Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I have seen all of them. I'd choose the darker tan.

2. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

Walnut warwicks finally came in....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016

3. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

That's what I'm leaning towards. Thanks.

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I had the same experience with the Larchmont. It was a strange feeling to put them on and to believe "they just didn't look right." I am sure it is a proportion thing but I was completely unable to put it into words. They went back into the box and were returned that same day. I never looked back or regretted sending them back. I have a sufficient number of nice shoes that there is no point in keeping a dust collector.

5. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Sorry - you'll have to put up with me being opinionated but I'll try to keep it on point.

The engineer in a boat shoe is super cliché to the point where I cant stand it - I try to avoid that at all costs, hence why I hate boat shoes. Now, bias aaside, having said that - the Center Fielder is literally the most crappy shoe I've ever seen from AE - I saw one in person once (haven't tried it) and it just didn't seem worthy of their name. If you've looked at other boat shoes, consider the following - the Eastport is sort of heavy duty, like a really really high end version of a sperry goldcup billfish. I'm not into that kind of thing but it seemed pretty solid. Now, knowing where I'm coming from, as a total hater of boat shoes, the Kirkwood/Maritime is absolutely the best thing I"ve seen in terms of a boat shoe - the comfort of the CXL just blows this out of the water. If you want boat shoes, I wouldn't consider anything but these.

Ah...drivers, now you're speaking my language. I currently own the Grand Cayman, I80 & Ventura Hwy. If you've ever experienced the 114, the super short length is a pain in the ass. From the description, the 2592 is supposed to be the 114 plus a touch of extra length. This turns out to vary all over the place. Luckily, with the Ventura it's true - take the 114 (which is a pretty standard fit otherwise) and stretch the length a little bit. Very soft flexible leather. Biggest issues here - they run narrow which was good for me, but the material is so flexible they still bow a little bit, and the primary thing - I had to go through quite a few pairs that didn't have defects. And by defects I mean one shoe is like a half size longer than the other. Noticeable. Haven't experienced this level of problems with anything before, not sure what was going on with this one. Good shoe, basic, no frills. No way I'd pay retail for something like this, but at the clearance prices hard to pass up. Actually wearing mine right now.

6. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

This is too funny - back when I got my Larchmonts - I tried them on in-store. More than one SA said wow, they look good on you, etc. I totally hated the way they looked. Wore them the next day for like 8 hours straight, non-stop walking. No pain, no break-in whatsoever. That's VERY rare. But I still don't like the look. The 333 might have been the most comfortable fitting last I'd ever tried but they just didn't look right. Vanity, definitely my favorite sin.

7. gm928

gm928 Senior member

The mysterious Exchange Place has reappeared on the Shoebank, this time with a picture:

http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=5015S&DIM=D&SIZE=085

It looks like a variant on the PA, but I can't figure out what's different, other than it costing an extra $16. I'm assuming that it's a PA made for some special retailer or another, but I still can't find where these are actually being sold as firsts.

8. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

PA is a six eyelet; this is five. That's one thing. Also, no piping around the back of the Exchange.

9. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I bought a walnut McGregor, but the vamp was weirdly wrinkled. There weren't any more available, so I ordered the walnut Larchmont. I received them two weeks ago, but haven't worn them yet. There's something different about the look and I can't quite decide what I want to do. I have a pair of Flatirons that I love, so I think these will grow on me.

10. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Aight gents, make or break time for the Vernons I picked up from the bank. It might just be me, but the Vernon seems like it's made from a different (higher quality) leather than the other AE calf shoes that I own and it's also made with a combo dovetailed heel, which is usually reserved for their premium collections. For those of you who own them, how do you like them? How do you guys order your 108 lasted shoes compared to the 65?

I picked these up in the same size as the 65. The v-gap is completely closed before break in, but the rest of the shoe fits a bit snugger than the 65. Will they break in too much?

11. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

I am also curious to know how the 108 last will fit me. My usual size is 8 D, but the store only had 8.5 D. I tried the Carlyle in 8.5 D and it fit fine, but the shoe looked a bit too long. Kelsey at the Jeffersonville store told me the 108 last is large, but that it fits somewhat different than the 511 last. The 511 Leeds I have fits perfectly. I'll get to find out on Friday if the 8 D Lasalle works for me. With the exception of the Wilbert, all my shoes have been comfortable in my usual 8 D size.

12. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

I have the Vernon and absolutely love it. It's probably my best-fitting AE shoe. Super comfy, and the V-gap is not an issue (unlike some of my 65-last shoes). I've had these for about five years, and they've broken in wonderfully.

Bernie

13. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Extinct shoes I regret missing out on in recent months:

1. Clark Street Casual Shoes - shoebank had 1 left in my size. I thought about it for a few days and now it's gone.
    2. Lasalle in Bourbon - this was made before I discovered AE shoes, and I am sad I never got a chance to buy one.
    3. Leeds in chili / brown - I love my black Leeds, but I wish they had another color other than the grain brown.
    4. Malone in outland brown - Nordstrom Rack had 1 left and it was in 8D, and I waited a few weeks and it was gone. I have a pair of Malones in walnut, but I would prefer outland brown (the wilbert color).

I also wish they offered the Carlyle with a poron insole.

14. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

You are all wrong on the Larchmonts.

15. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

108 is better for higher insteps IME. I sized up a width from my 511 last size for my Carlyle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.