Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

2. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

I wouldn't take any AE boot off-roading. They are not built for that. The older gen. Long Branch might be ok for a short while.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yeah, I dunno. I beat the hell out of mine and it's falling apart after about 3 years.

4. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Thanks. That would probably be okay with me. The price is very low, and I am basically looking for something to be rough on (not so much for the look, although I like the look of these). If I got 3 years out of them for $137, that's not a bad deal. I am trying to figure out what kind of sole that is on them. If it's hard rubber, I might consider these this summer.

My running shoes were fine to wear when I was 22 on hikes, but now that I'm in my 30's, they leave my legs feeling achey after a long day of walking.

5. peppercorn78

I have that sole on my suede McAllisters. It's quite soft (and comfortable):

[​IMG]

6. ProfilaBinding

Thanks. If it's softer than the Othello, it's not in my best interest then. The Malone and Wilbert is about as soft as I can go.

So now I see it was the other ones that Neo was talking about that had the vibram sole. I was confused.

7. peppercorn78

Actually looking at the picture more closely, I don't think it's the same as the Vibram gumlight on my macs.

8. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

@smfdoc @Lobster33 @SSingh1975:

Thanks,

Brown as in model #7852? I went back through all your recent pics, and I would have put money on them being Gold (7854). Makes me wonder how much lighter the gold ones actually are, and if there's a wide variation in brown colors a la the Cognac McTavishes.

Well, at least I'm thinking about a clearance model instead of Pep's awesome shell Bradleys .

Last edited: May 14, 2016

9. ProfilaBinding

It's the 7852. I actually checked my tongue several times to make sure I bought the right one. When they arrived, I was a bit surprised how they were more like a walnut than brown. I like the walnut color so I kept them. They are my most comfortable shoe, but the leather is extremely soft and gets wrinkled more than my other shoes. I've been told the gold color is closer to a yellow.

The old black friday ad is quite misleading on the color.

[​IMG]

10. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I checked the tongue and mine are the gold 7854 model. If I have used polish on then 1-2 times I would have used the walnut. You should now be thoroughly confused.

11. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Hey folks - I'm going to be posting some 10Ds on Classic B&S today. Probably the Bay in a week or two if they don't move. Bourbon McAllister, Burgundy Nathan (5th Ave style on the 8 last), and Brooks Chili Warwick all with plenty of life. My fav's are the Nathan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ProfilaBinding

[​IMG] Yours look exactly like mine. WTF. Perhaps they put the wrong stamp on mine? Now I'M confused....

[​IMG]

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

14. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Thanks (and wow that was fast)! They're great and I'm not all that thrilled to sell them, if I'm honest.

15. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

So I went to the Walnut Creek store this morning to order a couple pairs of shell. The store looks nice, and feels more open than the SF Sutter street store, however the shoes are laid out more around the exterior of the store so it feels a bit more difficult to browse.

The manager, Jay, and staff were all super approachable and seemed to know their stuff quite well for being a brand new store (and assuming that they're mostly new AE associates). I'd say they were even more knowledgeable than most of the folks I regularly see at the SF store.

I'm not sure whether it varies per region or not, but when I asked about the "any shoe made in shell MTO" program, they said that the cost was $125 over standard shell cost, not $110 as reported earlier in this thread. They did confirm that the SMU (welt, insole, outsole, non-std size) changes were $40 each with a $110 max charge for 3+ changes.

Their 15% off sale runs till the 25th, and includes MTO and SMU fees.

It looks like Paul G. will be at the store on Tuesday the 17th, and at one of the SF stores the following Friday (20th). I might make the trip over to say hi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.