Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

Merlot McAllisters from ebay for tonight's Uber adventures in DC.....

[​IMG]

2. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

[​IMG]

Maiden voyage of strandmok 2.0s and seersucker for derby Saturday. I had to size down on the new last.

3. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

This is something I hear a lot and I think it's interesting. A lot of my guy friends I know hate the split toe look. Some claim it's an "old man" style, or conservative. To me, the split toe and mock toe look is very balanced-looking design that just fits my personality. As I said before, I'm not a big fan of the cap toe. So I guess you go to your church and I'll go to mine, but I always wonder why some people are drawn to certain designs.

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    A would like to get opinions on the modifications to this plain toe blucher. They are the same shoe, but the second one has added brass eyelets and had the edge dressing modified to antique. Yea or nay? I personally really like it, but I am known for poor judgement on occasion, just ask my wife.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Wow I like those. Does someone offer this service?

6. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Nice, any idea when Nords will be selling these?

7. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

This is tough. I know some frown on the contrast welt/edging, but personally I like it, and I'm a big fan of exposed eyelet. But on this shoe, I think that I would opt for the top one. Or possibly the top with the brass only. Its just more of what a classic PTB represents to me. On the other hand, if its in suede? Hubby-hubba.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2016

8. feeble

feeble Active Member

That Blucher mod is beautiful. Is that a MTO thing or did you see it available somewhere?

9. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

[​IMG]

10. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

The primary reason for me going to E on the 65 is my instep. But it seems to me that would be less of an issue with a boot vs with a shoe. My ankles are pretty normal, so I'm not all that worried about the shaft, nor the bottom either, just some crazy spread in the middle. Do own the Fifth St?

11. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

I also never cared for Split toe designs initially when I started with AE shoes, but gradually I started finding them more and more interesting. I regret missing out on Portland boots which was beautiful combo of split toe and sleek last. Here is an example where Split toe looks beautiful (at least to me)..

Non AE content

[​IMG]

IMO, It depends on whether the shoe is intended for more formal or casual use. First one is more formal than the second one.
    But antique edge and eyelets makes the shoe very interesting. For business casual use, I go with the antique edge but skip the brass eyelets.

12. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

I do; here's some comparison pics, all 65 last in the same size:

Fifth Street
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shell Strand
    [​IMG]
    Strawfut
    [​IMG]
    Calf Strand
    [​IMG]
    Jefferson (original)
    [​IMG]

The Fifth Streets come closer together beneath the trousers. But now that I look, I almost wish I'd gone up a width.

13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

The Fifth Streets come closer together beneath the trousers. But now that I look, I almost wish I'd gone up a width.

First, those Fifth Streets are absolutely BALLIN'.

I think your pics have convinced me to stick with the E width. Not only is it the safer choice, deep down I knew that would the better option. Shame, there is a nice pair of shell Fifth St. on the bay. On the other hand, I now feel like I've magically freed up money for another pair of Dundees. Boy, do I have a problem.

14. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Thanks! If MTO hadn't gone away I'd have at least one more pair.

Honestly, the only reason I haven't gone to a 10.5 E is heel slip. I have little heels and ankles that need to be hugged tightly, and a C works best on them but then my instep screams at me and the laces won't even think about closing.

15. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    This is an aftermarket modification option That can be checked out here. The eyelets and edge dressing can be obtained individually. They describe this as Adlen customization and I do not know their policy on other brands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.