Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Such an interesting pair. Looks almost like color 4

2. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

So with the 15% off at the WC store, I'm highly considering picking up a pair of shell Daltons with a couple of modifications. I know I want a Dainite sole, but with that I'm unsure whether I want a storm welt or not. Also, I do think that Dainite is noticeably harder than a leather sole, and that it pairs well with a Poron insole (my Rush Streets with Poron insole are more comfortable than my Dainite Lexingtons with leather insole), yet something just seems nicer about the leather insole. What do you guys think?

Here's a mock up of the welts I've done, which do you guys like better?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2016

3. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Farkle,
    I would start out with no raised welt. When you recraft, you can ask for the raised welt. Vice versa leaves a "tan line".

Went with the Northlands today. Love how the chromepak lightens at the crease points:

[​IMG]

4. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Wearing my floppy laced khaki (grain) McTavishes today.....

[​IMG]

5. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

It's settled to a nice color for sure. I just started using Saphir cordovan cream in Fawn to try and tone down a bit of the red though, so far liking the results. This pair has seen everything over the years, tons of sun exposure, lexol, VSC, AE cordovan cream, HDLP, Reno, and now the Saphir cream.

Here is a couple pics when they were at their most red phase, I should have covered the welt and edges as I let them see more sun because I have much less contrast to the welt now. Didn't really think about it at the time though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Rocking my new shell patriots... Got them from club Monaco... Piss poor presentation from them. They didn't come with the shoe bags and shipped in a box for the Macneils.

But shoes looks great and got them during the 30% off sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    It's Throwback Thursday and today I submit the Garner. It came in black, brown and snuff suede. Discontinued in 05 and on the 5 last. Very similar to the Warwick and Norwich in appearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I like the Storm. If you accidentally get a pair in 8E and need to offload, let me know ;-)

9. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

That's great man. They look super, and a great deal to boot!

I checked up with the CAC a few times to see if the offending ones came through to no avail. They may well be lumped in with a bunch of Carolina Panthers Super Bowl Champions t-shirts in Lower Swabia somewhere...

10. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Booo on that Panthers comment. Went to 8 out of 10 home games last year including both playoff games. So. Frustrating.

11. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

I'm a bit confused about the MTO option. Some are talking about it returning, but is this official? I'd love get a pair of Leeds in this blue.[​IMG]

12. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I'm not exactly sure what the details of it are. My usual SA doesn't really know much about it other than something's in place. When I called AE this morning the representative I spoke with didn't know about the MTO shell program, but for SMU orders she said that you can change the sole, welt, insole, lining, and non-std sizing (i.e. 2E width) and that it's $40 per change, with a $110 maximum (so if you do 3+ changes it's only $110).

I'm pretty sure if the "any shoe to shell" MTO is in place though, that it's only for the standard colors (brown, black, burgundy). Rare colors, like navy, are usually reserved for the trunk shows.

13. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

14. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I wish that was four pairs, but it looks like it's four trees (two pairs). ;)

15. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

My fav trees are from the Johnston & Murphy factory store. They are buy one get one half off and work out to around $15 CAD per set, by far the best deal on trees I have found as a Canadian. They fit the shape of most my shoes amazingly (Barrie last especially), and look amazing when in with the brushed chrome knob.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.