1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Sad but true, let's see in 6 weeks or so.

2. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Did you go through a store or Allison?

1 person likes this.
  3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Misaligned blucher eyelets are long-documented. They're pretty much a feature, not bug, at this point.

4. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

I talked to the SA at the Chicago store that I bought the shoes from. She was really awesome with her service.

5. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

cost?

6. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Well-Known Member

This reminds me of my most recent firsts purchase--a pair of Dundees. The lacing eyelets were misaligned on both boots. I sent a picture to the CAC SA I ordered them from and she replied with an apology that they weren't up to MY standards. I returned them to my local AE and store and was told they were handmade and that defects like that should be accepted. I declined the offer to order a replacement pair.

This makes me doubt that there's a big difference between firsts and seconds. Or at least that the two groups have a large area of overlap. Yes, I've received some really bad seconds. But I've also received seconds on which I could find no flaw. But like seconds, firsts are a crapshoot too.

7. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

[​IMG]

^^^^
    If your room full of Harvard MBA's tell you things are trending more casual, why do you eliminate this model?

If you are going to offer proper dress shoes, then make them properly. This less piping, more Poron trend just makes it easier to bail to another brand for traditional dress shoes. I do like the 201 last though.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    2 people like this.
  8. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

Outdoor "summer" wedding called for some walnut Strands.

2 people like this.
  9. HoldenMI

I agree with that. Despite my recent gripes about quality on certain pairs, I will continue to purchase because they are largely made in the U.S. Should I blame the DR production facility that sews the uppers? I don't know...they are still a good value, especially when they're on sale.

10. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

$650 plus $110

11. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

You don't? Amateur hour!! ;)

Local B&M. Ordering off the bank, just wanted to make sure size was on. Moras in bourbon.

12. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

I would order in a heartbeat- is there supposedly one coming out?

13. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

I don't fully buy the cost reduction to stay competitive theory that corporate America has been feeding the general public for a good while now. Of course, if you shift your target demographic to the Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and Macy's crowds, which AE has done, and your goal is to put every men walking the face of the earth into a pair of walnut Strand, things will need to change. Today, AE is available at 30-40% discount year round, and they are clearly not competing with Alden or the lower- tier European manufacturers, but instead, Cole Haan and J & M. The person that is ready to pay $400 per pair, is very descerning when it comes down to quality, style, and value in general. After all, Alden and European manufacturers have done OK making higher end shoes, because they have stayed tuned to the needs of their core customer base. Just my 2 cents.

1 person likes this.
  14. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Coming soon, very soon, from what I was told.

15. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Nice, thanks for the heads up- I'll hold off on buying the Warwicks I was looking at, in that case.

Also, in regards to the original question- I would wear them all the time between Memorial Day and Labor Day. My Jingle Bell Moks were worn around 2-3 times a week between Thanksgiving and New Years (a couple days per week at work, and Christmas parties on the weekends)- I imagine a patriotic shoe would be the summer version of the JBM for me.

16. delmar

delmar Senior member

I have a pair of the red, white, and blue web-gems from a few years ago. I wear them when I go to vote and on Veterans Day too.

2 people like this.
  17. FinanceIS

FinanceIS Member

So it looks like merlot shoes will be on sale for a good price.

Is this color more of a red? or a burgundy? or reddish brown? I'm not sure how to perceive the color. Would appreciate if someone could show off some of their merlot's.

I need wingtips bad, and heart has been set on walnut Mc Allisters, just waiting to catch a pair for cheap.. So buying a merlot pair of Mc Allisters will be a win-lose of sorts.. Is this color too informal for Park Aves?

18. HoldenMI

I have merlot in the PAs and find it very useful. I wear it with charcoal and medium gray suits, and occasionally navy or brown suits as well (usually wear dark chili with the latter two). It's darker than oxblood and would consider it burgundy, maybe with a slight tinge of dark red. Like many colors, it can vary greatly depending on the lighting, so description and pictures are relative. I would describe dark chili as reddish brown and think of AE's merlot as much closer to burgundy.

19. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Yea as
    That's been my one question I never see answered clearly. Are all uppers in DR, and if so where can I see that? I thought that might be the case, but I don't see it explicitly anywhere aside from wikipedia, and the source there doesn't have a clear reference to them being made there. PG never answers that question when presented, so all I go off is the factory tour, where we see uppers being made in WI.

20. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.