1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Roger that. I somehow didn't t notice the Bar Harbor before. I have a love/hate relationship with quality shoes vs loafers. I take my shoes off as I enter the house,so I thought I'd continue with loafers. I can jam my thumb in the heel of my J&M's to have then on and off in a jiffy, but wouldn't dare do that with my AEs. Haven't been totally pleased with my Randolphs, so I'll look at any loafer on sale since it's so hard to get a good fit. I know what you mean about the 555 being unpredictable. I believe the Kirkwoods will do better and hope the new Maritimes actually fit when they arrive tomorrow.

On the other hand, my lace ups are so awesome, I don't mind the extra time to deal with the laces!

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Moved your post over here @Gutter736

3. Canadianguy

Canadianguy Senior member

1 person likes this.
  4. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

The Dainite sole is very durable, and a good choice with that boot. I have a pair of Daltons and wish that I had bought a pair with Dainite.

5. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Walnut Wednesday:
    [​IMG]
    And from the weekend, the University with denim (blasphemy!):
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. columnsofsteam

columnsofsteam Active Member

If I were you, I'd keep them. I'd been lusting after Daltons for years before pulling the trigger on a Walnut Dainite pair late last year, and I couldn't be happier. In my eyes, whatever you lose aesthetically (which, admittedly, isn't much) is more than made up for by the added functionality. They've become my de facto "I know it's going to rain today and I don't feel like fussing with Swims" shoes -- even during the warmer months, despite living in the South.

That said, what works for me may not work for you. Leather-soled Daltons have dropped as low as $219 in the past year, which isn't too much more than what you probably paid for the Dainite, so if you don't think you'll be happy with these and you're willing to bide your time for another significant markdown, that's an option, but to be perfectly honest, given what you plan to use them for, I think you'll come around.

7. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

You know I"ve been trying hard to decide if I want to kiss and make up with the 333 chisel toe of my Larchmont and go ahead on the university? I think you just made up my mind - holy cow why couldn't you have posted these earlier! They look absolutely killer.

1 person likes this.
  8. Gutter736

Gutter736 Member

I appreciate the feedback. They are so comfortable I can't see returning tge. Got the for less than $200 so I thought the price was right as well.

9. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior member

I special ordered my oxblood Daltons with Dainite as my walnuts have the leather. I agree it's a good sole for a boot, and much sleeker then a lug sole. I like it for some shoes too, as both the grip and durability should be better then leather and you don't need to worry about water as much.

10. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I know exactly what you mean - I still keep my CH Howland & Air Grants around if I want to jam them on also, but yeah I'm always looking. Wound up picking up a handful of AE drivers so far - definitely not worth the premium but at sale prices they're at least somewhat of an upgrade. The ae by AE stuff seems kind of all over the map though - the Kirkwood/Maritime was way better than I expected. The Desoto/Concordia and most recently that Sojourner? Not so much...

11. Gutter736

Gutter736 Member

Great feedback. Thank you. As I continue to think about it keeping them makes more and more sense. My only pair in Walnut to boot (see what I did there?). I'll likely keep them and add to the quickly growing collection.

12. gm928

gm928 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Beautiful! Where??

Ordered a pair of blue saddle with white pebble grain ryden with hopes they'd be similar to the old Footjoy Classics Dry Premierre. Not quite as good but pretty nice. Had to return bc of improper sizing, but for $200, it was a great bargain

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  14. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Well-Known Member

If shoebank had a pair of Daltons in good shape in my size WITH Dainite, I'd snap them up. I prefer Dainite soles with boots. (And with less formal shoes.)

15. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

In my opinion, dainite is as close to indestructible as anything I've ever seen. Although I'm not a boot man, if I were I probably would sole my boots only with dainite. Plus, it is comfortable as all get out. I do think there is a longer break in period over leather soles. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Macky T action tonight. The only acceptable shoe in my rotation for practice studios and crowded bars.

PS, I'm officially the first Instagram user to hashtag #filthybarnweasels

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Wasatch State Park in Midway, Utah. Hidden gem that more people need to experience

18. Gutter736

Gutter736 Member

They are really not bad looking with the dainite in my opinion. Consensus is I am probably over thinking it. I have a pair of Walton's with commando soles that have served as my foul weather shoes and done ok. I think these could certainly serve that purpose too.

19. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Why not yet? Paul hasn't come through with the sponsorship?

20. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Haha. I need to send him a highlight video of my swings...

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.