Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

What sizes and colors? Are you willing to help some SF bros out?

2. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Sounds awesome (tho blue might be something like a 5th Ave for me)...

I believe he hinted at as much during his recent reddit PMA - for MTOs in general, he suggested that he would be open to small group buys ...

3. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Friday to the Forum. I was going to take a picture, but being a creature of habit, I suddenly realized I was wearing the same pants from an earlier picture, so I just decided to use it again.

[​IMG]

4. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

I assume you cannot take advantage of sale prices when you do this since sales typically involve an overstocked item. For shoes that already cost $300- $400 I cannot afford adding on another $100 for shell as much as I want some nice shell shoes. :-(

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016

5. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I got mine out of the box. If it would get above 50 degrees, I might actually get to wear them.

6. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

That was why the original StyleForum MTO program got nixed: too many orders for sale or clearance shoes, leading to several dozen $179 boots going out that would have retailed over $300. They were not cognizant of the beast they were creating, and it ended up as an Ouroboros effect.

Also, it would be $110 on top of the $650 retail price for shell; not the $395 calf base price.

7. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

...Just to clarify...

It's $110 on top of the normal price of a current shell model, which is $650 for shoes & $725 for boots.

So, take a calf Rogue ($395), add $255 for normal shell price ($650), then add $110 for an "MTO" makeup ($760).

$760 for shell selection on shoes, $825 for shell on boots in shell colors they stock (Burgundy, Brown, Black). Then add $40 (I think) if you want JR soles.

IMO...

In my mind, that's pricing at or above AE's seemingly better quality, international competitors for shoes, maybe not boots. US customers pay less for Carmina stock makeups, for example, which could be an alternative (e.g., #8 double monk v #8 Mora 2.0 "MTO"). For boots - Carmina and C&J are closer to $1,000... so maybe there's value in the odd boot? Is a C&J (read Peal & Co) cap toe boot $175 better than an "MTO" 1st Ave? Maybe not...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016

8. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

E has a bad habit of eliminating good colors. Why was the Leeds in chili discontinued? Why was the Walton in brown discontinued? They should also bring back the bourbon colors.

9. danwatts2005

Let's see if we can not wreck it this time. Personally I won't be trying to complain about minor issues like a dust spot on one shoe being cause for return and remake. However, if a 1/4" nail is sticking out of the footbed, I would send those back.

10. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Yeah, I would hope that at least the JR sole would come along with the shell upcharge. Good point about Carmina; and C&J is almost as cheap for boots if you do mail order from UK of stock models (~$850 excluding VAT with shipping). Nonetheless, I'm glad to see some attempt to work with the customers, at a relatively reasonable price. They should make more models available in shell to begin with, but I can't object to the upcharge for models not typically made in shell. C&J doesn't do it for free on one-offs, either.

11. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Whiner. That's a feature. Keeps your heel from slipping.

12. danwatts2005

My gripe is why should there be an upcharge for a burgundy Strand? They already make the strand in shell, and they have the burgundy shell, and it takes 8 weeks to make either one, so they aren't already made, so why is it a custom? A Carlyle or FA, I could see, since it isn't made in shell at all. That said, I'll eventually end up sucking it up and paying the extra if I can't talk them out of it. Whining over.

13. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

14. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

Quote:BCF= Burlington Coat Factory, I believe.

15. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Get them in shell!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.