Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I read a lot of these stories with those two styles. Can anyone comment on if the fixed this with the Sea Island?

2. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Sitting at my computer all day does have its perks :)

It is a great boot. Thank you!

I figured I could get by with the shirt until I get myself a matching belt.

3. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I'll toss in my $0.02. I would say it depends on how those 9D's fit. If don't have a lot of room in front of your toes in the 65, you may find the same size in the 511 short. You should definitely have more width at the ball of your foot in the 511, so if the 65 is snug in this area, the 511 may feel roomy. You won't have to worry about the V-Gap on the Leeds since its a blucher not a balmoral.

I Brannock 8.5 D+. Generally I fit best in an 8E on the 65 (though its possible an 8.5D is OK, but my V-Gap will suffer, I also prefer less space in front of my toes so going with the 8s is better for me), on the 511 I go with an 8D or 8E depending. 8D in the Dundee, 8D/E in the Dalton (the D's are fine, the E's allow me to wear thick boot socks better). I prefer the E's by a tiny bit in the Dalton.

Can't help with the 1943.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  4. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Thanks @Neo1, that's a really disheartening story but very good to know. The Concordia is snug on me but still very comfortable due to the super soft material, and my feet do not seem to budge much in them.

I just took a look at the soles and you weren't kidding - They are crazy thin in comparison to my other AE loafers!

With the Concord Ave:

[​IMG]

I honestly did not notice how thin the soles are until you pointed it out.

These were only $67 (so I've got that going for me), and while I do hope to get good use out of them with casual summer outfits, I certainly won't be looking to cover any long distances in them. I also doubt it will take very long to wear them out.

Again, thank you for the heads-up and please have a great night.

5. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@CMT1 Little story. I figured I would pick up a few things before the sale, then the rest during, just so I could at least give myself a chance in case I wanted any of the featured styles. So first one I got was the concord Ave. I thought this one totally flew under the radar and couldn't believe it was so low. So my thought was, go usual size and even though it might be really small, its unlined and navy suede. I wasn't prepared for such a contrast between the natural sole and dark suede. It was like your eye would go right to it. I'm a really conservative dresser, and I was hoping these could due double duty (khakis & denim). Decided to go with the saddle leather. Whoa, big mistake, what a difference leather vs suede can have. I'm fighting them, I want them to work badly, but I'm "losing." They're right on the cusp of what id call too short (yet I know an extra half size would be way too much) and they bother me a lot at the instep. Damn nice shoes though.

6. Southwick

Southwick Senior member

No cringing here...I used to be in my (late) 20's once. A long, long, time ago...

7. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

How similarly do the 201 independence line shoes fit in comparison to say the Rogue or First Ave boots?

8. Southwick

Southwick Senior member

They are beauties. Keep em, wear em, and enjoy em in good health.

9. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Embracing my inner "old" man today. Cardigan, color I believe is labeled as oatmeal, and loafers. Wear one of the above alone and you get the old man stigma. Wear them both together? Worlds might collide today, we'll see. 33 years old for the record and I'd wear both loafers and cardigans every day of the year
    [​IMG]

10. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I have a pair of Hopkinsons and recently tried on a pair of Rogues in the same size. IMO, the Rogues felt like they had a fuller toe box, too much volume across the top of my forefoot and the lacing was damn near closed (I have a shallow arch). I was really surprised they were even made on the same last to be honest, they felt totally different.

11. gm928

gm928 Senior member

12. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

13. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Did you try a different size? I think if you went up a width you would fit the Hopkinson... and I can tell you first hand, that shoe is sooooooo nice.

14. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Long wings, dark denim, and some digital camo socks today.
    I'd say these Fenways are getting close to oxblood. Pretty crazy to think they started out as walnut (or tan?).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. gm928

gm928 Senior member

Speaking of things that are close to oxblood, here are some nominally "russet brown" Sauk Drives. Potatoblood?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.