1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

Yes. I dyed these to look more like the cognac.

2. Moose22

Moose22 Senior Member

This all happened back in November when:

1. The information on this last was that it was like the 333, which fits me wonderfully in a bal
    b. ANY other shoe that fit the price range was either a wildly different style (overlord/warwick) or a different last I've never worn.
    also. The only problem I had originally was a badly made shoe. Not any of the other issues.

What else am I supposed to do? I'm totally not looking for a distressed casual shoe at the moment, and I've never worn a monk strap in my life.

At this point, it's spent money to me and, theoretically, a bargain price for shoes. Literally half price on retail. Since I paid $100 more for a pair of Larchmonts in between, getting a $195 pair of firsts seemed like it's totally worth the shot.

If AE can't get out of their own way to mail me shoes for 2 months, it really doesn't matter. That's their problem. I'll wear different shoes until I get some good ones.

At this point, I'm just going to talk to Melissa about other options. Fill a different wardrobe hole. Maybe I can give them more money and get a Merlot Jefferson for $100 off or something. Those are some pimp ass shoes.

3. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior Member

Wearing the McT's around the house in preparation for tomorrow. I have to say, these are the most comfortable out-of-the-box leather sole I've gotten yet. I was told to expect 20-30 wears to get a good break-in, but I don't think that will be the case with these.

4. Moose22

Moose22 Senior Member

I think they might be. Just in the toes. But from the balls of the feet back they're the same or smaller.

Totally based on ONE pair of shoes and my messed up shaped feet, but I think you're both right. Just seeing it slightly differently.

5. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

I may be in the minority (or not), or perhaps its my personal taste, but to me neither of these examples are properly fitted. I sympathize because the 65 is not my best last either, though I can get by.

The 11E that texas9 showed in his video is much better (in fact seem to be a freakishly good V-gap improvement), but I would be worried about the looseness in the heel.

The bowing that StylinProfilin may be due to flexing his foot back but its a little disconcerting. The V-Gap, is just not right.

I think in both cases above (and in my case also) the Bartlett (201 Last) would probably be a MUCH better fit. Its made for a higher instep, and has a slightly wider forefoot (according to AE). AND, the SA should have shown both of you that model once he/she saw that fit.

I also had an SA tell me that v-gap closure is a non-issue. A young SA which I hadn't seen before, he seemed quite uninformed. The SA who sold my first AE's had just left the store as I walked in. She was excellent.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mreams99 [​IMG]

All of the talk in the last few days about the variation in McTavish colors got me to thinking about wearing mine. Where do these fall in the continuum?
    [​IMG]

I realize its a different shoe, but the above by mreams99 is what I consider a very good v-gap. Then again, it seems the McTavish is more forgiving on that front. For my personal tastes I'm fine with 1/2 inch or even a touch more (9/16), but a full inch is WAY too much.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016

6. mreams99

^ I agree with that also (and not because my shoes were considered a good fit example).

7. cc808314

cc808314 Senior Member

Do you have flat feet?

8. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

Quote:
    Agree
    Quote:You did a pretty good job! Certainly presents pretty close to cognac, but a little more tan/orange.

9. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

@Moose22 You know we're high arch buddies right? I get where you're coming from, not trying to give you a hard time. This might sound really weird, but did you consider the Michael carter and trying to darken the green eyelet?

10. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Senior Member

Originally Posted by cc808314 [​IMG]

Do you have flat feet?

I do not.

11. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

Flat feet? With that gap more like anti-flat feet.

12. mreams99

This may seem like a strange question:
    Is there a shoe like the Strand, but without the toe medallion? I swore I saw something like that a while back.

13. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Senior Member

Are you saying that the 65 last just simply isn't a good fit for me and the 201 might be a better match or should I try to move to a different size and if so, what would that be from my current 8EEE.

14. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

I'd say mine are well ahead of that schedule. My first two pairs were both were very comfortable out of the box and have only been getting better. My latest pair actually feels even more tailored to my foot, but the leather feels a little thicker and thus will need a little more break-in. I'm pretty sure all of them are going to be excellent comfort-wise

All three of my McT's have decent closure - the most recent cognac pair (the "tan cognacs") are probably the best. My other 5-last shoe, the Rush Street, has a pretty extreme V that isn't much improved by going to either a 11.5 E or a 11 EE (and the foot position is very wrong in the 11 EE). I guess I have a really high instep, but it is pretty apparent to me that the cap-toe design in the 5-last isn't going to give folks like me tight closure in the balmoral styles.

On a strange side-note, my Woodlore Epic trees that fit my tan and cognac McT's don't seem to want to fit inside the "tan cognac" pair...

15. cc808314

cc808314 Senior Member

I only very briefly tried the Cornwallis and I don't think the 1943 is at all similar to 65. Compared to 65, it's not as long, it has much less volume in the toe/vamp area, and the middle section (underneath the arch) of the shoe is slightly wider. I need to play with it more, but I think people with flat, low instep, low arch, and low volume feet may like it. I am in this group and 65 just doesn't work in any size, unless I start playing with insoles, pads, etc. On the contrary, the Cornwallis felt pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.