• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, so disappointed in my last recrafting.
Honestly, the heels wouldn't bother me if they got the "conversion" part right, but all together it just feels sloppy and rushed.

Not sure what my options are. Getting $10 refunded and nothing more would leave me with a really bad taste in my mouth, but losing my favorite shoes for another month would suck.

Not to mention that re-recrafting is not going to bode well for your shoes longevity. With all the detail (like welt color) mistakes that seem to be happening, I wonder if the recrafting dept. is under-staffed and rushed??? If so, maybe not the best time to offer a new purchase discount based on sending in an old pair for recrafting.

Seems your not all that pleased with the customer service provided by your SA either. Maybe its time to call AE CS directly.

Last edited:

DapperDriver

Reaction score

Not to mention that re-recrafting is not going to bode well for your shoes longevity.  With all the detail (like welt color) mistakes that seem to be happening, I wonder if the recrafting  dept. is under-staffed and rushed???  If so, maybe not the best time to offer a new purchase discount based on sending in an old pair for recrafting.

Seems your not all that pleased with the customer service provided by your SA either.  Maybe its time to call AE CS directly.

In fairness, I haven't been able to speak to anyone in the recrafting department. I opened the package yesterday after spending the week in Vegas, and that dept isn't open on the weekend.

I'm just a bit weary of AE's hit-or-miss on QC. The McCallister firsts I bought during the Bloomingdales sale should have been seconds, but I just sucked it up. The previous two purchases of first-quality shoes ended up involving returns. The last pair of seconds I bought ended up returned after the SA at the CAC saw a picture and said they were very poor quality leather, but before the exchange pair shipped I was treated to a lecture on what makes a second quality shoe from a separate associate in the returns department.

Fear and trepidation has replaced excitement when I open an AE package. I think after this I'm going to limit my purchases to brick-and-mortar; there's a retail store an hour or so from home.

Dd1101

Reaction score
1) Yes, the $125 doesn't include SMU changes such as sole/welt/insole/size. Linings aren't an SMU option from what I've been told.

2) JR soles and leather insoles are standard for shell, and I assume the edge color and welt are the same as on the non-shell version of the shoe (assuming the shell is the same color as a non-shell offering). If the shell color is different from what's offered on the non-shell version, they probably use what's standard on other shoes in that shell color.

$692.75 by my math (0.85 * ($650 shoe + $125 MTO shell fee + $40 insole change fee)).

And dang it! Why'd you remind me that I've been wanting a pair of shell Cornwallises! Now I feel like I forgot something in my order today... I wonder if I can find a 1943 last size that fits me... OTOH, I can always wait for the Stanford/Palo Alto AE store to open up in July and place my MTO order for that then... lol

ok I forgot the $40 insole fee.

Can this be done through Allison Meyer at AE? she over saw the production of my last 2 shells because it only took them on the 4th try to get my Strand right and after 5, yes 5 pairs of burgundy mcneils I ended up getting the Burgundy Cambridge.

For the made to order shell I want something on the 1943 last, leaning towards the Leiden now. In Brown.

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In fairness, I haven't been able to speak to anyone in the recrafting department. I opened the package yesterday after spending the week in Vegas, and that dept isn't open on the weekend.

I'm just a bit weary of AE's hit-or-miss on QC. The McCallister firsts I bought during the Bloomingdales sale should have been seconds, but I just sucked it up. The previous two purchases of first-quality shoes ended up involving returns. The last pair of seconds I bought ended up returned after the SA at the CAC saw a picture and said they were very poor quality leather, but before the exchange pair shipped I was treated to a lecture on what makes a second quality shoe from a separate associate in the returns department.

Fear and trepidation has replaced excitement when I open an AE package. I think after this I'm going to limit my purchases to brick-and-mortar; there's a retail store an hour or so from home.

I'm so glad they opened an outlet in NJ to go along with the retail store in Short Hills.

I'm pretty leinient on seconds (IMO), but if I'm paying for firsts, I expect first quality. The Brooks Dundee's I recently got (1st's), were quite poor. The shell Dundee seconds I picked up before that were AMAZING.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you're going for a refund on the full cost of the recrafting or a free do-over now with whatever expiditing that can be done.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the wear and tear off a recraft.

AE seems to have hit-and-miss quality sometimes, but their customer service seems to be excellent.

HoldenMI

Reaction score

I agree that AE's quality control is hit or miss. I've ordered firsts that should have been seconds and seconds with which I could find no flaw. I've also received seconds that I was surprised that AE would sell at all. I too received a lecture from a CAC SA about seconds with "cosmetic blemishes." She said it came down to something being within or outside of "spec." When I asked her what those specs were, she said that there was "nothing in writing." Unfortunately, I can't rely of on brick and mortar stores because I need a narrow width and they have to order that.

All in all, I'm a fan of AE's products, but share your trepidation about quality control. And then to get a lecture from the CAC SA about it can leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bourbon Daltons for me today. These were seconds but could easily have been firsts; the burnishing is perfectly uniform; other than the pair posted by @armedferret I haven't seen any bourbon shoes this good (not a complaint, I have gotten some steals solely due to bad burnishing). The only flaw when I got hem was a small crease in the leather above the heel cup, now completely dominated by creasing due to my ankle.

And as an aside, I think I'll cease the haikus - seems they are played out.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have any of you guys ever used a vamp stretcher to help close the V on your shoes?  I'm wondering if this will damage / make the leather more easy to crack.   

http://www.footfitter.com/p/101-013/shoe-instep-stretcher-vamp-raiser.html

I have never used a vamp stretcher, so I can't offer help with your question. But if you are looking for a stretcher, check out Shoecaresupplies.com. I have purchased a regular stretcher and brushes from them in the past, and have been very pleased with the quality of the products and the customer service that I have received. They do carry a large variety of stretchers.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suede for a Sunday morning.

Oinkedmoo

Reaction score
Memorial Day sale prices at the shoe bank are live. Just ordered a walnut Cornwallis and a wide basic belt from the Maine Freeport store. The SA was terrific and said that the shoes looked great! I'll post some pics when they arrive!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Memorial Day sale prices at the shoe bank are live. Just ordered a walnut Cornwallis and a wide basic belt from the Maine Freeport store. The SA was terrific and said that the shoes looked great! I'll post some pics when they arrive!
Hummm... I'm not noticing much of a difference. Oh well. I didn't have my heart set on anything specific anyways. It's hard to complain as I picked up this vintage V cleat Florsheim Imperial earlier today. They fit me better than the MacNeil. It's in amazing condition given that it was made before 1973.

gm928

Reaction score
Hummm... I'm not noticing much of a difference. Oh well. I didn't have my heart set on anything specific anyways. It's hard to complain as I picked up this vintage V cleat Florsheim Imperial earlier today. They fit me better than the MacNeil. It's in amazing condition given that it was made before 1973.

It all depends on what you might be looking for, but I just checked my size and saw a few significant price reductions. For example (I'm sure there are more), all the BB models are down from $199 to $149, First Avenues are down from $349 to $249, Fifth Streets, Carlyle, and Cornwallis are down from $299 to $199, Indy line shoes are down from $399 to $299, and current-model PAs and Strands are down to $239 (I think they were $299 before). And that's totally ignoring all the loafers and monks, since I don't pay attention to those and don't remember the original prices.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I grabbed some Dark Chili Warwicks - at $149, I'm feeling adventurous.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good prices on the Carlyle, Lasalle and Park Ave. Leeds was not included.

Also, since yesterday when I posted the Walnut Park Ave from Nordstrom Rack for $199, almost all of them are gone. DId anyone on here pick them up?
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics