Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

The barn weasle answer is recraft your pair AND buy the seconds.

The question really is down to this: can you get more than $62 + fees + effort for your original pair? But if you go that route you also remember you may get a seconds pair that you don't like.

2. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

4th option: send to B. Nelson for $115 resoling. You're gambling a $10 restock fee with the seconds. Even if they do work out and you sell your current pair, I'm not sure you'd net more than $40 after fees and shipping. So, best case scenario there is $137 - $40 = $97. Not to sound haughty but saving $18 wouldn't be worth the hassle to me.

Last edited: May 11, 2016

3. Southwick

Southwick Senior member

How new are these shoes? I ask because this could either be ordinary wear and tear or a manufacturing defect. They look relatively new. The only thing I like more than AE shoes is AE customer service and the way they stand behind the product. It might be worth contacting them. They might want pictures, and they might want you to send the shoes in for examination. I have so much confidence in this company that I'd suggest you contact them.

4. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

I noticed someone commenting how Bob's chili is now Dark chili for the Carlyle. Are these two colors the same?

5. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Thanks for posting the pics. They look great! Would you say that the color in the pictures is close to what they look like in real life?

6. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the thought process behind opening a full line store as oppose to a shoe bank. DC got 3 full line stores in the past year, but I never hear about plans for a shoe bank in the area.

I would think salary in the area would dictate, in which case I don't see DC or the Bay Area getting a shoe bank in the near future. :(

7. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

I'm going to get my Burgundy Dundees recrafted. I'm worried that they may not fix the holes in the lining where my heel is. It appears to have worn through over time. I've had them for 18 months or so. Also, I'd like to change the sole from black to something else, possibly chili. Thoughts?

8. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Exciting news!

I just called the Walnut Creek store and asked them what their "Grand Opening Specials" were. The assistant manager, Madeline was very pleasant and said it was "15% off everything for the next two weeks." When I asked her if that included SMU and MTO orders, she said she didn't know and would ask the store manager, Jay. When she got back to me she said that he confirmed that it would be 15% off everything, including SMU and MTO!

Get your shell orders in!

9. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Honestly I'm surprised the Bay Area can support four physical stores. Tech (my field) isn't exactly known for or caring much about dressing well.

OTOH, the areas where all the stores are make sense, two in the SF financial district, Walnut Creek has a lot of financial and insurance business, and Stanford is in the VC hub/really really expensive area. I'm still surprised there's enough volume though.

10. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

Haha, I'm in tech too and the only guy in my group that cares about shoes has 3 kids and is only allowed his pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers.

While I was out in Palo Alto all I had were my square, bicycle toe Eccos. I didn't know better back then.

11. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I don't know why there isn't an AE in the Raleigh area.

As far as Bay Area - with an Alden store and places like Union Made, it seems like there is a good volume to support higher-quality footwear...

12. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Its been a minute since I perused the 'bank. No indication of sales, but noticed a few interesting prices that seem different from before. From my size of 9D:
    $57 Brown Kirkwood
    $127 Long Branch
    $197 Charles Street (Cornwallis made for Harry Rosen)
    $147 Delray in black and bourbon (never seen this color combo before)

I also hadn't noticed the some of the spring shoes like the suede-ish Maritimes, Sea Island, Cheetah, etc.

I'm not jumping up and down for any of these, though I have a pair of red Kirks ($77) that have yet to be worn. I've been reluctant to wear them, as the color is a little brighter than I expected and I have yet to attempt to darken them to a chili or oxblood. Has me wondering if I'd rather have a second dark brown pair instead, to keep one as a beater/sockless shoe - which was the intention with the red all along... for $10 cheaper (when you account for the $10 restocking fee).

13. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I like that chili in the Cornwallis (especially if you can save yourself an additional $100). Do you find the fit of the 1943 to be the same as the 65? I go 9E on the 65 and 800 last but 9D on the 511 last. They didn't have that in store when I went to try it on.

14. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

@M635Guy
    I wore my olive shannon drives today.
    [​IMG]

15. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Same advice from me, but ALSO, if you bought them with a credit card, don't forget some cards will cover replacement cost on something like this. That also applies to shoes bought at certain retailers (like Nordstrom) that have generous return policies. My guess is that AE will take care of you, but a couple of things you could look into in case you strike out with AE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.