1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

Thanks. I really hope my usual size works with the Lasalle I ordered, but I have some doubts given that it has the poron insole. My Wilberts were way too tight in my usual size, but the Malones I ordered were perfect.

2. tmchow

tmchow Senior Member

Just got my brown neumoks delivered yesterday. Wow, what a ridiculously comfortable shoe!

This has probably been brought up before, but given searching on SF is a mess, I will ask again:

I want to give myself more traction on the Neumoks over the default leather sole. What is a recommended sole option and any special instructions I need to give a cobbler? My used McAllisters I got off ebay had this sole (which I think is a "combination tap sole"?) and it's sewn into the sole.

[​IMG]

And bonus points if any of you all are in seattle downtown area and can recommend a cobbler.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016

3. CptStern

CptStern Member

I did a quick inventory last night just see where I went wrong. I have 8 pairs on 6 different lasts. None were on the 65 last. All but one pair fit like a condom. The other was tight in the width but now that they are broken in they fit great too.

I definitely need to get into a store for 65 last fitting session.

4. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

For future reference, you can order your shoes with that sole from AE for an extra $40, or a cobbler can put one on, probably for less. If the cobbler does it right you should have no problem with a future re-craft. IMO they always look better when done by AE. But you'll form your own opinion.

5. tmchow

tmchow Senior Member

Yeah I knew that, but Nordstrom had a great deal in Neumoks whereas AE.com did not.

Can you send shoes to AE.com for adding of the combination tap sole when bought somewhere else?

6. naspratt

naspratt Distinguished Member

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of shell strand seconds; the sales associate said they have a small "indentation" on the left shoe by the pinky toe. Hoping it's something relatively innocuous. *fingers crossed*

If not, up in the air about whether to buy a pair of firsts or give C&J a try for cordovan.

7. vmss

vmss Senior Member

it's still there. Someone placed a bid and will expire in couple of hours.

8. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Senior Member

Anyone experiencing stitch fraying from brushing your shoes?

9. gatszu

gatszu Senior Member

^ I do on all my shoes. Especially the stitches at the toe cap

10. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior Member

This is a blind recommendation so take it with a grain of salt: Dave Page in Fremont is the recommended cobbler for Danner, Zamberlan and other hiking boot brands. I know, not the same thing but he's used to dealing with welts and 'recraftable' footwear so he should be a step up from the random cobbler used to gluing pumps and heels back together. Let me know if you check him out. I travel there frequently and am hoping to visit his shop on an upcoming trip.

11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

I'll be honest, I have no clue why anyone brushes non-shell leather shoes. Polishing with a cloth is all I do. Maybe wipe gently with a dry cloth if there's dust or something. I have tried brushing and it does nothing notable. Seems like dogma more than anything, but YMMV.

12. HealthActuary

Okay whewwww.

13. tmchow

tmchow Senior Member

Thanks for the reco. I just emailed him to find out if this is his jam.

14. Raibeart Bruis

Raibeart Bruis Member

I got these walnut McAllister's recently. I'm curious if these two issues are "character" or if I should exchange them for a different pair.

#1 - I like the streaked look of the walnut calf finish, but this looks more like a blotch.
    [​IMG]

#2 - The stain wasn't evenly applied to this area, or it dripped off.
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think? I haven't worn these outside yet so I assume exchanging them would be no big deal.

15. HealthActuary

A polish or two and you'd be good to go

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.