• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Neo1, So, this one on shoebank isn't good for hiking? RichieP, that Malone is the brown cruiser but it's actually closer to a walnut color and my walnut belt matches it well.
I wouldn't take any AE boot off-roading. They are not built for that. The older gen. Long Branch might be ok for a short while.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't take any AE boot off-roading. They are not built for that. The older gen. Long Branch might be ok for a short while.

Yeah, I dunno. I beat the hell out of mine and it's falling apart after about 3 years.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. That would probably be okay with me. The price is very low, and I am basically looking for something to be rough on (not so much for the look, although I like the look of these). If I got 3 years out of them for $137, that's not a bad deal. I am trying to figure out what kind of sole that is on them. If it's hard rubber, I might consider these this summer.

My running shoes were fine to wear when I was 22 on hikes, but now that I'm in my 30's, they leave my legs feeling achey after a long day of walking.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks.  That would probably be okay with me.  The price is very low, and I am basically looking for something to be rough on (not so much for the look, although I like the look of these).  If I got 3 years out of them for $137, that's not a bad deal.  I am trying to figure out what kind of sole that is on them.  If it's hard rubber, I might consider these this summer.    

My running shoes were fine to wear when I was 22 on hikes, but now that I'm in my 30's, they leave my legs feeling achey after a long day of walking.   

I have that sole on my suede McAllisters. It's quite soft (and comfortable):

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. If it's softer than the Othello, it's not in my best interest then. The Malone and Wilbert is about as soft as I can go.

So now I see it was the other ones that Neo was talking about that had the vibram sole. I was confused.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks.  If it's softer than the Othello, it's not in my best interest then.   The Malone and Wilbert is about as soft as I can go.   

So now I see it was the other ones that Neo was talking about that had the vibram sole.  I was confused.

Actually looking at the picture more closely, I don't think it's the same as the Vibram gumlight on my macs.

RichieP

Reaction score
@smfdoc @Lobster33 @SSingh1975:

Thanks,

Brown as in model #7852? I went back through all your recent pics, and I would have put money on them being Gold (7854). Makes me wonder how much lighter the gold ones actually are, and if there's a wide variation in brown colors a la the Cognac McTavishes.

Well, at least I'm thinking about a clearance model instead of Pep's awesome shell Bradleys .

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@smfdoc @Lobster33 @SSingh1975 :

Thanks,

Brown as in model #7852? I went back through all your recent pics, and I would have put money on them being Gold (7854). Makes me wonder how much lighter the gold ones actually are, and if there's a wide variation in brown colors a la the Cognac McTavishes.

Well, at least I'm thinking about a clearance model instead of Pep's awesome shell Bradleys .

It's the 7852. I actually checked my tongue several times to make sure I bought the right one. When they arrived, I was a bit surprised how they were more like a walnut than brown. I like the walnut color so I kept them. They are my most comfortable shoe, but the leather is extremely soft and gets wrinkled more than my other shoes. I've been told the gold color is closer to a yellow.

The old black friday ad is quite misleading on the color.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@smfdoc @Lobster33 @SSingh1975 :

Thanks,

I checked the tongue and mine are the gold 7854 model. If I have used polish on then 1-2 times I would have used the walnut. You should now be thoroughly confused.

Last edited:

tkebh979

Reaction score
Hey folks - I'm going to be posting some 10Ds on Classic B&S today. Probably the Bay in a week or two if they don't move. Bourbon McAllister, Burgundy Nathan (5th Ave style on the 8 last), and Brooks Chili Warwick all with plenty of life. My fav's are the Nathan.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks - I'm going to be posting some 10Ds on Classic B&S today. Probably the Bay in a week or two if they don't move. Bourbon McAllister, Burgundy Nathan (5th Ave style on the 8 last), and Brooks Chili Warwick all with plenty of life. My fav's are the Nathan.

tkebh979

Reaction score

Thanks (and wow that was fast)! They're great and I'm not all that thrilled to sell them, if I'm honest.

FaRKle

Reaction score
So I went to the Walnut Creek store this morning to order a couple pairs of shell. The store looks nice, and feels more open than the SF Sutter street store, however the shoes are laid out more around the exterior of the store so it feels a bit more difficult to browse.

The manager, Jay, and staff were all super approachable and seemed to know their stuff quite well for being a brand new store (and assuming that they're mostly new AE associates). I'd say they were even more knowledgeable than most of the folks I regularly see at the SF store.

I'm not sure whether it varies per region or not, but when I asked about the "any shoe made in shell MTO" program, they said that the cost was $125 over standard shell cost, not $110 as reported earlier in this thread. They did confirm that the SMU (welt, insole, outsole, non-std size) changes were $40 each with a $110 max charge for 3+ changes.

Their 15% off sale runs till the 25th, and includes MTO and SMU fees.

It looks like Paul G. will be at the store on Tuesday the 17th, and at one of the SF stores the following Friday (20th). I might make the trip over to say hi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads