• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

I've seen some pop up on the Shoebank and likewise thought they were gone before.

Perhaps one of you knows the answer to this: while reading saddle shoe reviews on the AE site, someone mentioned "Bobby socks." Well, I thought girls wore those and a quick google image search confirmed that. And sure enough, in many vintage photos, the young ladies were wearing black and white saddle shoes as well.

So, how exactly did saddle shoes transform from 1950's high school girl fashion to something men are wearing from AE? :crazy:

I wore various combos of the saddle style several times during my 20's and 30's, though admittedly not AE. I'd love to have a pair of those maroon ones now, but they don't have my size. I still might spring for the walnut. Either pair is perfect for jeans.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just asked a question about Merlot vs Oxblood shoes, but the other pair on the Shoe Bank in my size that is tempting me right now is the Khaki McTavish. I am one of those who likes to match my belt to my shoes. Phil from the Brookfield outlet mentioned the Cottonwood belt, but he didn't say what color. It looks like there is a tan version, but can't tell from the online pictures how well it will match. I would LOVE something in the same leather, but I guess that's not going to happen. What belt do those of you with the same shoes wear to match?

And good news! My Bourbon Fifth Avenues that I jacked up are waiting for me at home after a long day at work. I was told they were submitted to the recrafting department on April 28th. That was super fast. If I don't get to see my kids tonight (which I don't), at least I have that going for me!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go for Red Wing Beckman over AE Sturgis, if I was you. They frequently go for ~$150 on the bay.

The Beckman's also show up on Sierra Trading Post for $200 (factory seconds), but I'm pretty sure I've seen them on that site for ~$150 around the holidays.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's super casual Friday and post Cinco De Mayo. If you are hung over, what is more causal than sandals? Yes, AE made some of them as well. Behold the Sorrento for your pool party needs.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that my Fifth Avenues are back, I am able to submit a photo of my small, but growing, family. I believe they did lighten up the Fifth Avenues per my request. In the photo they look rather similar to the Walnut pair. Unfortunately, however, they also either sent me a new box or they covered up the old sticker on the outside with one that has my name on it.
confused.gif

Aside from exercising more caution when wiping the shoes down, does anyone have care tips that will help me avoid removing the burnishing from both the Bourbon and Walnut pairs? I'd feel awfully silly (nay, foolish) if I were to do it again. I have the AE Premium Leather Conditioner. Is that safe to use on burnished shoes?

RTD1

Reaction score
Aside from exercising more caution when wiping the shoes down, does anyone have care tips that will help me avoid removing the burnishing from both the Bourbon and Walnut pairs? I'd feel awfully silly (nay, foolish) if I were to do it again. I have the AE Premium Leather Conditioner. Is that safe to use on burnished shoes?

No idea on the "Premium Leather Conditioner".

But stay away from the "Conditioner Cleaner" ( http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/s...aner/SF570.html?dwvar_SF570_color=649#start=4 ). This is the stuff that stripped the burnishing right off my Bourbon Aschers.

As for polish, I haven't seen anything that really matches. The Bourbon Premium shoe polish is more reddish, almost like Dark Chili. Some people have had luck with the Walnut in this line, but that seems light to me and might cover or strip the burnishing over time. The Light Brown Shoe Cream is really Orange. Personally, I wouldn't use anything other than the Neutral carnauba shoe polish on Bourbon.

IMO, there's a reason why they discontinued Bourbon. While it could be a very nice color, the way they achieved it (black burnishing on top of walnut) made it inconsistent from the factory and impossible for the owner to maintain over time. There's a real need for AE to come out with some sort of solid medium brown to sit between walnut and their standard brown which is very dark.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a real need for AE to come out with some sort of solid medium brown to sit between walnut and their standard brown which is very dark.

I agree. I have an old pair of Lasalles that I bought gently used on ebay in 2012, in their standard brown - and it is significantly lighter than the current "brown burnished" (or whatever) color they offer. The current brown is too dark for my liking in most offerings, and the color of my Lasalles is perfect.

I don't really understand what's so difficult when it comes to a medium brown leather shoe.

Here's a pic of the brown Lasalles (on the right) next to a pair of brand new (at the time) Delrays in the "updated" brown color.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go for Red Wing Beckman over AE Sturgis, if I was you. They frequently go for ~$150 on the bay.

All,

Does navy suede Cavanaugh come with brown or black sole edges? The pictures show brown, but for some reason I remember someone on this forum mentioned a while back that they were black.

@Neo1 , would you say that length on the 114 is the same as 606?

Thanks everyone in advance!
Did you wind up picking up the Beckman? Agree with your comment about it btw. Nothing against the Sturgis, just not the same.

Not easy to compare the 606 & 114, but if memory serves, didn't you say you got the Concord? It's similar to that, a little bigger but not much.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now that my Fifth Avenues are back, I am able to submit a photo of my small, but growing, family. I believe they did lighten up the Fifth Avenues per my request. In the photo they look rather similar to the Walnut pair. Unfortunately, however, they also either sent me a new box or they covered up the old sticker on the outside with one that has my name on it. :confused:
They did the same to me. Wish they'd put it on the reverse side.
I have an old pair of Lasalles that I bought gently used on ebay in 2012, in their standard brown - and it is significantly lighter than the current "brown burnished" (or whatever) color they offer. The current brown is too dark for my liking in most offerings, and the color of my Lasalles is perfect.
I don't really understand what's so difficult when it comes to a medium brown leather shoe. Here's a pic of the brown Lasalles (on the right) next to a pair of brand new (at the time) Delrays in the "updated" brown color.
May just be the screen, but that looks pretty close to chili, with a slight reddish tone. Also, their brown shell isn't too dark and may suit your needs well :devil:

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May just be the screen, but that looks pretty close to chili, with a slight reddish tone. Also, their brown shell isn't too dark and may suit your needs well
devil.gif

It's crummy lighting, but there's really not much of a reddish hue to the Lasalles. I'll see if I can take a photo of them with my (old original color) chili Delrays and a pair of new dark chili Madison Parks for comparison. I have since sold the dark brown Delrays.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chili Bradleys today. Check out how thick that sole is... Does it look like a JR sole to you gents? I got them from eBay.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I have an old pair of Lasalles that I bought gently used on ebay in 2012, in their standard brown - and it is significantly lighter than the current "brown burnished" (or whatever) color they offer. The current brown is too dark for my liking in most offerings, and the color of my Lasalles is perfect.

I don't really understand what's so difficult when it comes to a medium brown leather shoe.

Here's a pic of the brown Lasalles (on the right) next to a pair of brand new (at the time) Delrays in the "updated" brown color.

They use to offer a nice brown color called Brown Antibes I believe. I have some PAs in this color and it is my favorite brown. I agree current brown is far too dark and I find myself preferring chili or bourbon.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So ever since I wanted to update my photo game and take pictures in the sun, mother nature just laughed at me. Been overcast most of the week. MacNeil 2.0 brown grain. I think someone was asking about sizing on this earlier. I'm extremely lucky to be a 9d in 99.9% of the AE shoes I've tried. Cavanaugh in calf the only exception

Middlife

Reaction score
Is there an affordable option for a sleek chocolate suede loafer that comes with width options for someone with a wide foot (Doesn't have to be AE)? The Cavanaugh is not quite doing it for me. I've stumbled across pictures of the Melrose and I would love to have something similar to that.

il_570xN.459822653_952z.jpg

il_570xN.459820413_d7ml.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads