Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Anyone with Oxblood Mcgregor's?

2. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

@peppercorn78 thanks for the advice on only buying shoes you really want. My hunch is that the bourbon isnt my preferred color and im trying to make it work simply because its at such a steep discount. At the end of the day, though, its not such a bargain if its sitting in my closet all the time. Thinking im going to sit on the sidelines for the time being in the hope that the oxbloods or walnuts go on sale.

Won't be easy though with you guys posting all these great pics in here lol!

3. metals37

metals37 Well-Known Member

My apologies. A reduction of greater than 20% seemed greater than "close enough" to me. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

4. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

I've got some chili McGregors on their way to me from the ShoeBank - if a blemish like that is all that's wrong with them I'll be thrilled.

I wouldn't treat it any differently. Maybe spend a little more time with it when using the conditioner / cleaner part of my shoe care routine, but nothing more.

5. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Senior member

Hi all,

I own a pair of dark chili McAllisters. These were firsts but I have a couple of concerns. The vamp seems to be stitched to one side and isn't straight.

Do I have the right size? It's a 65 last so I am using the same size for my Strands and those are perfect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. coop23us

coop23us Member

[​IMG]

My McGregors, also from the Bank. No idea what the flaw is here.

7. coop23us

coop23us Member

If those are firsts, I'd send the pics to AE and explain the issue. They still look nice. My strands fit similarly, though the laces are not as wide as yours. Funny how the Strands and my Fifths are on the 65, but lace up differently.

8. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

All of my shoes are the same width, and all pull to where the two sides are almost touching. I think I read somewhere that the two sides being straight and close together indicates a proper fit, but I'm not sure.

9. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Do your strands have that much of a "V-gap" too? Loos to me like you need to go up in width. When I get a gap that large the laces put painful pressure on the top of my foot too.

10. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

@7_rocket I've got a pair. Posted a picture of them yesterday. I'm in love with the color

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Most (if not all) of my AEs have the tongue stitched to one side. For me, those are at least a size too narrow. Did you get them from a store or online purchase? Post a pic of the v-gap on your strands if you could. My strands have about a 1/4 to 1/2" gap and the shoe fits me like a glove.

12. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

My Cornwallis are here!

They're absolutely tiny. Like all-around small. The heel is tight -- though I can fit in it, it takes my thinnest socks and shoehorn work to do so -- and the toebox is smaller than any other AE shoe I've every tried on in the same size. I can't lace it up.

Honestly, it almost feels like the whole shoe is an 8, not an 8.5. The heel is possibly correct and I'm pulling it tight with my forefoot. I really am at the limit of what I can jam my foot into without acting like on of Cinderella's step-sisters.

So, the "Based on the 1943" is absolute poppycock. Considering others here who told me it would be narrower than the 5 last, I guess this is just confirming and restating their findings.

On the plus side, it's an lovely shoe. Tiny, but quite handsome. The Tom Cruise of shoes, minus the jumping up and down on a couch.

And, a total aside, the last one I got and this one both have a very different finish than one I got last spring and summer. Someone here said they are spraying the finishes now, is that correct? It's a lot more even, but definitely a less organic looking treatment of the leather.

Oh, well. Off to talk to Melissa. She's going to hate me even more than she already does.

13. DeathandTaxes

DeathandTaxes Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Perhaps my most comfortable shoes by Allen Edmonds: some suede Ralph Lauren Sandersons.

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Amazing photos! I picked one of these bags up for my brother for Christmas, but he said he wouldn't use it probably. I already own a Saddleback bag that my wife got me, so now I have two beautiful bags to use.

Edit: sorry, I'm on my phone right now and I'm not sure how to "spoiler" the pics.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016

15. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

These look nice..that's snuff suede..right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.