1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. columnsofsteam

columnsofsteam Active Member

I didn't think to wait for a possible sale, but my Dark Chili Cornwallis just arrived today. I''d ordered a Fifth Avenue during the Anniversary Sale, decided I didn't love the style (since I rarely wear the brown pair I have), and figured I'd take a risk on these. I'm glad I did; the Cornwallis is quickly becoming one of my favorite AE models.

[​IMG]

Quote:
    These Cornwallis are the same size as my 65-lasted shoes. They're slightly roomier through the toe box and instep (leading to a narrower v-gap), but I tried on a half-size smaller, and it was much too tight. I'd stick with your 65-last size.

2. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

Once I again I have succumb to the siren's call of the chukka. Ordered a pair of Oxblood Dundee's from Brooks Brothers. Unfortunately, I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm seeking the opinions of the forum to confirm (or reject). Sorry about the crappy lighting.

First, both shoes were hazy. There was a chalky waxy substance on them sort of like the bloom on a pair of shell shoes. Not a big deal since I've determined I can brush/buff it off. Its almost like they sprayed on some neutral wax and forgot to polish them. Hard to capture with my cell phone, but this is it below:

[​IMG]

On to the right shoe. A couple of missed stitches, also visible on the bottom.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Overall, the finishing/burnishing seemed rushed, this part almost looks like a scuff.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Bad job on the welt. Its actually worse than in I could capture in the picture. The welt on the left shoe was near perfect.

[​IMG]

Onto the left shoe. NOT a duplicate photo (on the right they are on the inboard part of the sole, on the left the outboard), more missed stitches (actually there is a third one down at the end of the toppy).

[​IMG]

Odd crease/bulge.

[​IMG]

The next really isn't a fault, but the soles are SUPER thick. The rubber is attached totally on top (not shaved in). And I'm not sure, but it seems like there is another layer of sole just under the welt. I love me a double sole, but these may be a bit too much. Here is a comparison to the double Redenbach soles on my shell Dundee's, followed by a comparison to the double butyl on my suede Dundee's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, opinions? I'm leaning towards return. Keep in mind these are SUPPOSEDLY firsts.

3. columnsofsteam

columnsofsteam Active Member

^^^ Since they're firsts, I'd probably swap those (or check Shoebank for seconds); if they were secomds, I'd be 100% satisfied.

Something else that showed up today:
    [​IMG]

Front shows the Cavanaugh, rear shows the Cornwallis ($199).

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Those chukkas are not first quality, even for AE.

Exchange. Brooks is pretty good about that.

5. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

I think the stitching problems on the welt/sole would bother me the most especially considering they are supposed to be first quality. Unless you bought them for maybe 50% off or better, I vote return.

6. MattRiv

MattRiv Distinguished Member

Afternoon gents.

Pardon the non AE content, but I wanted to celebrate a little bit, because I think you guys will enjoy the moment with me more than my wife did. Haha

My first shell shoes:

[​IMG]

Vintage Florsheim Kenmoor LWBs in #8 shell cordovan that I paid $70 for on the bay. Original soles with light wear, right about in need of a new heel. Anyway, I buffed them up and can't believe how nice they look for what I paid. Also, the build quality is on par with AE IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2016

7. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

@ace13x

The main thing is if you're unhappy with them, I say return them. I don't think they look bad, but none of my firsts looked like that.

8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Currently deliberating purchasing 3 entirely different shoes:

1. Dark chili or brown Cornwallis
    2. Brown grain Player 2.0
    3. Brown CXL Oak Street Bootmakers Beefroll Penny Loafer

I don't NEED any of them. But then again, that's not what this thread is about.

9. naspratt

naspratt Distinguished Member

1. Yes; brown for business, chili for bidness
    2. Yes, and I'm mad they never show up on the Shoebank in my size.
    3. Not Rancourt?

10. BackInTheJox

1. As I posted earlier today, I just don't tend to wear balmorals much with my level of daily dress (chinos/button-down). But I love the Cornwallis and would find ways to work them in
    2. Yeah, I only recently saw a pair pop up in my size. Out of the 3 pairs I listed, these would probably get the most year-round wear
    3. For whatever reason I prefer the goodyear welt on the OSB to the blake stitch of the Rancourt. I agree that otherwise the shoes are pretty similar (and Rancourt is a tad less expensive).

11. BennJeff

BennJeff New Member

I assume there isn't an AE store in Raleigh because they assume they have enough retailers in the triangle area so they don't need to open up another store? I am surprised that there is an AE outlet store in Mebane. That area doesn't really have much reason for people to dress well job wise that I can tell. Certainly not like the Triangle or Charlotte.

Also if anyone out there was curious about which shoes I ended up choosing for my suit that I asked about, I went with a pair of Burgundy Cliftons from the outlet. They were on sale and the only thing that I could find wrong with them that would cause them to be seconds was the stitching on the soles to be out of the groove in some places but I don't think it will be anything to cause an issue. All the Park Avenues and such that I tried on had flaws that were just too noticeable for my liking.

12. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior Member

Damn. I really like those. And that dark chili on them is very nice. The DC I have are more dark red. I may have a new target on my hands...

13. RichieP

RichieP Senior Member

Are those model # 54545S (brown/blue) on the Shoebank? I've spotted these in my size but they look much more grain-ey in your pics than on the website.

Last edited: May 11, 2016

14. BackInTheJox

Yes, that's them. The leather is a very soft, supple grain/pebbles leather. The lighting in my pics does seem to overemphasize the texture, but it's not too far off real life.

15. Gabru

Gabru Senior Member

Thanks I talked to jay after seeing this post and asked about a fifth street boot in brown cordovan on double leather sole.
    He is gonna look into the possibility of doing this and let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.