Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Well the warwick is on a different last that lets me go with 9.5D rather than E. For the 65 last I can't wear 9.5D it's too tight. I like your justification as that was going to be mine haha.

Not a bad idea I'll have to check that out. I didn't think they would apply to it sales.

2. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you -- if they put the shoe out in a full run AFTER it has been out for months that would make no sense. AE does questionable things sometimes, but I would hope they wouldn't wait to satisfy their customers who buy narrow width shoes (like me).

3. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Wow - your instep must be really high. I do have a V-gap I'm not thrilled with in my 65-last Rush Street pair (same pattern as Strand) that I don't see in my other 5-last shoes, including my 3 pairs of McTavishes (same pattern as the McAllister you have on). BTW - moving to an E or going up a size (D or E) didn't help get the closure I was looking for on my Rush Streets...

That said, if you have a AE or ShoeBank location hand, I'd check the fit again...

4. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I've definitely read that most people find the McT's run a bit wide compared to other 65 last shoes, and I'm pretty sure I read that some people find the McA tends to run a bit more narrow than a typical 65 (the Strand and PA I suppose). Then again, the OP might have stumbled on an aberrant pair.

I'm with you, I'd check the fit again; not only with a brannock, but if possible, trying on multiple pairs of 65's in both D and E widths.

5. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Wore my khaki (grain) McTavishes today. In support of some of the theories about the fit of McTavishes, my McTavishes are a little looser than my other 65 last shoes, so I put an Allen-Edmonds Orthotic insert in them and now I am (as Hubert Humphrey used to say), "Pleased as punch" with the fit of my McTavishes.......

[​IMG]

6. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Hmmm... I thought the McTavish and the McAllister we the same pattern, with the McT getting a storm welt, rough leathers, etc. I was assumng they'd run the same...

7. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

They are the same pattern, but I believe the roomier fit on the McT is due to the leather. Maybe it doesn't conform as tightly to the last during the lasting process. My McT's are a touch less snug than my other 65's, though, I still had to go with an E width on mine to accommodate my instep, i.e. I did't size down.

Edit: Ultimately, the best advice always boils down to try them on and see what happens.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  8. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Very interesting, and noted...

Totally agree

10. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just in case anyone wanted a (slightly) better look at the Larchmonts before I returned them.

11. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Thanks! I actually was inspired to take the picture outside this morning because of the great photos that you provide. The natural lighting makes all the difference.

12. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

Clever idea. Could one just order full price shoes from another retailer using a price-matching CC, then use Bloomingdale's as a lower price even though it's out of stock? My thought process is that they don't know when a particular size went out of stock.

13. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Depends on the CC company. Some require the the size, color, and in-stock status to be the same and others don't (Discover is pretty liberal IME). Then again, it's not too difficult to hide some of those facts if they are different. I've done that in the past when I've found a better price, but after getting the claim started with my CC company the item went OOS.

14. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

What do you guys think is the most versatile color for the Sea Island?

The blue looks fantastic in the pictures, but I'm not sure how well they would really go with denim. So I guess I'm choosing between the two tan variations.

15. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

How does the 0 last compare to the 65 last?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.