Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

To me, your color looks like the Dark Chili McAllister I posted yesterday as a comparison to my cognac. A bit more orange and brighter than 4045.

2. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

These just in from the bank. Replaced my too big Park Avenues with Hopkinsons. The flaw is the slightly misaligned AE stamp on the bottom. Same flaw on the brown first aves, both steals IMO. The Hops also have a tiny nick on the sole but that could happen in a walk between meetings.

The first aves may have a tiny bit of misalignment in the right toe cap but nothing that seriously bothers me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  3. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Hmmmm... As 4035's, those are Tan McT's, but they certainly present as Cognac to me, especially with the darker welt and sole. How long have you had them, and what products are you using on them?

My Cognacs are marked on the tongue, but my tans on the inside of the heel wall of the right shoe.

4. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

These are still "low mileage" shoes.
    I think that the main thing that darkened them was probably the leather dyes.

5. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

They're like shoes, but you don't have to tie them!

I would assume they follow the same dress code rules as lace-up shoes - the sleeker/less adorned they are, the dressier they are. So something like the Steen or Randolph, you could wear with a business suit, or whatever you would wear an apron-toe or split toe shoe with. Whereas handsewn loafs are more casual and better for jeans and chinos and shorts, a more refined substitute for a blucher-moc or boat shoe. Especially in a rougher leather, like CXL or kudu.

6. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

A slightly misaligned stamp on the sole is a flaw? I need to rethink the Shoebank! Those look amazing.

7. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Thanks!!! It's literally the only thing I can find wrong with the shoe.

8. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

I put some extra padding in my First Aves, they feel much more snug now. I'm baffled at how much bigger they feel than my Freiburgs on the same last at the same size.

I can't wait for the weather to get nicer. I was iffy on my Larchmonts at first, but the more I look at them, the more I really wanna take them for a nice stroll down in the village.

I'm also really eager to find out the details of the new austerity brogue. I was just about ready to order a custom from Rancourt when Mr. Grangaard mentioned them in his last Reddit AMA. It's the one style I've been wanting most since I started getting into shoes, but there are pretty much none made in the US.

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

10. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Did an SA fit you with that? Glad to see the training has improved....[​IMG]

Did you ever try an 8.5E or 9D?

11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I hate to say it but I totally didn't get the point of ordering something on a last unknown to you, and a balmoral to top it off when you had so many issues to start with - balsy, but kind of silly.

You're kind of limiting yourself with those choices you mentioned in your earlier thread - have you ever tried an Adams? Sleek and comfortable, works well for my high arches.

12. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Sorry man. Can't say I'm surprised, but was hoping it could work out for you. If the toebox isn't the biggest limitation for you, going up a half or full size could work. For me, I had to go up a width and half a size, and it still didn't work.

Agreed - I see no relation between the 1943 and the 333. If be curious to know how many people like the 1943 vs don't - there are some nice shoes on the last, but the fit is baffling to me.

13. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

That is confusing to me - as stated before, I found the 1943 smaller in all aspects compared to the 65, which was already pretty small. Where is the extra roominess for you?

I'm beginning to suspect the 1943 lasts are labelled randomly ....

14. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

I said a couple of months ago...that the shortened, blunted toe of the Cornwallis carried it past the point of just being sleek, into the territory of looking flat out dainty. While I think the 1943 is a beautiful last in general, as chisel toes go, I prefer the longer, and less curvy 333 last both aesthetically and fit wise.

15. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I felt that the forefoot was roomier than the 65 last. Otherwise, I thought they were similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.