1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

Do they offer merlot for casual shoes? I was told by local SA that it's casuals going on sale for Father's Day....

2. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Ah sharp eyes. The navy tassels are Graysons indeed while the brogue suede tassels with braided cord is the Lakeshore Drive.

3. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

It looks like the McAllister, Park Ave, Randolph, Maxfield, Fifth Ave, and Strand.

4. armedferret

oh nice. do we know discount range yet? sorry if it's been posted, i've been laid up and heavily medicated all weekend. i don't really remember much of what i've said or seen the last few days.

5. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

$245, $175 for Maxfield. @ZheNewYork thanks for the info on this a few pages back.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. armedferret

7. thera

thera Member

Here's actually another pic by RTD1 that compares them side by side:
    [​IMG]

Though I think it's a little oxblood-centric :)
    It really highlights the color of that one, and the dark chili's stuck in the background, looking quite brown.

In real life, I find them to be really versatile, with just the right touch of dark red accents.
    They were the overall best shoe & color in calf by AE IMO for a while, and maybe still are.

Oxblood may have taken that spot, though I haven't seen it in person yet, will do so this month when I'll be down south.

8. robster35

robster35 Senior member

has anyone bought seconds that one shoe was slightly lighter than the other and were u able to polish it or condition it to match the other? found a pair of strands at a deal but they have this issue

9. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Damnit, I know too lol

Edit: saw someone got them above, good job and love both models.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  10. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

The Merlots are for formal stuff. But boat shoes and suede offerings will be on sale as well. I'd have to check the mag for the exact models and prices. But good deals on maritime if I remember if that suits your fancy.

11. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

There's a Merlot strand for $245? It makes me second-guess my order of oxblood strands for $275, which I haven't yet received and which possibly haven't even been built yet.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Navy McAllisters today with Gustin taupe denim.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I'm definitely interested in boat shoes and suede. If anyone has details please share :)

14. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

I think both colors could have a place in your rotation. Not to say one fills a void the other wouldn't but I like both quite a bit. I have the oxblood myself but merlot in the Mcallister. Going to potentially order the merlot strand during the sale.

15. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Anyone looking for the Cornwallis in 10.5D chili? I am goin to return mine. Gonna give all first dibs since sale is off. PM me.

16. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Stop posting these!(kidding, sorta) I wish this was something still offered because they are great looking.

They definitely can have a place in the rotation. The merlot McAllister is a nice somewhat more formalish look while the oxblood has a more pop/red going on. I wasn't aware they made the Strand in merlot but if they do I don't think you can really go wrong as both colors look good. It doesn't really make sense to me that merlot Strands would hit the market at $245 after having just put all other strands on sale for $275.

17. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

Merlot isn't a standard color in which the Strand is offered. I think it's exclusive to the upcoming sale. Sort of like how Dark Chili is exclusive to Strands from Nordstroms. I've come to the realization that I'll eventually own Strands in every color except black (currently have Dark Chili and Oxblood, with Walnut arriving tomorrow). It's just such an incredibly versatile shoe.

As for pricing, someone else mentioned earlier in this thread about not ever paying full price on AE. I tend to agree. I'm up to 9 now, all new firsts, and didn't pay full price for any of them. Paying $395 for a pair of AEs is like going into JAB on one of the rare days they don't have a Buy 1 Get 3 Free sale and buying one suit at list.

1 person likes this.
  18. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I agree with never paying full price for firsts from AE, there is always a sale around the corner. What is surprising is the offer of even cheaper strands almost immediately after having a 30% off sale on them even in the midnight navy color. Dark Chili is exclusive to nordstroms but it is an available color where merlot is not an exclusive to anyone. If it is a sale time offer only then it would seem to be like midnight blue except in a more available leather color. I also agree I eventually want strands in every color except black (perhaps 1 or two barlett instead but same look). Also want a shell strand in brown. It is my favorite AE shoe and I currently own 0. I have ordered the midnight navy ones, hopefully they turn out as good as the pictures. Otherwise I will exchange for walnut.

19. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

This is just my personal opinion, and I mean no offense to anyone, but I just can't imagine wearing navy Strands with anything in a business environment and I struggle to envision wearing them casually. On the bright side, I suppose they are slightly more versatile than the red, white, and blue webgems someone posted, which I can't envision being worn in any other context than a parade on the 4th of July.

20. M2511

M2511 Senior member

It will certainly depend on how dark or light the shoe turns out. I can wear them in my business environment but I imagine for others it will be more difficult. The pictures which maybe turn out different in real life seem to go with kahki, navy, or grey depending on your style. I probably won't wear them with jeans but who knows. I would say they have the potential to be considerably more versatile than the red, white and blue webgems that I agree seemingly only make sense on patriotic holidays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.