1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsallstrom

fsallstrom Member

thanks, will definitely try that one

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Well-Known Member

Very Nice! Could you describe how the sizing compares the MacNeil? If I'm a 10.5 B in the MacNeil, would you recommend staying with the same size in vintage Florsheim?

Thanks!

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I like. Would prefer a split toe, but I could see myself in those.

6. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Very Nice! Could you describe how the sizing compares the MacNeil? If I'm a 10.5 B in the MacNeil, would you recommend staying with the same size in vintage Florsheim?

Thanks!
    I think the size is remarkably similar between the two. A previous pair of MacNeils were tight across the vamp of my right foot and this pair felt exactly the same. I normally have shoes stretched a bit and I did so with the Florsheim last night with my handy vamp stretcher. Now they fit very nicely. I would go with the 10.5B if you were considering a pair.

7. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

Not to mention that 90% of the black square toed cheap shoes worn by the masses are bicycle toe.

8. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

In the market for an inexpensive pair of boots for foul weather duty. I assumed I'd be getting some cheap Target chukkas, but at $107 Freiburg seconds seem like a decent option.

Agree / disagree?

1 person likes this.
  9. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

I have always thought they were hideous and in abundance. Didn't realize it was an universally hated style.

10. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I'm looking forward to seeing a navy Cornwalis.
    I had hoped to get a navy Weybridge before the MTO program was cancelled.

11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

If they had rubber on the soles I would totally agree. If your talking REALLY foul weather there is the Sturgis at $167 (1st) $127 (2nd), but at that point, I would just get a Redwing Beckman 2nd.

12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Ugh! Whenever I see the ones you mentioned, I think "What is it with these people and ducks."

13. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

Not terrible weather, just the long walk from the parking lot to the office door in a Florida storm. It's usually enough for me to get the soles and uppers of my shoes good and wet. So far I haven't done any lasting damage, but it'd be nice not to worry at all.

I believe the Freiburgs have a v-tread sole.

14. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Hmm blue dress shoes... Would that be too tacky? Wouldn't mind the Cornwallis in blue

15. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

So as I'm about to put on my third different pair of shoes in the same day, I was wondering, what's the most pair of shoes you have worn in a day? I'm going on pair at work (McCalister), gym (boat shoes), after gym (different boat shoes), and if I go out tonight it'll be a fourth pair. Mini hurricane winds and the fact I work tomorrow will probably keep me at 3 pairs today.

16. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

3 for me, 2 dress shoes and 1 pair of nikes. Uncommon to do more than 2 in a day however.

17. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I'm gonna chime in on this. Ordinarily I would agree, but I think the sojourner I just got has the same bicycle toe look as that road warrior and I think it works pretty well. What a weird fit though....

Little more detail for those that care - I generally have a lot of trouble with sneakers, 7 being too short, 7.5 being too long. Liked the look of these since they didn't have that screaming contrast white sole. The toe box is humongous, like the Gobi. Already developing significant creases due to the volume. The heel cup is just bizarro - it's so padded it feels incredibly narrow. On top of that, with the way the leather on the outside is constructed, the back of the shoe actually hits right below the ankle. This can be pretty excruciating. Anyone who's broken in a red wing knows about the legendary ankle pain, and this is reminiscent of that. But...overall these due provide a ton of support. Mixed feelings - I like the look, I like the support and the hefty feel, but the front is a little too voluminous, and that heel thing hitting at the ankles is pretty bad. I'll see if that improves with wear.

18. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

3 as well. Eastports for morning errands, golf shoes and Strandmocks for a casual date.

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

To anyone who dares to claim that apron toe derbies are inherently ugly, I present you with the work of Antonio Meccariello.

I defy you to hold to that opinion. :p

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I've done 4 before: Saucony trainers for morning jog, AE Voyagers to walk the kids to school, Dundees to teach my college course, then Vass monks for a gig at night.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.