• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Middlife

Reaction score
Hi fellas
Since I do not have an AE remotely close, I resort to online buying. These are the Strands I posted on here recently. I ordered what I thought was my true size (8d), but they seem long, while at the same time the V gap is a touch wide. The pictures below show me standing on my heel with toes off the ground to accentuate the bowing. And I realize those socks aren't really working with the tan suit...left in a rush this morn.

In your collective knowledge, does it look as though I should go 7.5E? I do love the unique coloring but they are def long on me.

Those don't look that bad to me. If you raise your heel, it's definitely going to cause bowing and I don't see it with you sitting down. The v-gap might be a touch wide, but not anything to fret about if the shoe fits everywhere else. Where on the shoe is the ball of your foot hitting (you can wear them around the house and look into the shoe with a flashlight to see where your foot is falling on the insole)? When I finally found my right size, I also felt like they fit a little long, but this feeling went away as the sole broke in.

I think it wouldn't hurt to try an 8E. What is your brannock size? Also helps to post pics of the brannock reading.

It looks like my foot is slightly back from the widest part.
I printed an AE Brannock yesterday and it shows 7.5d!

The sitting down picture is me sliding my foot forward to show the space at the heel.

I appreciate the feedback. Stupid questions to ask, but my city, as great as it is, lacks a lot style wise.[/QUOTE]
I would give 7.5E a shot if I were you.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OG Eagle County boots for the rain today.
I swear you and I have nearly identical taste in footwear. I feel like I'm one of the very few people on this board who have and prefer the original Eagle County to all those other SMUs with leather soles.

CMT1

Reaction score

@CMT1 Little story. I figured I would pick up a few things before the sale, then the rest during, just so I could at least give myself a chance in case I wanted any of the featured styles. So first one I got was the concord Ave. I thought this one totally flew under the radar and couldn't believe it was so low. So my thought was, go usual size and even though it might be really small, its unlined and navy suede. I wasn't prepared for such a contrast between the natural sole and dark suede.
It was like your eye would go right to it. I'm a really conservative dresser, and I was hoping these could due double duty (khakis & denim). Decided to go with the saddle leather. Whoa, big mistake, what a difference leather vs suede can have. I'm fighting them, I want them to work badly, but I'm "losing." They're right on the cusp of what id call too short (yet I know an extra half size would be way too much) and they bother me a lot at the instep. Damn nice shoes though.

Damn. There was really that much difference between the suede and saddle leather fitment? I hope they end up working out.

This pair in stone suede is really comfortable, but I'm somewhat surprised at the color variation I'm getting in different lights. They range from a lighter grey-ish tone to a very tan hue depending upon light, shade, etc., to the point where they can look like two different colors in pics:

vs:

Granted the first shot was with a DSLR and the second two are straight off an iPhone, so the color balance and processing is going to be very different, but it's actually a decent representation of what I saw today out and about. Aside from an off-white pair of Doc Martens bucks, these are my first foray into suede shoes and I had no idea that the color could change like this.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear you and I have nearly identical taste in footwear. I feel like I'm one of the very few people on this board who have and prefer the original Eagle County to all those other SMUs with leather soles.

Haha it seems so.

The OG Eagle County is awesome and I could not understand the hate on it. At the time I bought (about 2.5 years ago) I scored them at $127 as factory seconds and honestly felt like I hit the lottery. The leather on them is fantastic, waxy, and has a very Tan Dublin look to it, though I am not sure they actually used Horween leather on them. My only complaint is that I should have gone up a width in them, I can comfortably wear them with thinner socks but not boot socks.

This pic I found online back then that sold me on them.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember those $50 Harrisons I picked up?

Here's the pic from the eBay listing:

Here they are after I tree'd, cleaned, conditioned and polished them:

Here they are with their other adopted Independence cousin, the Hopkinson (paid $80 shipped).

Finally got a black captoe and my first black AE shoe.

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha it seems so. The OG Eagle County is awesome and I could not understand the hate on it. At the time I bought (about 2.5 years ago) I scored them at $127 as factory seconds and honestly felt like I hit the lottery. The leather on them is fantastic, waxy, and has a very Tan Dublin look to it, though I am not sure they actually used Horween leather on them. My only complaint is that I should have gone up a width in them, I can comfortably wear them with thinner socks but not boot socks. This pic I found online back then that sold me on them.
I got them for $127 as well, around the same time. I recall seeing that guy's post with photos of them which definitely helped sway me in the right direction. They do tend to run a bit narrow. I got an E width which is usually perfectly adequate, but I think an EEE may have been the optimal choice for them. Either way, I love them.

Newberry

Reaction score

Jst got here today. One of my biggest AE steals. A pair of firsts Allen Edmonds Cornwallis oxfords for $255. I think I'm actually happier with this pair than my AE Chili 5th Avenues that I got on the AE Anniversary Sale...

Buster Brown

Reaction score
Was about to put these away for the season and then the weather turned. Got to wear 'em twice this week :) I don't get to wear these often but they're one of my favorites. AE should launch a 'Connoisseur's Collection.' It would include a balmoral boot, Chelsea boot, gunboat, spectator and an opera pump. Multiple suede and shell options would be offered.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jst got here today. One of my biggest AE steals. A pair of firsts Allen Edmonds Cornwallis oxfords for $255. I think I'm actually happier with this pair than my AE Chili 5th Avenues that I got on the AE Anniversary Sale...

Very jealous! They are the next shoe on my list, but I've been waiting for them to come down in price. I have them in Walnut and absolutely love them. Really want a pair of them in brown, and would've jumped on the $255 deal if Bloomingdales had E or EEE widths.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few small drops of rain won't hurt these guys.
This is my only monk strap shoe, and I like them a lot.

Uncle

Reaction score
Thanks to @Mreams99 & @ Pudman43 for their advice on turning Bourbon into Dark Chili a few pages back. Much appreciated!

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aside from an off-white pair of Doc Martens bucks, these are my first foray into suede shoes and I had no idea that the color could change like this.

It's amazing; bitter chocolate can go from looking like a really dark brown to an almost vibrant color that I would mistake for snuff or brogue suede in some lighting.

Newberry

Reaction score

Very jealous!  They are the next shoe on my list, but I've been waiting for them to come down in price.  I have them in Walnut and absolutely love them.  Really want a pair of them in brown, and would've jumped on the $255 deal if Bloomingdales had E or EEE widths.

Before I bought these, I was hoping Nordstrom would put them on sale as part of their 2016 Anniversary Sale this July. Who know. Maybe they will. And they actually do have EEE widths. They look amazing in walnut too. How are yours holding up?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I bought these, I was hoping Nordstrom would put them on sale as part of their 2016 Anniversary Sale this July. Who know. Maybe they will. And they actually do have EEE widths. They look amazing in walnut too. How are yours holding up?

That would be great if they did.

My Walnuts are holding up well, although I've only worn them 2-3 times so far (they're still fairly new).

Dd1101

Reaction score
Out walking in chi town today.... My feet hurt but not as bad as I expected.

Rogues are slowing becoming my favs for casual wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads