Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naspratt

naspratt Distinguished Member

2. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior Member

I own this... close enough to wear, but looking for something better.

3. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior Member

Thanks, will check it out... I went by a few stores in the mall, so far not much.

4. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior Member

Songmics also makes a version of the twin tube. They go for $20 each frequently (or if you wear size 6-7 they're always $20).

5. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Distinguished Member

May I offer a dissenting view? I don't think there IS such a shoe and you should accept that and plan accordingly. A dark charcoal suit and jeans are simply so far apart on the formality scale that any attempt to connect them is simply a bridge too far. This is a Venn diagram where the circles don't overlap.

A dark charcoal ("Is there any other kind, Lt. Caffey?") suit is a staple but conservative and any shoe lighter than the trousers will improperly draw attention to itself. You are correct that something in black would be "classic" and "obvious." Why do you think that is? Because it works with a conservative charcoal business suit when so many other things won't. The only decent, but not perfect, substitutes would be a dark brown or burg.

However, even if something like a chili were deemed good enough, pairing any sort of stitch cap (e.g. PA) or punch cap (e.g. FA) with any sort of jeans is just wrong. I think it is too incongruent.

If you already have the suit - and it sounds as if you do - and if you are already wearing it for work - and it sounds like you are - with what do you currently pair it? If it is something you look forward to retiring for whatever reason, I think getting a proper suit shoe should take precedent over trying to find a dress shoe to go with jeans. After selecting your suit shoe, then start saving for something to wear with nicer jeans. Don't try finding something to do both well because I don't think anything can.

If your dilemma were a little less extreme, e.g. wanting a single shoe that could cover both business suits and sport coat combos, then a decedent compromise would be a wingtip oxford (e.g. McAllister) or semi-brogue oxford (e.g. Strand) in a dark but not black color. In fact, I'm not sure that could be called much of a "compromise." But, I don't think pairing dark oxfords with jeans should be attempted.

Last edited: May 1, 2016

6. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

Probably NOT what your looking for, but good information for the group in general. AE Wedding Offer:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/wedding.html

My opinion, sort of dissents from the prevailing. Faced with your situation, I would just suck it up and get a Black Park Ave, (actually for me, the Hopkinson since the 201 is a bit better fit for me). Going with something else to try and cover more bases, will likely find you facing the same decision at a later point down the road; like another wedding, funeral, interview etc. Rip off the bandaid and get it over. If you really have very few of the above events in your life, you can even look to a seconds pair, doubt anyone will know they're seconds but you. Black PA's also pop-up on Grailed on a regular basis, precisely because of the one wedding and done scenario.

So, not your beater Aldo's situation, but a frugal option if you don't wan't to drop the money on firsts.

Last edited: May 2, 2016

7. RTD1

RTD1 Senior Member

This. Black PAs or FAs for your charcoal suit and then just get a pair of beater department store shoes (a brown blucher of some sort) for your jeans.

8. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for advertising, so when Allen Edmonds sent the email about the Park Avenue, I decided to show mine some love!

This was my first shoe bank purchase, I think they were stretched out and returned, so they fit a little looser compared to my other 5-last shoes. I still like them but they don't get enough wear!

[​IMG]

9. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior Member

My Cambridges in burgundy finally came in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

For any of you have Amex cards, there's a $50 for $250 AE coupon just popped up until June.

11. Captm2016

Captm2016 Member

Slight off topic, but where's a good place to get some more colorful, high quality dress socks? Notice some pretty cool socks in some of these pics.

12. hohneokc

hohneokc Distinguished Member

Brown Jermyns with some really bad office carpet.
    [​IMG]

13. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior Member

I'm a fan of Nice Laundry

14. Middlife

Middlife Senior Member

Maybe a dark brown Leiden or McGregor if the bank still has your size.

15. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

New walnut Madison Avenue. Easily most comfortable AE I own out the box. It's a sleek cap toe blucher. I prefer these to the Clifton although the leather is not as thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.