Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

They're moving away from piping and toward unfinished top lines. Look at the independence collection. No piping on any of the models. Me no like.

Thanks! Only walnut I have is a Rutledge; I was thinking about picking up Strands from Bloomingdale's during this sale, but I'm on the fence since I already have a Strand in brown and want one in shell. The Lexingtons are burgundy; I MTO'd them with a Dainite sole before they were offering that as a stock option.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Ah, so that is just a sample of the collection. God I want a Rutledge that fits.

3. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Do any of you guys drive standard vehicles and find that wearing AE's results in additional creasing/scuffing on the clutch shoe?

4. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

I haven't had any issues, but i try to keep the action at the knee and not rest my heel on the floor when changing gear. I guess i just stay more cognizant of what's around my feets when I'm wearing nicer stuff....my combat boots i don't worry about. :D

5. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Oh yeah, that's about 1/2 of the collection; most of the dressier shoes. I also have:
    Loafers - Burgundy shell Westchester; black Verona
    Balmorals - dark chili Fifth Aves; walnut Rutledge; brown/linen Strawfut (and a J&M black cap-toe)
    Bluchers - chocolate suede Players; sand suede Boones
    Boots - MTO chili calf/chocolate suede Fifth Streets; tan Freiburg (and a blue suede chukka from Jeffery West)

Speaking of, here's the Friday Freiburg:
    [​IMG]

I want to trim the collection to make room for more shell, but I still want Carlyles, Cornwallis, Rogues, and a Madison Park. Help, I'm out of control!

Edit: oh yeah, forgot my green Maritimes. Damn it, my wife might have a point.

6. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Walnut Strands polished with dark brown over the years. J

[​IMG]

7. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I had received an email from the LaSalle Street store as a follow up to my Cavanaugh purchase of last week. I wrote back, thanking them for the follow up service, and also inquiring about a burgundy shell Strand.

Her response this morning:

"You will never believe this, but we just got an email on Wednesday saying that they are expanding our Cordovan program a bit. We are now able to offer any shoe that we carry in our normal calfskin line as a shell cordovan in either black, brown or burgundy. There is an upcharge of $110 for special makeup shoes, but we can definitely get you a burgundy Strand if that is what you want."

8. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Scuffing, yes - but only when I was really heel-toeing it.

Creasing, yes - think of it like standing on one foot and going from tiptoe to flat foot over and over and over.

That said... condition, cream, polish, and trees are your friends. My shoes looked rougher when I was driving a standard (s2000, now in someone else's care, in case you were wondering), but only in the intervals between care. Sometimes, I'd be cognizant of what I was wearing. Other times, I just wanted to thrash my car around. Part of the joy of driving a fully mechanical automobile (none of this silly, electronic-assisted nonsense).

9. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

I have heard the same. I like the idea for shoes that aren't currently offered in any shell... but a 17% upcharge for a different color shell (brown to burg)? Seems odd.

Thought of another way - would I spend $110 more for a burgundy strand than for a burgundy cambridge? Would I pay $75 more for a calf strand than a calf McAllister in the same color (using the same % upcharge on the calf price)?

10. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

This was their standard "leather change" fee; they applied it to calf as well I recall. So it's a 28% upcharge for calf. Which is still less than Carmina or Bonafe charge for one-off MTOs. I don't like it either, but it's not unusual in the shoe world.

11. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Hmm, maybe I'll get a burgundy Rogue. But then what color to get the Strand, Cornwallis, and Carlyle? I really need another trunk show so I can get a blue shell Carlyle. And a Color 2 Cornwallis.

12. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

That's kind of my hang up. I don't understand why they don't offer the burgundy Strand as stock, since they have the burgundy in all the other colors. I really like the Strand look better than the McAllister/Cambridge, so it's probably that they know there are suckers out there like me who will pay it.

Of course, with these possibilities, a shell Cornwallis might be in my future.

13. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Maybe if we promise not to abuse it, Paul would approve waiving the MTO fee for groups of 6 just looking for a specific shell color, leaving everything else stock...

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@MattRiv I've said before I don't use eBay since I seem to come across so many deals on my own, so picture this -

Ghetto BCF, bad area. 5 pairs of Rutledge, at least 2 firsts, all really good shape. 139.99 a pop, all 0.5 sizes too long for me. I feel your pain.

15. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

What's a BCF?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.