the Lasalle or Carlyle. My heel fits perfectly snug in my Lasalle and Carlyle's, but this one feels much more loose, so there's a little bit of slippage in my heel. I'm getting the impression these were designed for thicker socks, so I'm going to go that route to fix the slip. I actually like this Dainite rubber sole better than the Othello and VIP because it is harder. The insole is also new to me, as this foam one is different than the leather and poron, yet it's very comfortable.

I want to wear these with khaki's but I don't have a clue what belt will match this. Does AE offer anything that will match this color?

Overall, I feel very fortunate to have been able to get these, especially because they were unlisted. Love that they include 2 sets of laces. I look at this style and wonder why the hell AE discontinued such a unique and awesome-looking shoe. Perhaps I will write Paul a letter asking him to consider bringing this one back.

[​IMG]

9. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

Man, I'm sorry to see that. I would think that they would be willing to offer you a replacement pair if they did that to your shoes. I would not be happy with that, and reading this story worries me a little bit. I hope their recrafting improves by the year 2018 when I will have my first recrafting experience.

Last edited: May 16, 2016

10. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

The Humboldt Ave belt in natural CXL. Its on clearance but if you can find your size, it's great.

11. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior Member

Do you guys have good luck with getting shoes stretched? Do the look deformed afterwards? Pros and Cons? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Distinguished Member

Taking advantage of the Memorial sales, I picked up a pair of the BB black pebble grain MacNeil for $149.

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

The Shoebank's website made a small but very annoying change today. Now they only show 18 shoes at a time, and you have to keep hitting "next" or whatever to get the next 18.

It's like they took advice from Buzzfeed or some other terrible site.

14. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

I guess that switchover is what caused the site disturbance earlier today. Dislike the change intensely...

15. RichieP

RichieP Senior Member

Yep, your browns look like the gold in their pic.
    And your golds look more brown than Lobster's.
    My head asplode :bounce2:

Last edited: May 16, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.