• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something else that showed up today:

Front shows the Cavanaugh, rear shows the Cornwallis ($199).

I also got the mailer today. Its a pretty nice seconds sale, especially the Bartlett and Hopkinson (no Jefferson? first the $20 now this!). The First Ave is very tempting at $249. The Carlyle at $199 is good too, but I'm all but certain that last won't do anything for me. I wonder if the sale will be strictly limited to the shoes in the mailer, or will there be a broader sale selection. A trip to Paramus may be in my future.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you find the fit of the 1943 to be the same as the 65? I go 9E on the 65 and 800 last but 9D on the 511 last. They didn't have that in store when I went to try it on.

I wear 9D in my 5-last (and about 75% of my AEs). My Dalton in 9D is on the short side, but 9.5B was way too narrow, 9.5D had too much volume. 9D is great on the 201 First Aves/Freiburg, but had volume issues with the Rogue. I don't have anything on the 800. Recently tried the Cornwallis in 9D and it was definitely too short. 9.5 was better for length but had too much volume. I'd say if the 5-last runs shorter on you, or you drop down 1/2 and go D to E, you might consider going with your Brannock over 5-last size.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics. They look great! Would you say that the color in the pictures is close to what they look like in real life?
Yeah, the color in the picturse is very close to the actual color of the tan grain.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bucking the walnut theme today with brown saddlehorn leather Mapletons. Very comfy.

Nice looking shoe. Unfortunately it looks just like a similar (probably subpar brand) shoe a coworker of mine wears EVERY day. I like all the contrast stitching on these and the color on them. Very nice.

edit: btw Doc I always giggle a little when I see your text on Geriatrics in the background. It just stands out a little bit.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bucking the walnut theme today with brown saddlehorn leather Mapletons. Very comfy.
Nice looking shoe. Unfortunately it looks just like a similar (probably subpar brand) shoe a coworker of mine wears EVERY day. I like all the contrast stitching on these and the color on them. Very nice. edit: btw Doc I always giggle a little when I see your text on Geriatrics in the background. It just stands out a little bit.
The books are there to make me look smart. Just kidding. I used to teach geriatrics some years ago and that was the textbook for the course. Still nice to have as a reference. The Mapleton is rather casual, but well made and worth wearing to work once a month or so.

feeble

Reaction score

Yeah, I was def surprised. Especially because the color is fine everywhere else on the shoe.

I've reached out to AE, I'll see what they say. Guess I could polish it myself but I shouldn't have to.

The leather lotion hasn't taken the color off of any other AE shoes I have. Maybe I just got unlucky with the Fifth Avenues.

They sent me a return label, the customer service rep in the email told me I shouldn't use leather lotion on dress shoes like the fifth avenue, only use the leather conditioner. Which is exactly the opposite of what I was told in store.

She said they wanted to see the shoes because the lotion shouldn't cause peeling. Her words, not mine. I only said the lotion removed the color or burnishing.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They sent me a return label, the customer service rep in the email told me I shouldn't use leather lotion on dress shoes like the fifth avenue, only use the leather conditioner. Which is exactly the opposite of what I was told in store.

They aren't exactly consistent; some places it says to use leather lotion only on non-calf products, other places it says to always use a conditioner like the leather lotion if using a cleaner (like the conditioner cleaner). A bit of two minds about it. Or just bad training of the staff that writes the answers to the questions on the web site.

tkebh979

Reaction score
Exciting news!

I just called the Walnut Creek store and asked them what their "Grand Opening Specials" were. The assistant manager, Madeline was very pleasant and said it was "15% off everything for the next two weeks." When I asked her if that included SMU and MTO orders, she said she didn't know and would ask the store manager, Jay. When she got back to me she said that he confirmed that it would be 15% off everything, including SMU and MTO!

Get your shell orders in!

Back of the napkin suggests that this discount offsets the shell selection upcharge of $100-something. Further improves the price competitiveness of AE's boots vs the competition.

If I wasn't waiting on a newborn like waiting for a pot to boil, I'd be all over this. I'm long diapers, not boots, at the moment. Greater utility. Ever tried catching baby poo in a GYW shoe? I don't advise it.

Maybe I should get on GoFundMe or something... get other people to buy me boots... that's the ticket...

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Late entry for Walnut Wednesday. Madison Parks and a rather loud shirt. I won't post many of these as I only have three pair. They would quickly become repetitive. Today, it's likely to be Chili MacNeils. I need more choices.

barto78

Reaction score
As some of you may recall, i purchased a pair of AE Cordovan Strands back in March and they arrived in early April. Upon receiving them, i posted some photos of them and some imperfections i felt shouldn't have been found on a shoe that cost nearly $700. After some thought, i decided to call AE customer service and return the shoes and get them made again.
Well, after another 4 weeks, i finally received my shoes. Doreen in CS couldn't have been more helpful. She sent me photos of the new shoes before they were finished and boxed up to make sure i was happy with them. When it came time to pay for them (since my previous order was credited), she was nice enough to get me 20% off for my trouble.

Here are some photos of the shoes for those who want to see them.

Last edited:

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As some of you may recall, i purchased a pair of AE Cordovan Strands back in March and they arrived in early April. Upon receiving them, i posted some photos of them and some imperfections i felt shouldn't have been found on a shoe that cost nearly $700. After some thought, i decided to call AE customer service and return the shoes and get them made again.
Well, after another 4 weeks, i finally received my shoes. Doreen in CS couldn't have been more helpful. She sent me photos of the new shoes before they were finished and boxed up to make sure i was happy with them. When it came time to pay for them (since my previous order was credited), she was nice enough to get me 20% off for my trouble.

Here are some photos of the shoes for those who want to see them.

Those look great! Congrats on the pair and with 20% off you can't beat that!

RTD1

Reaction score
They aren't exactly consistent; some places it says to use leather lotion only on non-calf products, other places it says to always use a conditioner like the leather lotion if using a cleaner (like the conditioner cleaner). A bit of two minds about it. Or just bad training of the staff that writes the answers to the questions on the web site.

The issue really isn't about which leather lotion/conditioner/cleaner product is used. The issue is that burnishing is nothing more than applying a different color polish to a shoe using a high speed wheel. Any of the aforementioned products are capable of removing shoe polish, heck, shoe polish itself is capable of removing shoe polish because it contains a solvent carrier. Once the burnished-on polish has been removed, it's very difficult to replicate the original effect by reapplying the burnish color polish by hand.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Such an interesting pair. Looks almost like color 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads