Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@MattRiv , yes these have had a little bit of extra attention. With MTO dead, my goal is to slowly build to a bourbon color with a heavily burnished toe, but a chili welt (rather than black). I have had great luck with Bick 4 conditioner and Meltonian polish. The navy color looks amazing on the toe of walnut shoes! I actually think the Daltons are slightly darker/richer than the pics from yesterday.

If it helps, this was a post from the "old" AE thread about working over my Daltons and 1st Aves:
    Thanks for the replies to this. I realized after posting this, that I had done plenty of research and just need to jump in and give it a shot.

I'll skip the minor details like number of coats, wait time, brushing, polishing, edge dressing, etc....
    Daltons got treated with Bick 4, then coats of AE bourbon polish everywhere, followed by lighter coats of navy on the toe and heel.
    First Aves got Bick 4, coats of cognac everywhere, brown and then navy on toe and heel.

I am very happy with both! The Daltons developed a deeper color and will only get better with future treatments. (My goal is an almost bourbon Dalton, with a chili edge, minus the need to sand black edges.)
    The First Aves developed a rich honey color that, IMO, will allow them to be worn more formally than with walnut.

Here are the Daltons. First Aves maybe on Monday. Happy Friday, everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I think the token answer from this board is "buy more shoes," regardless of the question. In your case, I think it comes down to:
    Are you a regular price (minus $50) purchaser? Do you have a respectable cobbler in mind? How are the uppers of the current McT's? Do you have relationship with a SA that could give you an idea of the flaws of the pair on the shoebank?

3. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

I usually don't buy at full price.
    Only one cobbler in town that I know, mixed reviews.
    Uppers seem to be good, they are about 2 years old and get worn once or twice a week.
    I don't have a relationship with a SA that I know of!

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@rpearlbergWhat color is yours and what is available?

5. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Dark Brown/Cognac is what I have and what is available.

6. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

I might eventually warm up to the cap toe. I actually like the look of the Strands a bit. But now it sounds like the 65 last is probably not in my best interest. You'd never guess by looking at my pics of the Carlyle, but it's actually very roomy inside, especially in the toe area. I definitely don't want to change the size for the sake of the V closing.

7. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

Happy Walnut Wednesday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. shades9323

shades9323 Senior member

Lacing inspired by Peppercorn's blue suede shoes!
    [​IMG]

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

:cheers:

10. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

What are the thread's thoughts on the Kenwood loafer? I never looked closely at them, because so many of them were made of bonded leather, but the shoebank currently as a burgundy cordovan pair for $300 and a tan saddle pair for $200. My only loafers are dark brown McGraws. Would you recommend either pair, or would you advise getting, say, a Grayson before a second pair of penny loafers?

11. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

I tried the $297 Kenwoods but had to return them due to odd fitment and excessive bowing. For $297, they are a steal if they fit you well.

12. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I have the BB Kenwoods in brown (just got them yesterday wearing today). They have been extremely comfortable. Definitely the most comfortable pair of AE shoes I own though I'm not sure its fair to compare them against laceups for comfort.

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I have the brown pebbled/grain version for Brooks Brothers and I really like them. They are 9D and I'm a 9E. They were a little snug up front at first, but they have relaxed a bit and fit very well. I've acquired quite a few loafers over the past two years ( 2 X OSB pairs and eyeing up a third, RL/AE Singletons, BB/AE Kenwood, Rancourt shell pinch penny x 2, Sperry Gold Cup penny). That doesn't even include my boat shoes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  14. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Sounds like a terrific collection! I love loafers, but stopped buying them when I started working in a business formal office. I usually wear my McGraws on the weekends, with sportcoats or nice sweaters. One reason I would be interested in a cordovan or tan saddle pair is to have a more-casual pair to wear with jeans and khaki chinos. Unfortunately, I wear too large of a size to avail myself of the Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren models that Allen Edmonds manufactures.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Gotcha. My daily attire is basically chinos and a button-down shirt (+/- my white coat if I feel like it). I own one AE balmoral shoe (walnut Cornwallis) and then have a pair of Johnston & Murphy Meltons (cap toe bal similar to AE PAs) in black and burgundy. With how infrequently I ever wear balmorals, this has been plenty. Most of my extensive shoe collection is bluchers (heavy on the wing tips) and loafers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.