Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basura ka

basura ka Member

So I had a dilemma yesterday. I ordered the 5th Ave in Chili early last week. Yesterday, Friday, I haven't gotten the call from the AE store that I ordered from so I figured it is on back order, like what I read early on this thread. In the meantime, the Tan Strandmok, which I also ordered last week came in. Now I was debating if I should wait 4 weeks or just get the Strandmok.
    I do have the 5th Ave in Walnut already. But I also have the Strand in Walnut.
    The Chili 5th Ave is for dress, while the Strandmok is more casual, so apples vs oranges, right? But considering the price is the same for both, the 5th Ave being $150 off, and the Strandmok just $50 off, which one would you guys pick? I think I'm leaning towards the 5th Ave just because it's discounted more. But All my AEs are dress shoes, I don't have one for casual Fridays yet - would be great to have the Strandmok. Any of you aware of any future sale again? Also, do you guys have a pair that you've bought and have never worn?? I've had my Walnut Strand for about a month but I haven't worn it. Kinda want to save it for a special occassion.

2. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Senior member

Dropped off my strand collection double flap briefcase at the ae store (they'll send it to korchmar) so it can be repaired for free.
    Eta of about 3 weeks.

I'm loving my oxblood graysons so much, even more than the love i thought i had with the cavanaugh. Im glad the cavanaugh's last didnt work with my foot as the graysons, imo, are sooooo much better.
    The back of my heel though is getting a little tender, but these shoes are only 2 wearings old and will soften up as I wear them more.
    My dundee 2.0 in suede also tore up some ankle skin and after like 7 wearings they were beyond comfortable.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  3. basura ka

basura ka Member

I had a similar experience although with the Mora 2.0 in Bourbon when they clearanced it back in Feb. I sent pics to AE custormer service and they pretty much just matched the price for the seconds which was $177, compared to the clearance price of rhe first for $217. I was still very pleased overall. The defects I noticed on mine were: straps looked really worn, black line markings on the toe, and scratch on the back of one of the shoes.

This is also not the first I've received a first quality shoes with defects. I bought a Walnut Strand in Early March that the store had to special order because the one on the store in my size had a defect in the welt channel/cavity. But when the shoes came in, the vamp on one if the shoe was really wrinkly. I was concerned about how it would affect the whole shoe over time so I returned it. The replacement took a couple weeks but was generally ok however, there was still some welt issues where an inch if the stiching was off of the channel on both shoes and uneven stitching on the back. One month from my original order and three replacements later, AE gave me a $100 GC for the troubles.

4. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

I called the only AE store nearby and they said they don't carry the shannon drives, but would look at the shoe and help me reorder.
    My guy tells me that the online customer service would be more generous in trying to resolve the situation than a brick-and-mortar AE store.
    Given I'll need to have an online reorder anyways, I figure I should just wait to hear back from AE.com customer service.

Anyone have familiarity with customer service between a store and online?

5. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

Actually on second look of the photo I posted, it makes it look lighter than they are in real life. They are definitely more orange and darker than other walnuts I've seen.

6. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

So my dad picked up a pair of Vernons from the bank that didn't fit him, so I tried them on and they fit me very well. The thing is, these have a pretty bad scuff on both the welt and the toe that makes me wonder if hey will drop an extra % off the price for us to keep them.

What do you guys think? What % have you had success asking for discounts on seconds that have egregious issues?

Another odd thing is that these do not have the seconds mark on the sole, so that makes me think the scuff is the only issue.

7. Swiper

Swiper Well-Known Member

They're seconds and you already got a steep discount. If you don't like them then send them back but I wouldn't consider this flaw bad for seconds based on the picture. It looks like a bit of edge dressing and polish would take care of that.

8. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Ratting it up by the pool today in my absolutely beloved Eastports. They are the oldest pair of AEs that I own, and if I am honest with myself they are also my favorite, most-used pair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Behold! The glamour shot:

[​IMG]

It's going to be a sad day for me when these finally give up the ghost, but neatsfoot oil and gorilla glue has kept them in service for a lot longer than I expected, so I have no complaints!

I hope everyone's weekend is going well, as always.

9. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

The more I wear my natural Oak Streets, the more the natural color grows on me. Natural shell? Yes please.

10. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

[​IMG]

11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Very nice.....similar to my BB/C&J shoes: [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

Thanks for posting those pics Polo and backinthjox!!

13. basura ka

basura ka Member

I've had the same level of customer service both online and in store. somewhat. In store, they were very accomodating, even offering to honor the anniversary pricing for back orders. Even if the wait is 4 weeks and not paid yet.
    I did get a lot more on the online CS. They were able to 2nd day a replacement shoe, as well as give me a GC for the inconvenience. However, expect not to get a response for a few days if you send them an email. I've had to call them directly just to follow up on an email I've sent.
    In my opinion, try the .com CS first.

14. gm928

gm928 Senior member

I don't live near a real AE store, but I can say that service from the customer assistance center by telephone has been excellent. They've always taken the time to ask questions and make sure that they understand what I want. Once, I called to order a pair of shoes on a Friday, and they told me that the shoes were going on sale the following Monday and they gave me the sale price.

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Your dog just made me [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.